Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on shipping container

• 06-03-2012 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of 'fair' insurance companies in Ireland who deal with insurance of shipping containers of personal belongings to Australia, I cant help but think the company w use to ship goods is also taking a bit extra on the insurance and we will save a few pound by organising our own. So expensive to move.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Your unlikely to be able to insure that without involving a broker. Which will mean a minimum fee on top of the premium. Your shipping company probably has rates they have already agreed with their own marine insurers if they do it all the time. So i think you are probably just sticking with their option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I cant help but think the company w use to ship goods is also taking a bit extra on the insurance

Of course they are, they're also taking a cut from the shipping fees and if there's customs fees they're taking a slice of that as well. That's where their profits come from and that's what pays the wages of the people who you've engaged to look after getting the container from Ireland to Australia.

Do it yourself or pay someone else to do it, you're trying to have it both ways. If you try to disassemble the package they will probably tell you to take your business elsewhere.

Advertisement