Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did I just hear right?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

darrcow wrote: »
    im foreign can i get a share of this

No, you can just have a communion dress:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A question for you though. If you or a child of yours was suffering organ failure and you had a choice between sendign money out in foreign aid and having a private plane/helicopter on standby outsid eyour door waiting for the minute an organ was ready for you. Would you still be flippant say send the money abroad?
    The cost of foreign aid is the same as one hospital. But it's tiny compared to the interest we're paying on Anglo & Co.

Also we have signed on the dotted line to pay that money. So we are legally obliged to pay it in a way we aren't obliged to pay the bondholders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gurgle wrote: »
    I can't believe you begrudge a couple of % of GDP going to those who are trapped in such desperate poverty they would beg to eat your dog's food and live in his kennel.
    It's not a few % , it's closer to 1/2 of a percent

https://www.facebook.com/actnow2015.ie
    Act Now on 2015 is an alliance of 70 anti-poverty organisations working to ensure that Ireland commits 0.7% of national income to overseas aid by 2015

The cost of foreign aid is the same as one hospital. But it's tiny compared to the interest we're paying on Anglo & Co.

Also we have signed on the dotted line to pay that money. So we are legally obliged to pay it in a way we aren't obliged to pay the bondholders.

I'd rather a new hospital though...:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

aren't we all foreigners ?

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    aren't we all foreigners ?

grrr....coming in here in your gangs of 1 and 2:mad:

micropig wrote: »
    I'd rather a new hospital though...:(
    Yes we'd all rather have a new hospital than bail out Anglo

so far €35 million has been spent on the hospital with nothing to show except drawings and models

how much did the glass bottle site cost ?
    or Battersea Power Station ?

be thankful we didn't build the Bertie Bowl

Yes we'd all rather have a new hospital than bail out Anglo

so far €35 million has been spent on the hospital with nothing to show except drawings and models

how much did the glass bottle site cost ?
    or Battersea Power Station ?

be thankful we didn't build the Bertie Bowl

Yes, Yes, but just because we p*ssed money away on other things doesn't mean we should keep doing it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Charity begins at home Enda

*bangs head repeatedly against brick wall

• Advertisement

Charity begins at home Enda

*bangs head repeatedly against brick wall

+1, We need to look after our own before we are in a position to help others, How much diamonds etc has Africa donated to us in the last couple of years?...I know he gave one to Naomi, anyone else here receive any?

I sure didn't:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

We need to help our own now.

If governments are serious about ending poverty in Africa they need to get rid of the dictators. Otherwise nothing will change. I remember being given Trocaire boxes at primary school in the 70/80's and they're still been given out. Same problem dictators.

Have we really become so bitter and selfish that we would begrudge and deny those genuinely in need of aid?

I know we are in tough times here but for god's sake lets get a little perspective here. We are nowhere as badly off as places like Syria, as much as we'd like to pretend we are, and to be honest it's the height of arrogance and selfishness to act as if we are.

We have no wars, no famine, no major disease epidemics. We do not have to worry that our homes could be blown away any minute. Money is tight yes but lets get a grip, we're about to fall to pieces anytime soon.

These people need help a lot more than we do.

So we send over more money to equip 12 year olds with AK47's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Still no sign of a link to the figure of "650" million.
    Will this be every week, every month, year or decade???:confused:

I don't think people should 'stir the pot ' without showing a link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

€650million to help starving foreign children!!

There's children in Ireland right now whose parents have had to cut their Sky Disney subscription!

Most households dont have such luxuries anymore

Take a look at the streets on a rainy day today and actually open your eyes to the homeless on it. To the parents with seriously ill children who need expensive surgeries or equipment, family members who cant afford treatments to give their loved ones a proper quality of life, the rate of suicide which has increased heavily and to elderly who are living alone and are terrified of being broken into and are really lonely.

I'm all for charity, and helping the less fortunate, but we have so many citizens who need it here right now. Its understandable giving money away that we barely have would anger people here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

cloptrop wrote: »
    are you the type of person that would beat a granny for her food parcel if you thought you needed two during a food shortage?

