Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Shepherd

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Neither were the japanese as far as i could tell. They were in a whale sanctuary. The discussion seems to have started about bad seamanship. That seems as good an example as any.

Meaning that if the whalers where left do to do their jobs,none of this would have happens,you mean.
    And that it's a whale sanctuary have nothing to do with it.
    And you are saying bad seamanship,yes SS are a good example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So who's more dangerous,the whalers or the sea shepards:rolleyes:

Anyone who has watched previous episodes of Whale Wars will of seen the Japanese endangering life. For example aiming high pressure hoses in an effort to knock people into the sea.

Discodog wrote: »
    Anyone who has watched previous episodes of Whale Wars will of seen the Japanese endangering life. For example aiming high pressure hoses in an effort to knock people into the sea.

Probably called self defence when attacked by pirates

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i admire SSCS greatly. Fantastic to have people still in this world who are willing to get off their ar*es to fight for what is right. The oceans are in such serious trouble right now and nobody seems to care. The IPSO report claims that they are currently on the verge of a mass extinction, the likes of which mankind has not seen before. Large parts of the worlds oceans are predicted to be completely dead by the year 2050. And who will suffer most at the start? The poorer nations who rely on their struggling fish rations as it is. And then it will hit the rest of us. Japan are a complete disgrace of a maritime nation. All they do is destroy and steal from the oceans without contributing anything to its conservation. The whale poaching is just one example of this. Check out what they do to all migrating dolphins and whales in Taiji for 6 months of every year. Not only content to kill adults, they also slaughter mothers and nursing calves without any distinction. Now in a world of dying oceans, how can this be sustained? No wonder fishermen all over the world are only netting 6% of the catches they did just 30 years ago back in the 70s and 80s.

Sea Shepherd are the most vocal and active of the oceans conservation societies and I heartily applaud and support them 100%. Nowadays more than ever actions speak louder than words.

bb12 wrote: »
    i admire SSCS greatly. Fantastic to have people still in this world who are willing to get off their ar*es to fight for what is right. The oceans are in such serious trouble right now and nobody seems to care. The IPSO report claims that they are currently on the verge of a mass extinction, the likes of which mankind has not seen before. Large parts of the worlds oceans are predicted to be completely dead by the year 2050. And who will suffer most at the start? The poorer nations who rely on their struggling fish rations as it is. And then it will hit the rest of us. Japan are a complete disgrace of a maritime nation. All they do is destroy and steal from the oceans without contributing anything to its conservation. The whale poaching is just one example of this. Check out what they do to all migrating dolphins and whales in Taiji for 6 months of every year. Not only content to kill adults, they also slaughter mothers and nursing calves without any distinction. Now in a world of dying oceans, how can this be sustained? No wonder fishermen all over the world are only netting 6% of the catches they did just 30 years ago back in the 70s and 80s.

Sea Shepherd are the most vocal and active of the oceans conservation societies and I heartily applaud and support them 100%. Nowadays more than ever actions speak louder than words.

Why do you think the IWC was formed?to control the whaling and avoid extension of the whales,it's no problem a long as its sustainable,and it is with certain species.

• Advertisement

Why do you think the IWC was formed?to control the whaling and avoid extension of the whales,it's no problem a long as its sustainable,and it is with certain species.

The fact that the oceans are actively dying on our watch means that there is very little which is actually sustainable from them anymore, including whale hunting. Even mackeral has now been put on an endangered list due to overfishing by Iceland and the Faroes. Unbelievable!

Japan greatly exploits its position by bribing and paying off the small pacific islands for their votes in the IWC in Japans favour. This is an organisation which needs a serious revamp.

It would be great if we could all sit back and think that there are many laws and organisations out there fighting the good fight. Which is what I always believed until I saw some documentaries and start looking more closely into things a few years ago and what I learned really frightened me for the future.

Its like the oceans are the last great frontiers that are just being raped and pillaged by all and sundry right now. And now they are sending huge technologically advanced krill harvesting trawlers into the southern oceans to scoop up all the krill. Massive factory ships that harvest, dry it out and package it all onboard so it can be sold as "healthy supplements" for humans and food for fish farms...never mind the penguins and endangered whales that need to feed off it to survive.

The fact that the oceans are actively dying on our watch means that there is very little which is actually sustainable from them anymore, including whale hunting. Even mackeral has now been put on an endangered list due to overfishing by Iceland and the Faroes. Unbelievable!

Japan greatly exploits its position by bribing and paying off the small pacific islands for their votes in the IWC in Japans favour. This is an organisation which needs a serious revamp.

It would be great if we could all sit back and think that there are many laws and organisations out there fighting the good fight. Which is what I always believed until I saw some documentaries and start looking more closely into things a few years ago and what I learned really frightened me for the future.

