Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to canada with child

Options
  • 06-03-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi lads
    looking for as much help as possilbe (not the best at these things)
    im 23 quailfied carpenter/joiner and farmer. the girlfriend is 20 and is nearly a qualied hairdresser. (6 months)
    weve a 18 month child
    is there work for hairdresser in canada
    wouldnt bother me what id work at wil do anything
    could the two of us work and pay a child minder or would it only pay for one of us to be working
    whats visas would be needed
    is it worth goin with a child
    thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

If you're coming out with a qualification as a carpenter then I don't think you'll have much trouble getting well paid work whatever province you settle in. Sure bring the wee baby, we brought three !!! Haven't looked back since we left, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

kiwijbob wrote: »
    If you're coming out with a qualification as a carpenter then I don't think you'll have much trouble getting well paid work whatever province you settle in. Sure bring the wee baby, we brought three !!! Haven't looked back since we left, good luck

Hey Kiwijbob do you mind if I ask how old your kids were when you moved and how they settled in with school and friends etc?
    Im asking because we are thinking of moving and the only thing really holding us back is the kids as we are worried they might not adjust to a new life,They are 10 and 3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cam1452

kiwijbob wrote: »

thanks for the reply
    are both you's working or just one of ye
    whats it like to get child minders
    do you hav any idea about hairdressing jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Regarding child minding, my wife and I send our 15 month old to day care in Vancouver at a cost of $800 a month, the day care is unlicensed so is cheaper than the average day care.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 annm2812

my friends aged 23 and 22 applied for their visas with goforless.ie. their child is 3 now and goforless.ie were very helpful filling out the paper work etc if you want to contact them. its a 70.00€ fee but when your bringing your child you would want some back up to make sure everything runs smoothly. this is for the year long working visa now not the skilled migration visas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shellebelly

My daughter, Boyfriend & granddaughter, went last sept on 1 year visa, is now applying for 2 year visa, my granddaughter goes to a lovely creche in vancouver, 5-600 dollars per month. She rented unfurnished basement apt 1300.00 per month includes all bills. Could not get a nice furnished apt, as most place's are unfurnished. Anyone Irish going over to canada looking for jobs, go to the Irish pubs, they will look after & advise Irish on jobs, and information. Good Luck.

paddymick wrote: »
    Hey Kiwijbob do you mind if I ask how old your kids were when you moved and how they settled in with school and friends etc?
    Im asking because we are thinking of moving and the only thing really holding us back is the kids as we are worried they might not adjust to a new life,They are 10 and 3 years old.

we came out with twin 4 1/2yr old boys and a 2yr old boy.... the twins will be starting BIG school in September so we didn't have to take them out of school at home. Kids are so adaptable, we've had no real issues and they do go to kindergarten... which by the way we're pulling them out of for a big move across canada !!! so fingers crossed :eek:

cam1452 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply
    are both you's working or just one of ye
    whats it like to get child minders
    do you hav any idea about hairdressing jobs

I'm only working at the moment (and 2,500miles away from the wife & kids) but when we're reunited we do hope to get the both of us working. Getting Child minding won't be an issue.... when you get work just ask the others employees who they use. No real info about hairdressing jobs, I'm in Alberta and there seems to be jobs going everywhere here so I'd guess that means hairdressing jobs too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sabmurphy

My daughter, Boyfriend & granddaughter, went last sept on 1 year visa, is now applying for 2 year visa, my granddaughter goes to a lovely creche in vancouver, 5-600 dollars per month. She rented unfurnished basement apt 1300.00 per month includes all bills. Could not get a nice furnished apt, as most place's are unfurnished. Anyone Irish going over to canada looking for jobs, go to the Irish pubs, they will look after & advise Irish on jobs, and information. Good Luck.

Hi, Its actually $1100 for the apartment and $650 for full time daycare!

Anyone applying for first year with the intent on applying for second year should get double copies of all the forms (garda cert, commisioner of oath letter if your bringing a dependant etc) as you have to resubmit all these for your second year. Me, my partner and 3 1/2 year old are living in canada and are in the process of appyling for our second year and was only told this now. Not so easy to repeat the whole process from Canada acting as if your doing it from Ireland.

Just a heads up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭edgy

Hi I know this is an old thread but someone who has been though it might know the answer. Myself and my husband are hoping to move to Canada and will applying for the IEC Visas when they come out. I have a 12 year old child and she will be coming with us. Does anyone know if I need to apply for a study visa for her or can she just come to Canada without one? I've checked the CIC website but I find their information regarding children and visas confusing! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Yes your 12 year old needs her own study visa.

All the checklist, details are here...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student.asp

In stage 2 of your Iec application there is a part for immediate family members. You list them all and it asks if each is traveling with you, just put your daughter down and say yes. This doesn't affect your application either way.

Advertisement