He'd sell his granny for a pack of denny's sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Still no sign of a link to the figure of "650" million.
    Will this be every week, every month, year or decade???:confused:

I don't think people should 'stir the pot ' without showing a link

This will be per year. Irish overseas aid amounts to 0.5% of GNP or GNI not sure which acronym is correct, so 650 million seems about right. And to be honest although 650 million might go along way here it goes a hell of a long way in sub saharan Africa where much of our aid goes. We should cut a lot of less important things before considering cutting the overseas aid budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Sorry, but isn't a bailout the same thing...

Chinasea wrote: »

Probably, but we didn't get an AK47 each:mad:

micropig wrote: »
    So we send over more money to equip 12 year olds with AK47's?
    yeah Africa is one country and they share everything. :rolleyes:

Actually the model to move is to trading and only use aid for immediate life threatening disasters. As a rule of thumb they are paying far more in interest payments than they receive in aid.

yeah Africa is one country and they share everything. :rolleyes:

Actually the model to move is to trading and only use aid for immediate life threatening disasters. As a rule of thumb they are paying far more in interest payments than they receive in aid.

:confused: Obviously is not one country

Where exactly are we sending it to, to the richest countries in Africa or to the war torn ones where corrupt governments rule the roost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

booboo88 wrote: »
    Irish Gov are going to paid 650million in foreign aid?
    Im sorry but you cant give what you don't bloody have

funniest thing about this is, yes you can

the irish central bank gave billions out over the last few years. called promissory notes I think

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Considering our GDP is roughly the same as Nigerias I don't see why we should send money to them.

How about the government stops sending foreign aid, but for all those people who want to send money abroad themselves, they can. If you feel like you want to donate, by all means do it, just don't force other people to donate money they don't have.

Btw, the 650m a year is actually down from the 950m we used to donate every year a few years back.

www.ria.ie/getmedia/21e4baee-bad7-4e86-a37a-e88f97bb26bb/13.ISIA_22_O-Neill_187.pdf.aspx
    http://www.aneki.com/most_generous_countries.html

No way you can justify Ireland giving far more than other, richer countries do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Chinasea wrote: »

no its not !!!

we have to pay the bailout money back !!!

I'm sorry I have had a cousin who died in his 60s recently waiting for a bypass operation. 650million would clear alot of the waiting lists.

we need that money here not massaging the ego of the politician or bureaucrat who made the the decision to give it away!!!

skregs wrote: »

Btw, the 650m a year is actually down from the 950m we used to donate every year a few years back.

And they were very productive with the €950 million, helping themselves become self sufficient...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

This may sound cheeky, but why not spend that 650million on getting rid of kony?
    http://vimeo.com/37119711

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How long would it take us to pay off our debts if we stopped giving foreign aid.

I don't not want to help the poverty stricken in other countries, I'm just not too keen on that being the reason we become poverty stricken ourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I say keep the 650 million and send people to college so when they graduate they can actually give first hand aid.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I say keep the 650 million and send people to college so when they graduate they can actually give first hand aid.

But what good is this aid if the same corrupt monsters are there?

But what good is this aid if the same corrupt monsters are there?

exactly my point,don't give money,train people to give actual aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭diamondp

are we not doing enough for the foreigners dat are already here, were doing our bit as it is, how many millions goes on foreigner who scam our social welfare, we dont need to send 650 million to third world countries when we are turning into one ourselves.

• Advertisement

diamondp wrote: »
    are we not doing enough for the foreigners dat are already here, were doing our bit as it is, how many millions goes on foreigner who scam our social welfare, we dont need to send 650 million to third world countries when we are turning into one ourselves.

Ever thought of a career in the daily mail?

pmcmahon wrote: »
    exactly my point,don't give money,train people to give actual aid.

But you're missing mine, spend the money getting rid of kony first.