Its like the oceans are the last great frontiers that are just being raped and pillaged by all and sundry right now. And now they are sending huge technologically advanced krill harvesting trawlers into the southern oceans to scoop up all the krill. Massive factory ships that harvest, dry it out and package it all onboard so it can be sold as "healthy supplements" for humans and food for fish farms...never mind the penguins and endangered whales that need to feed off it to survive.

When did minke whale end up on the endangered list?
    And mackerel is not on the endangered list quite yet,it's just not recommended to fish over the quota given by scientists.
    And I don't think Iceland and the Faroese islands are the only ones that are fishing mackerel.

When did minke whale end up on the endangered list?
    And mackerel is not on the endangered list quite yet,it's just not recommended to fish over the quota given by scientists.
    And I don't think Iceland and the Faroese islands are the only ones that are fishing mackerel.

in the next 30-40 years you're going to see a lot put on the endangered list. this is the time when actions need to be taken to stop this ever happening. if the current declining trend of mackerel numbers continues they'll be put on the endangered list as early as next year. do we wait until then to do something about this? iceland and faroes are adding greatly to this because the change in the mackerel migrations, possibly due to climate change, means they've ended up in their waters now where they never used to. and these 2 nations have set their own quotas in fishing them which are way over what is recommended for sustainability.

in the next 30-40 years you're going to see a lot put on the endangered list. this is the time when actions need to be taken to stop this ever happening. if the current declining trend of mackerel numbers continues they'll be put on the endangered list as early as next year. do we wait until then to do something about this? iceland and faroes are adding greatly to this because the change in the mackerel migrations, possibly due to climate change, means they've ended up in their waters now where they never used to. and these 2 nations have set their own quotas in fishing them which are way over what is recommended for sustainability.

The actions was started taken back in the 1946 when IWC was formed.
    And yes i do agree with the mackerel,it shouldn't be overfished..But EU have allerede put sanctions against Iceland and Faroe Islands,and thats the way it should be done.
    We don't need Sea Shepard for that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The actions was started taken back in the 1946 when IWC was formed.
    And yes i do agree with the mackerel,it shouldn't be overfished..But EU have allerede put sanctions against Iceland and Faroe Islands,and thats the way it should be done.
    We don't need Sea Shepard for that.;)

Eu sanctions mean nothing, the faroes were banned from landing at I believe Scottish and English to prevent offloading there fish ,possibly here too ,
    Now faroes reply was Huge factory ships that can off load and process mackerel and other fish, sanction's won't make a blind bit of difference unless you have a naval force able to forcibly stop this dangerous over fishing certain countries will carry on regardless

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Eu sanctions the faroes were banned from landing at I believe Scottish and English ports to off load fish ,possibly here too ,
    Now faroes reply was Huge factory ships that can off load and process mackerel sanction's won't make a blind bit of difference unless you have a naval force able to forcibly stop this dangerous over fishing certain countries will carry on regardless

In Norway as well,so we are talking small amounts to be delivered to their own ports,to distribute and sell.

In Norway as well,so we are talking small amounts to be delivered to their own ports,to distribute and sell.

Faroes islands have a population less than 50,000 so why do they feel they need larger fish Quotas than say here
    In this day and age there not exactly going to starve with out wiping out fish stocks or whales

Faroes islands have a population less than 50,000 so why do they feel they need larger fish Quotas than say here
    In this day and age there not exactly going to starve with out wiping out fish stocks or whales

They are not either,they can only fish as much as they use,and if they won't to Make money on it,it won't happen,cause no one wants their fish.

They are not either,they can only fish as much as they use,and if they won't to Make money on it,it won't happen,cause no one wants their fish.

People's don't buy burger's to eat horse but it happens
    If so many countries believe that certain countries are over fishing yet people still say ohh there not its all conspiracy theories ,
    Why the need for large factory ships to process large catches ,there has to be some truth to the over fishing of stocks

People's don't buy burger's to eat horse but it happens
    If so many countries believe that certain countries are over fishing yet people still say ohh there not its all conspiracy theories ,
    Why the need for large factory ships to process large catches ,there has to be some truth to the over fishing of stocks

Well I dont believe Faroe Island and Iceland is entirely alone when it comes o overfishing of Mackerel.i have seen other nations trawlers as well.
    And since dumping of fish is still allowed by EU I am not surprised.

Well I dont believe Faroe Island and Iceland is entirely alone when it comes o overfishing of Mackerel.i have seen other nations trawlers as well.
    And since dumping of fish is still allowed by EU I am not surprised.

I believe that ,I've seen a thread on here I think where somebody filmed a trawler for Spain I think in a cove taking fish which is illegal if I'm correct

I find it strange that when fishing boats are in Galway Bay & not fishing, they show up on AIS. But at night, when are fishing they never show on AIS.

