Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did I just hear right?

• 06-03-2012 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Irish Gov are going to paid 650million in foreign aid?
    Im sorry but you cant give what you don't bloody have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I agree, but didn't hear that, do you have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

International reputation and all that b0ll0cks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I agree, but didn't hear that, do you have a link?
    Trying to find one, heard it on radio.
    International reputation and all that b0ll0cks
    B0llocks is all it is, sadly we are just goin to sit here and take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Usual carry on so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

booboo88 wrote: »

No - you didn't hear right. The report said that the government are planning to give 650 million foreigners AIDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That would plug a few gaps in health and education.

No - you didn't hear right. The report said that the government are planning to give 650 million foreigners AIDS.
    It's certainly a bold strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Damn foreigners, tuk our jabs, wimmin and AIDS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's certainly a bold strategy.

It's just a drop in the ocean. Apparently there's loads of foreigners around the world.

It's just a drop in the ocean. Apparently there's loads of foreigners around the world.

So those foreigners give other foreigners aids. It's effects are spread throughout those societies in a similar manner to micro loans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So we need 650m to build a hospital for our sick and dying children and we.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sure why not...we can't afford to keep paying out public sector and social welfare but we're still paying them aren't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

Also, there's a 75% chance that if those foreigners have kids, that it will also be a foreigner!
    For this reason I oppose allowing foreigners the right to marry or adopt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Blazer wrote: »
    Sure why not...we can't afford to keep paying out public sector and social welfare but we're still paying them aren't we?

Not to mention the politicians and special advisers, and anyone else with their nose in the gravy.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Used to be, they're all around the back of the ILAC centre now.
    Dimithy wrote: »
    Also, there's a 75% chance that if those foreigners have kids, that it will also be a foreigner!
    For this reason I oppose allowing foreigners the right to marry or adopt.

Foreign marriage is a threat to humanity.
    And it makes the baby jesus cry:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I can't believe you all, heartless. €650 million is enough to buy plumpinut for every citizen of an African outpost so they won't starve....oh wait no it's just buying another Charles Taylor another limo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Utter madness. I read the childrens hospital is begging for 8m to carry out services and yet we can find 650m for other nations. What a country we live in.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So we need 650m to build a hospital for our sick and dying children and we.....

.... are still going to build it when we figure out where it's going to go? Or are you under the false impression that we're giving aid instead of building a hospital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Ah come on now , 650 million to us is smaller waiting times in hospitals or a new road that wont be built , to them its a matter of starving to death or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

we have been sending out over 6 million euro in aid for the last few years now. It's part of a contract we signed years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

cloptrop wrote: »
    Ah come on now , 650 million to us is smaller waiting times in hospitals or a new road that wont be built , to them its a matter of starving to death or not.

They're still dying. The money's not doing **** all for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Rather than borrowing 650m and giving it away while paying interest on it, would it not be better off for the EU/the IMF and whoever else to collectivly agree an aid budget and give it centrally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Funny we don't have enough money to fund our own childrens hospitals but we can put money into others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

€650million to help starving foreign children!!

There's children in Ireland right now whose parents have had to cut their Sky Disney subscription!

There's children in Ireland right now whose parents have had to cut their Sky Disney subscription!

Theres also homeless people. A chunk of that money could build and fund the running of a house big enough for them all to live in.

A question for you though. If you or a child of yours was suffering organ failure and you had a choice between sendign money out in foreign aid and having a private plane/helicopter on standby outsid eyour door waiting for the minute an organ was ready for you. Would you still be flippant say send the money abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I can't believe you begrudge a couple of % of GDP going to those who are trapped in such desperate poverty they would beg to eat your dog's food and live in his kennel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Nice stereotyping. Kids are dying in this country because of lack of funding for the hospitals. Call me greedy or racist or whatever but i say look after our own kids first and then see whats left over for other nations children.

.... are still going to build it when we figure out where it's going to go? Or are you under the false impression that we're giving aid instead of building a hospital?

I am under the impression we currently still owe billions for a bail out, but hey who cares. Austerity measures til we're blue in the face, cutting our own healthcare,education and thousands of people losing their homes.

So how can you give it out, if you don't have it?
    I understand Africa is in dire straits, but we simply dob't have it

Soemthing I've been thinking about for a while too. Are we trying too hard to try keep as money people alive as posisble? (maybe even to the detrement of other) Trying to artificially reverse the natural order of things? (in a general sense, not just this particulat 650m or foreign aid in general)

It's not somethign I ask too easily either. My own son was born over 10 weeks early last year and wouldnt have survived "in the wild" so to speak.

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote: »
    I can't believe you begrudge a couple of % of GDP going to those who are trapped in such desperate poverty they would beg to eat your dog's food and live in his kennel.

Im not, but how can we give it if we don't have it?
    Using simple logic here

Gurgle wrote: »

You have to agree that borrowing to give money away is stupid though?

If you have €5000 spare and I need it. You being a kind soul will give it to me. Would you go get a bank loan to get me that €5000 though, when you dotn have it to give and are already borrowing to pay your own bills?

Soemthing I've been thinking about for a while too. Are we trying too hard to try keep as money people alive as posisble? (maybe even to the detrement of other) Trying to artificially reverse the natural order of things? (in a general sense, not just this particulat 650m or foreign aid in general)

It's not somethign I ask too easily either. My own son was born over 10 weeks early last year and wouldnt have survived "in the wild" so to speak.