But you're missing mine, spend the money getting rid of kony first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ireland, along with the other first-world countries, long ago undertook a commitment to give 0.7% of its GDP (that's the equivalent of someone earning €1,000 a week giving €70 to charity) to help the poorest countries of the world. Some countries, most notably the Scandinavian states, Finland and the Netherlands, have honoured their promise, but Ireland never came close even during the Celtic Tiger years when it was almost de rigeur to spend money like it was going out of fashion.:rolleyes:

What goes round comes round, and who knows what the situation will be in one, two, three centuries from now? Let's hope the countries that are wealthy then are more generous to poor Ireland than rich Ireland has been to the poor ones today.:D

As for those who say give more to our own poor here in Ireland, my experience is that many Irish people are generous and compassionate and give some of what little they have to the needy both in Ireland and abroad.

Many others, often those with more, wouldn't give anyone the skin off their shite. And they are well represented in this thread today.:cool:

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Ireland, along with the other first-world countries, long ago undertook a commitment to give 0.7% of its GDP (that's the equivalent of someone earning €1,000 a week giving €70 to charity) to help the poorest countries of the world. Some countries, most notably the Scandinavian states, Finland and the Netherlands, have honoured their promise, but Ireland never came close even during the Celtic Tiger years when it was almost de rigeur to spend money like it was going out of fashion.:rolleyes:

What goes round comes round, and who knows what the situation will be in one, two, three centuries from now? Let's hope the countries that are wealthy then are more generous to poor Ireland than rich Ireland has been to the poor ones today.:D

As for those who say give more to our own poor here in Ireland, my experience is that many Irish people are generous and compassionate and give some of what little they have to the needy both in Ireland and abroad.

Many others, often those with more, wouldn't give anyone the skin off their shite. And they are well represented in this thread today
    .:cool:
    I find that a bit insulting, how dare you insinuate tat we're just being mean, we simply as economy do not have the funds to give money. I suppose Greece are giving over 650million aswell:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

diamondp wrote: »
    we dont need to send 650 million to third world countries when we are turning into one ourselves.
    Go visit one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Didn't Uganda buy 10 SU-27 jet fighters recently? $50 odd million each iirc.

I'm all for helping out people but it grates a bit when those same peoples leaders are looking after themselves. Ok, you could argue that they have to get jet fighters or risk an invasion etc. from neighbouring countries. But rest assured they are doing quite well anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

shedweller wrote: »

I'm all for helping out people but it grates a bit when those same peoples leaders are looking after themselves. Ok, you could argue that they have to get jet fighters or risk an invasion etc. from neighbouring countries. But rest assured they are doing quite well anyway.

Yep at the time Micheal martin donated money to the state.;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66695063

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ireland.
    Fur coat, no knickers.

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »

Republic of Uganda

Economy
    GDP (nominal, 2010): $17.02 billion.

Natural resources: Copper, cobalt, hydropower, limestone, salt, phosphate, oil.

Agriculture: Cash crops--coffee, tea, cotton, tobacco, cassava (tapioca), potatoes, corn, millet, cut flowers. Food crops--bananas, corn, cassava, potatoes, millet, pulses. Livestock and fisheries--beef, goat meat, milk, poultry, Nile perch, tilapia.

Industry: Processing of agricultural products (cotton ginning, coffee curing), cement production, light consumer goods, textiles.

Trade: Exports (2010)--$2.9 billion: coffee, fish and fish products, tea, tobacco, textiles, cement, maize, electricity. Major markets--South Sudan, European Union, Kenya, Rwanda, Democratic Republic of the Congo. Imports (2010)--$4.5 billion: petroleum, road vehicles, cereals, industrial machinery, iron and steel, medical/pharmaceutical supplies. Major suppliers--Kenya, United Arab Emirates, China, India, South Africa, Japan, Germany.

Fiscal year: July 1-June 30.

kylith wrote: »
    How long would it take us to pay off our debts if we stopped giving foreign aid.
    we have to pay social welfare, Croke park, perhaps the worlds highest medical care costs, and the banks

Foreign aid represents about 57 days worth of payments for Anglo
    or 16 more miles of Luas track

Advertisement