Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lap top gone I pad instead

• 06-03-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My laptop has died I was thinking of replacing it with an I pad.
    I mainly use the laptop for the net e mail movies and a little bit of word processing.
    Would the iPad do the job.
    I have an I phone and I love it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

yes it would provided you don't need a dvd drive , i done the same and love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have a look in a shop and ask them while trying various things out.
    But yeah, should work just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hey..

How do you do the word processing bits...You can install apps like Word Can you ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A word of warning... the iPad 3/HD is due to be released today, American time. So you can expect to get a more up to date model or the iPad 2 at a discount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hey..

How do you do the word processing bits...You can install apps like Word Can you ?

No Word. You can connect a keyboard add-on and use Pages. But you're planning to do a lot of word processing I wouldn't recommend an iPad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

No Word. You can connect a keyboard add-on and use Pages. But you're planning to do a lot of word processing I wouldn't recommend an iPad.

Just so people are aware. Pages is Apples equivalent of Word and you can effectively do all the same things in Pages that you can in Word. Once you are finished with a document you can then save/mail/export it as a .doc file or a PDF or leave it in pages format.

As SP stated, if you are planning on creating and editing lots of large and complex word documents for work (as an example) then the iPad & external keyboard may not suit your requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Hey..

I use "docs to go" covers Word, Excel and Powerpoint

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

I haven't gotten rid of my laptop but I do use it a lot less now

Pluses and minues (IMO)

+
    Far more portable
    Better battery than average laptop
    If you prefer your iPhone, you'll probably find browsing the net a nicer experience.
    Email is much smoother

-
    Typing a lot of information can be a painful experience so you will need a wireless keyboard
    I still use my laptop to copy over content like photos etc. 32gb might not be enough storage for everyone if you have a large music/photo/app collection.
    If you have a seperate mp3 player, you'll need to think about how you plan on adding new music to it.
    Certain sites won't work fully, there's generally a work around.

From what you've written it sounds like it should be very manageable for you. for anything you are worried about, there generally is a workaround so google will help a lot there

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

steve_r wrote: »
    I haven't gotten rid of my laptop but I do use it a lot less now

Pluses and minues (IMO)

+
    Far more portable
    Better battery than average laptop
    If you prefer your iPhone, you'll probably find browsing the net a nicer experience.
    Email is much smoother

-
    Typing a lot of information can be a painful experience so you will need a wireless keyboard
    I still use my laptop to copy over content like photos etc. 32gb might not be enough storage for everyone if you have a large music/photo/app collection.
    If you have a seperate mp3 player, you'll need to think about how you plan on adding new music to it.
    Certain sites won't work fully, there's generally a work around.

From what you've written it sounds like it should be very manageable for you. for anything you are worried about, there generally is a workaround so google will help a lot there

Thanks for all that guys

Advertisement