So just so we are on the same page are you agreeing that we should run hunting trips in Africa for humans?
    Cloptrop grabs his glock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's not giving them money...the Department of Finance are just forwarding 650 million into the foreigners accounts so they can claim the 100 billion the won on the foreigner lottery...it's all profit.

So just so we are on the same page are you agreeing that we should run hunting trips in Africa for humans?
    Cloptrop grabs his glock

Not spendign huge sums to keep people alive for an extra year or so is not the same as going over and shooting them. Or am I missing somethign in what you said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

token101 wrote: »
    They're still dying. The money's not doing **** all for them.
    What!!!
    You mean we've been giving €650m away every year and all the problems in the world haven't been solved?

It's just like the education system - we've been paying a fortune into it every year and some people are still daft.

• Advertisement

Not spendign huge sums to keep people alive for an extra year or so is not the same as going over and shooting them. Or am I missing somethign in what you said?

So you want them to die a slow painfull death? You sir are a monster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Im not, but how can we give it if we don't have it?
    Using simple logic here
    Well seeing as we're giving it, simple logic would dictate that we do have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

It's up there with the carbon credits we are going to have to buy because of the Kyoto agreement which we signed up to when we had loads of money, thank you Green Party there is no beginning to the wonders you did for our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Funny we don't have enough money to fund our own childrens hospitals but we can put money into others.
    Actually we do have the money, but not the planning permission.

Well seeing as we're giving it, simple logic would dictate that we do have it.

And you're going to stand by that, that we're fine as an economy. That we're on top of things.
    Sheesh i wish someone told me

• Advertisement

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Kids are dying in this country because of lack of funding for the hospitals.
    No, they're not.

Failure to provide proper care is due to incompetent management and self-serving union heads.

You have to agree that borrowing to give money away is stupid though?
    Borrowing to fulfill overseas aid commitments is fine with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

No kids are dieing from the lack of funding, the HSE is funded to the hilt and has been for the last 20 years. Problem is with gready unions and piss poor mgt.
    lay off the the miss lovejoy "some please think on the children"

I for one welcome ireland recognising that aid is needed in extetmely poor parts of the world and we are doing our bit to contribute. Ireland has always had a rich tradition of give to people less fortunate than themselves hope this isn't changing with the new "negative equity" brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Actually we do have the money, but not the planning permission.

Apologies If I was mistaken, My point still stands however, we're borrowing money and then investing it into foreign countires, when it could be spent here.

I know the propaganda of it all, donate it so we can borrow more.

I'm not a tyrant I'm not a monster I just don't see the LOGIC in BORROWING money only to donate it to foreign aid, If this was the celtic tiger I'd be all up for giving 650 million away, hell i'd be asking to give more, however it's not.

We're in a recession it's dog eat dog out there and here we are giving it away, makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Have we really become so bitter and selfish that we would begrudge and deny those genuinely in need of aid?

I know we are in tough times here but for god's sake lets get a little perspective here. We are nowhere as badly off as places like Syria, as much as we'd like to pretend we are, and to be honest it's the height of arrogance and selfishness to act as if we are.

We have no wars, no famine, no major disease epidemics. We do not have to worry that our homes could be blown away any minute. Money is tight yes but lets get a grip, we're about to fall to pieces anytime soon.

These people need help a lot more than we do.

Apologies If I was mistaken, My point still stands however, we're borrowing money and then investing it into foreign countires, when it could be spent here.

I know the propaganda of it all, donate it so we can borrow more.

I'm not a tyrant I'm not a monster I just don't see the LOGIC in BORROWING money only to donate it to foreign aid, If this was the celtic tiger I'd be all up for giving 650 million away, hell i'd be asking to give more, however it's not.

We're in a recession it's dog eat dog out there and here we are giving it away, makes no sense to me.

are you the type of person that would beat a granny for her food parcel if you thought you needed two during a food shortage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

are you the type of person that would beat a granny for her food parcel if you thought you needed two during a food shortage?

I doubt it...but maybe they are the type of person who would have issue with the government taking that grannies food parcel and giving it to another granny in a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Our aid commitment is set as a percentage of national income, so the budget goes up and down in line with the economy, even though Ireland has already actually cut its overall aid budget at a much greater percentage than this. Also the entire aid budget is such a small percentage of overall government expenditure that I’m not convinced that slashing it would have any real impact on our debt or our economic growth. Plus I’ve yet to come across anywhere near the same levels of poverty in Ireland that exist in countries where Ireland delivers aid. There is just no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

im foreign can i get a share of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

We can pump all the money we like in to Africa, but until their corrupt government is sorted out it won't make much difference. They have vast natural resources, which would provide more money and jobs than Ireland ever could give them. we have been pumping money in to Africa for decades and the only way they have benefited from is new AK47's.

In many towns in Africa, where aid has been given, the people are dying of thirst and there are dilapidated wells in the town. This situation arises when an charity/aid group provide the money to build a well and leave the young men in the town to look after it. Fetching water, however is womens work, so well is let go to rack and ruin. Enter next charity, build well..same result

We could send over any spare guns from our own struggle and save the money, now I'm off to rob any Trocaire boxes which I see lying around - You can't help people who won't help themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement