Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall

Options
  • 06-03-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'm not sure whether this is the right forum for my request: if not, perhaps someone might be able to re-direct me. I'm looking for the location of an address in Rose Terrace, Wharf Road, Fairview. I can't seem to find it on any map, and suspect it may no longer exist - my mother last lived there in 1916. It's been suggested that Wharf Road was what is now called East Wall Road, but I can't confirm this. Anyone out there from the area, and with a long memory?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm not sure whether this is the right forum for my request: if not, perhaps someone might be able to re-direct me. I'm looking for the location of an address in Rose Terrace, Wharf Road, Fairview. I can't seem to find it on any map, and suspect it may no longer exist - my mother last lived there in 1916. It's been suggested that Wharf Road was what is now called East Wall Road, but I can't confirm this. Anyone out there from the area, and with a long memory?

The Dublin City Forum might be worth a try. You'll find it under "Regions".

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,717206,736167,7,9

the OSI have historic maps on line and free to view, have a look at the 25" map as it covers 1913

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Take a look at here mate, there might be something of interest...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,501944.0.html

http://roots.swilson.info/dublin1904streets.html

I've also asked a fella who has family living in the area for generations, when I hear back from him I'll let you know if there's anything useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

Thanks, men. I've been around all the OS maps I can find, both modern and back to 1912, but so far without success. I've also had a look through the street index for the area on the 1911 census, also without result. There are a few complicatiions with the area. For a start, there's been a lot of land reclamation around there, so that what was once a wharf might now be inland a bit; and also, I believe people used to describe places as 'Fairview' when they were closer to the North Wall, because it sounded more posh. Thanks for all suggestions so far, and the quest goes on.

That 'swilson' site has come up with something. It lists Rose Terrace as being along or off East Wall, with no mention of Wharf Road. This is bringing me back to the idea that Wharf Road is an old name for East Wall Road, though I've no other evidence to support this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

OP - ask in this forum - you'll have an answer in no time....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1288

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books//NorthDub/cosgrave12.html
    The East Wall is sometimes called the Wharf Road from the Wharf, a slip apparently constructed more than a century ago for the use of bathers and still so used.

http://www.turtlebunbury.com/published/published_books/docklands/east_wall/pub_books_docklands_eastwallplacenames.html
    East Wall Road – Named for the first enclosing wall built in the early 18th century in order to reclaim the mud flats of the North Strand upon which East Wall now stands. The older generation also called this Wharf Road after a bather’s slip constructed in the 18th century, now under reclaimed land.

Fantastic! Chapters and Turtlebunbury provided the confirmation I needed that 'Wharf Road' was in fact another, older, name for East Wall. Now I intend to cycle in there and see whether Rose Terrace still exists somewhere along it. Many thanks to all who responded, you've been a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I'm on the same cycle - yesterday cycled most of the route of Joyce's An Encounter (from Dubliners), and found it surprisingly unchanged.

In this, the boys walk out along North Strand Road from the canal bridge (where the narrator has been patting the warm granite of the old bridge in time to a song...) and turn right at the Vitriol Works along the Wharf Road.

Then they "come to the Smoothing Iron". I wonder what the Smoothing Iron is, or was. (Turns out it's an old bathing place, now under reclaimed land. This http://www.robotwisdom.com/jaj/jajdublin.html "James Joyce Dublin map" (not great, but helpful) shows it - on the bottom right of the map.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the seabank house used to be called the wharf tavern, maybe its bear there

• Advertisement

the seabank house used to be called the wharf tavern, maybe its bear there

Have discovered that The Wharf Road was an old name for East Wall Road. I now have the route, and will photograph it and share it on the Mapmarks app when I've done it.

Oh, and the Vitriol Works was on Poplar Row/North Strand Road corner.

Though wait, wait... it seems that Ringsend Park (where I assumed the ridge was) didn't exist as a field in 1894, but was slobland. The story has the boys go to a huckster's shop in Ringsend, then chase a cat up a lane and into a field, which has this ridge where they lounge and look across at the Dodder.

I've tried looking at the Ordnance Survey's online 1890s map of Ringsend, but find it difficult to translate it into reality, to find a lane leading to a field with a view of the Dodder. Curses, foiled again!

If you have your grandmother's name, you might find her in the 1911 Census - look at Wharf Road, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 skin the goat

check out my user name and yours op, I am from that area and it was a name used all the time for all sorts of people in slang over the years. if you are in the east wall area call into curtis butchers(on church road) known locally as paddys the butchers, he has all sorts of photos from over the years and i mean years, he could fill you in on the history of the area there might be photos of that area because he has some really old stuff, he really is full of local information.

Advertisement