There is reference in this thread to piracy & accusations that the Sea Shepherds are pirates. The Sea Shepherds have no intent to commit robbery, criminal violence or detention which which are the terms used to define piracy in maritime law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they certainly do set out to cause criminal violence, throwing objects at crew and vessels. if you did that on the street to someone it'd be assault.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I find it strange that when fishing boats are in Galway Bay & not fishing, they show up on AIS. But at night, when are fishing they never show on AIS.

There is reference in this thread to piracy & accusations that the Sea Shepherds are pirates. The Sea Shepherds have no intent to commit robbery, criminal violence or detention which which are the terms used to define piracy in maritime law.

The most outrageous and completely false statement in this entire thread. Are you seriously suggesting they are peaceful and non confrontational protesters?
    ha, fcuking ha

sea_shepherd_18112.jpg

seashepherd.jpg

487446-antarctica-whaling.jpg

Sea_Shepherd-300x2161.jpg

Yes I am. The Sea Shepherds aren't there to protest. Their purpose is to prevent the torture and killing of Whales. There is no intent of aggression. If the Japanese stop whaling then the Sea Shepherds wouldn't go near them.

• Advertisement

they certainly do set out to cause criminal violence, throwing objects at crew and vessels. if you did that on the street to someone it'd be assault.

If you chased a cow, horse or dog to the point of exhaustion & killed it, it would be a criminal offence. But the law & humanity disappears when the victim is a Whale.

Would you intervene if you saw a child or a dog being severely beaten in the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If you chased a cow, horse or dog to the point of exhaustion & killed it, it would be a criminal offence. But the law & humanity disappears when the victim is a Whale.

Would you intervene if you saw a child or a dog being severely beaten in the street?

I'm not excusing the Japs, just making the point that SS methods do fall under that particular category.
    You can't make a difference if you do stuff like that and then get locked up and your ships impounded, its a fine line.

I'm not excusing the Japs, just making the point that SS methods do fall under that particular category.
    You can't make a difference if you do stuff like that and then get locked up and your ships impounded, its a fine line.

Given the number of years that they have been doing this together with the huge level of support & donations suggests that they achieve the right balance.

The program Whale Wars never results in a decrease in donations. People expect the Sea Shepherds to do everything reasonably possible to stop Whales being killed. That's why they donate to them rather than other charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Did any Whales get killed?

Presumably you believe the whalers to be saints. I think that the Sea Shepherds are very brave people who pose no danger to anyone unless they indulge in animal cruelty.

I think you are presuming a lot there pal. When you do watch these first couple of episodes you will notice that these clowns are not even in contact with the whaling fleet yet, they are putting themselves in danger from the stupid way they conduct themselves at sea. We have not even started seeing them put other humans life's at risk yet, for now they are the only ones in danger. From themselves.

Given the number of years that they have been doing this together with the huge level of support & donations suggests that they achieve the right balance.

The program Whale Wars never results in a decrease in donations. People expect the Sea Shepherds to do everything reasonably possible to stop Whales being killed. That's why they donate to them rather than other charities.

Why Is the SS vessels classed as leisure vessels?
    The reason is that no classification or insurance companies would no near them.
    So would you call that a safe place to work for starters with no insurance:eek:
    No wonder they can smash in to whalers whenever they want,cause they don't have to pay the bill.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Why Is the SS vessels classed as leisure vessels?
    The reason is that no classification or insurance companies would no near them.
    So would you call that a safe place to work for starters with no insurance:eek:
    No wonder they can smash in to whalers whenever they want,cause they don't have to pay the bill.:rolleyes:

It seems that both sides are liable to smash into each other in a deliberate manner, or do you have a difficulty acknowledging that fact

It seems that both sides are liable to smash into each other in a deliberate manner, or do you have a difficulty acknowledging that fact

It wouldn't have happened in the first place if the SS hadn't been there,have you difficulty acknowledging that fact?:rolleyes:

It wouldn't have happened in the first place if the SS hadn't been there,have you difficulty acknowledging that fact?:rolleyes:

Do I have difficulty acknowledging the fact that a ship or ships should not be in the Southern ocean?

You could also make the case that the collisions would not happen if Japanese whaling vessels were not whaling in a whaling sanctuary

Do I have difficulty acknowledging the fact that a ship or ships should not be in the Southern ocean?

You could also make the case that the collisions would not happen if Japanese whaling vessels were not whaling in a whaling sanctuary

Ok why are ships not allowed in the southern ocean?:rolleyes:
    And whaling in the whaling sanctuary is legal,approved by IWC.
    Check further back in this thread and you will find the answer.

• Advertisement

Ok why are ships not allowed in the southern ocean?:rolleyes:
    And whaling in the whaling sanctuary is legal,approved by IWC.
    Check further back in this thread and you will find the answer.

Whaling for scientific purposes is, whaling for commercial purposes is not. Only an incredibly naive idiot would classify Japanese whaling as scientific

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement