Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon / Duathlon / Messing

• 06-03-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Is it working as a forum? The front page has posts 4-5 days old, is there just too little content for it to be out on its own?

I know since the move I no longer read the main forum, maybe its no loss as I have no real interest in people looking for advice on couch to marathon or what the best shoe for an overweight, heel striking jogger.

But.. I think I was more inclined to pick out the few interesting topics and reply, now I check T/D/M.. see there have been no new posts since yesterday and move on.

What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I imagine activity will pick up a bit more as the tri season rolls into gear in April / May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

To be honest i never read the main forum anymore either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Season hasn't got going yet. It will get busier in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I think it'll get busier round here in the summer alright, but I fear its just going to become a Triathlon/Duathlon events forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Maybe have a link to the Fashion and Appearance forum for the triathletes, and mmm, I don't know, how to get bog our of your white socks forum for the messers, might generate a little more traffic ?

But it is a bit quiet isn't it, some of the threads have the forced feel about them in order to get a bit of activity going. But as been said, only coming to the start of the season for most of the messers anyway in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

In fairness there's a sense of the 'bigger kids, behind the sheds' feel about the T/D/A forum. Tucked away in our own little world with no-one bothering us. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In fairness there's a sense of the 'bigger kids, behind the sheds' feel about the T/D/A forum. Tucked away in our own little world with no-one bothering us. :)

I think it was more like a remedial class tbh, the 'runners' didn't want us distracting from there 12 week marathon plans and the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I only glance at the main forum now, mainly read Tri subforum and logs. Partly because its a novelty to me, partly because the main forum has got very watered down and fluffy. Maybe there's a correlation to the Tri posters not being on it, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Still early days. A lot of the action is over in the logs these days which answer questions before you even have to ask.

March is an odd time too. Everyone has their head down, new year enthusiasm has worn off. After the first few races (and first few race disasters) it'll probs get busier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I agree with all the above.

I do flick between each of the main forum, then into here, then logs.

I think it's quiet but there's no nonsense really, it's either relevant or it's not.
    Quite like not having to trawl through the other threads to find some useful triathlon thread etc.

It also helps TI to find triathlon tables and the like to save them doing it :pac: :D;)

I'm in favour of keeping it, and no doubt it will pick up.
    Also be handy for race reports and the likes depending if folks put them in their logs or out on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think it was more like a remedial class tbh, the 'runners' didn't want us distracting from there 12 week marathon plans and the like

And "How can I break 50 minutes for a 10km" thread. "Do I need to do intervals on a track?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

As a newbie Triathlete I like having everything in the one forum. I don't go near the main athletic forum these days.

What might be useful, for people like me anyway, would be a Sticky FAQ thread with basic info for beginners, to save on repeat threads on gear/joining a club/etc. Nothing too complex, or long winded. Even just a post with links to threads where questions have already been answered.

I have loads of questions, but I think it would only serve to piss people off if I were to start a new thread for all of them.
    Things like:
    Choosing first race
    What your aims should be in your first race - aim for time/just to finish etc.
    Transition set up
    Essential gear (tri is expensive, so what is most essential gear/equipment for a comfortable race, or racing on a budget)
    Nutrition
    Other types of training - gym/circuits etc. suitable for tri

These are just examples, I'm sure I could think of more. There are so many websites, or blogs out there, but there's something invaluable about getting opinions or advice on a forum like this, even if some people insist on posting picture of men in belly tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Amz wrote: »
    Sticky FAQ thread with basic info for beginners...

Even just a post with links to threads where questions have already been answered.

Great idea. Just need a friendly mod to agree to look after it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

As a newbie Triathlete I like having everything in the one forum. I don't go near the main athletic forum these days.

What might be useful, for people like me anyway, would be a Sticky FAQ thread with basic info for beginners, to save on repeat threads on gear/joining a club/etc. Nothing too complex, or long winded. Even just a post with links to threads where questions have already been answered.

I have loads of questions, but I think it would only serve to piss people off if I were to start a new thread for all of them.
    Things like:
    Choosing first race

Read the reviews of race in the ART events forum. Anything there is honest. If there are no reviews start one. If it gets deleted then you know that the organiser of that race, TI affliated club and/or private venture, are one of the very few orgnaisers that threaten legal action against people, and their employers, when the reviews are critical.

So if you can read about it and its vaguely positive on ART events then go for it.

For me the best races to start with are maybe Fingal Duathlons, then a pool based swim like North Tipp Sprint or the one in the NAC. Onto open water sprints - Camlough all the way and then DCT to close off the season.

Enjoyment, and to finish and the first thought should be "I could not have gone any harder"
    Transition set up

Bike racked, for me preferably by the saddle facing out.
    Helmet upside down on the tri bars with shades on the bars
    Shoes on the pedals with elastic bands one them holding them up
    Chain in a gear appropriate to the terrain straight out of transition
    Runners upside down on a towel beside the bike
    Running hat beside the runners
    Essential gear (tri is expensive, so what is most essential gear/equipment for a comfortable race, or racing on a budget)
    A wetsuit, good goggles (note the triathlon masks are a con and waste of money).
    A bike with no suspension and slick tyres.
    Helmet
    Trisuit
    Runners
    Number belt

Thats all you need. Anything else is a luxury.

Nutrition

You don't need to increase the quantities that you are eating by that much at all. Most newbies use the sport as a justification for overeating.

During a race - stay hydrated, sip some energy drink on the bike, maybe a gel in T2 when going out on the run. Possibily a gel or energy bar on the bike as well. However nutrition is a very personal thing. What will work for one person will make someone else sick.

A good core routine.
    Sleep

These are just examples, I'm sure I could think of more. There are so many websites, or blogs out there, but there's something invaluable about getting opinions or advice on a forum like this, even if some people insist on posting picture of men in belly tops.

My 2c while on a break and on my phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

As a newbie Triathlete I like having everything in the one forum. I don't go near the main athletic forum these days.What might be useful, for people like me anyway, would be a Sticky FAQ thread with basic info for beginners, to save on repeat threads on gear/joining a club/etc. Nothing too complex, or long winded. Even just a post with links to threads where questions have already been answered. I have loads of questions, but I think it would only serve to piss people off if I were to start a new thread for all of them.

As this is a new forum a lot of the questions will have been asked but are now buried deep in the main forum.
    Things like:
    Choosing first race

Tri Laois, Fingal Tri, Athy and Triathlone all seem to be very beginner friendly and not overly taxing courses compared to others. Mostly flat with pool/downstream swims for the weaker/unsure swimmers.

Enjoy it. Nothing more.
    Transition set up

Keep it simple and have your routine practiced. Ideally all you have to put on in T1 is bike shoes (later you'll attached these to your bike), helmet, race-belt. T2 all you need is runners. If you haven't practiced without socks then wear socks. Shouldn’t need much more than that.

For my first race all I had was wetsuit, cycle shorts, hat, goggles, t-shirt helmet, bike, socks, runners. Race belt and elastic laces are useful and cheap additions to make your day easier.
    Nutrition

For a sprint you won’t need anything. A bottle on your bike should be enough.

Yoga/Pilates/KettleBells/Circuits/Spinning, are all done by triathletes of varying levels, and all serve a purpose to an extent. Depending on what you want to achieve and how much you want to put into the sport, doing that second/third run/swim a week will likely be more beneficial to any of these. Bottom line is enjoying it though.

The belly top clad men was to make sure you knew what to expect on race day so you don't fall off the bike when you do see it. I'm always very sceptical when reading any of the websites and blogs on tri. Most have an agenda, or a product to push and are written accordingly. Read enough of them and they’ll all contradict one-another. And many take their pastime far too seriously (oh the hypocrisy!) to the point where you wonder if they really enjoy it anymore.

I, and I’m sure others, will be happy to elaborate on any of the above if you want any more info.

Edit: Damn you Tunney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Have not really been in the Athletics or running forum since. If i had my way ....this would just be a Triathlon forum.
    How did adventuare racing get the same air time!!!
    IMO people who focus on duathlons and more so adventure races are for people who can't swim. Canoe 1.5km..give me a break....
    No problem people doing them....whatever floats your boat ..
    :D
    If American football has its own forum why cant Triathlon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Have not really been in the Athletics or running forum since. If i had my way ....this would just be a Triathlon forum.
    How did adventuare racing get the same air time!!!
    IMO people who focus on duathlons and more so adventure races are for people who can't swim. Canoe 1.5km..give me a break....
    No problem people doing them....whatever floats your boat ..
    :D
    If American football has its own forum why cant Triathlon.

Are most 'adventure races' not simply off road duathlons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

griffin100 wrote: »

There could be trouble, you'd better get your hat & go!!

Pretty much, with a bit of kayaking (messing) thrown in. I'll preempt Enduro and say most AR races in Ireland aren't true ARs which are multi-day affairs and hardcore.

I doubt anyone is choosing off road races because they can't swim. You don't need to swim for triathlon these days. Racing in a wetsuit gives you more floatation than a kayak, not to mention additional swimming noodles.
    Float/Bike/Run ;)

• Advertisement

Oh Jesus that video is hilarious, LMAO. Reminds me of Ttiathy OD in 2010 when I swam into the back of someone who was walking down the middle of the river holding on to the centre rope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Pretty much, with a bit of kayaking (messing) thrown in. I'll preempt Enduro and say most AR races in Ireland aren't true ARs which are multi-day affairs and hardcore.

I doubt anyone is choosing off road races because they can't swim. You don't need to swim for triathlon these days. Racing in a wetsuit gives you more floatation than a kayak, not to mention additional swimming noodles.
    Float/Bike/Run ;)

Didn't 2 or 3 people die in the NYC tri last year? The noodles were for anyone struggling as the current/conditions were bad. Possibly as bad as Skerries last June.

Yeah two died of cardiac arrest. Wasn't meant in bad taste. A lot of people criticised the ability of a lot of the swimmers rather than the conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Enduro

I doubt anyone is choosing off road races because they can't swim.

Yup, I have to respond to this one alright! Well pre-empted!

I both strongly agree and disagree with the quotes above, depending on how they're interpreted.

As nerraw1111 says, a large majority of the races that are labeled as "adventure races" in Ireland are nothing of the kind. It's a more extreme mis-naming than calling a sprint triathlon an ironman, as they don't even have the right sports to be considered a true AR, even before distances etc are considered.

The races which are being referred to are I presume are the likes of Gael Force (the originator of the trend), the Roars, the races who's name cannot be mentioned, etc etc are just short runs up and down a hill or two, a road cycle or two, and a pathetically short or non-existant kayak, often on s(h)it-on-top kayaks (why not give everyone Dublin bikes for the cycle legs while you're at it :rolleyes:). They are most definitely much closer to being off road duathlons than to being adventure races. In reality they're a step or two below that, since the cycling is on-road. The only other country that has these mongrel races that I know of is New Zealand. Over there they are called multi-sports races, which distinguishes them from triathlons on one side, and adventure races on the other.

An adventure race is usually done in mixed teams of 4, will generally have a minimum of hill-running/trekking, mountain biking, and kayaking/canoeing (proper big stages), and most importantly a massive underlying emphasis on self navigation and self reliance. That's probably the biggest thing that the multi-sport races are missing. Adventure Race durations can range from short sprint events of half a day or so duration, to multi-day expedition races. I did 3 expeditions last year, and their maximum allowed durations were 4 days, 6 days, and 9 days. And believe me, no-one is doing these because they can't swim! (But having said that, I'll happily admit to being a crap swimmer!). The multi-sports races are much closer to being triathlons than to being true ARs. Perhaps they are just an opportunity for non-simmers (and non-team players and non-navigators) to do a triple sport event.

There are several adventure races in Ireland, such as the CCAR race, the Beast of Ballyhoura, the Raid etc. They tend to get less discussion in here though. Pity, as they are far far far better events, and much more enjoyable.

Soometimes we even get people coming over from triathalon to give AR a go... I had a good conversation on a beach on a small island in the arabian gulf with this lad (we were overnight camping between kayak stages, and we offered his team our surplus food). As it happens his team didn't make it to the finish of that particular race, between crashes on mountain bikes and finding the kayaking to be pretty hard going. It was good to race against them though.

Didn't 2 or 3 people die in the NYC tri last year? The noodles were for anyone struggling as the current/conditions were bad. Possibly as bad as Skerries last June.

Careful now!!!

Didn't realise that footage was from the NYC Tri. I thought it was an Irish event. There were quite a few fatalities in N. American swims last year IIRC.

Careful now!!!

Didn't realise that footage was from the NYC Tri. I thought it was an Irish event. There were quite a few fatalities in N. American swims last year IIRC.

There's a good thread on slow twitch discussing swim safety at the moment. also a mammoth thread discussing the swim at NYC. The consensus re NYC was that people were way out of their depth rather than the conditions. Sorry for taking thread way off topic. Again, wasn't meant in bad taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

There's a good thread on slow twitch discussing swim safety at the moment. also a mammoth thread discussing the swim at NYC. The consensus re NYC was that people were way out of their depth rather than the conditions. Sorry for taking thread way off topic. Again, wasn't meant in bad taste.

I found that video very informative. Whatever about the conditions, there were plenty coping with them well enough. Huge gap in ability between those swimming, and the ones doing doggy paddle with noodles:eek: Are these entrants the Tri equivalent of fun runners? (I somehow thought Tri would be less accommodating to these sort, by its nature).

I found that video very informative. Whatever about the conditions, there were plenty coping with them well enough. Huge gap in ability between those swimming, and the ones doing doggy paddle with noodles:eek: Are these entrants the Tri equivalent of fun runners? (I somehow thought Tri would be less accommodating to these sort, by its nature).

The problem with the swim can be that people seriously overestimate their swim abilities or more common perhaps think that OW swimming is like pool swimming. I remember complaints about the Howth Tri last year when the swim was rough but that's the nature of OW swimming, it's not always going to be flat calm.

Enduro wrote: »
    Yup, I have to respond to this one alright! Well pre-empted!

I both strongly agree and disagree with the quotes above, depending on how they're interpreted.

As nerraw1111 says, a large majority of the races that are labeled as "adventure races" in Ireland are nothing of the kind. It's a more extreme mis-naming than calling a sprint triathlon an ironman, as they don't even have the right sports to be considered a true AR, even before distances etc are considered.

The races which are being referred to are I presume are the likes of Gael Force (the originator of the trend), the Roars, the races who's name cannot be mentioned, etc etc are just short runs up and down a hill or two, a road cycle or two, and a pathetically short or non-existant kayak, often on s(h)it-on-top kayaks (why not give everyone Dublin bikes for the cycle legs while you're at it :rolleyes:). They are most definitely much closer to being off road duathlons than to being adventure races. In reality they're a step or two below that, since the cycling is on-road. The only other country that has these mongrel races that I know of is New Zealand. Over there they are called multi-sports races, which distinguishes them from triathlons on one side, and adventure races on the other.

An adventure race is usually done in mixed teams of 4, will generally have a minimum of hill-running/trekking, mountain biking, and kayaking/canoeing (proper big stages), and most importantly a massive underlying emphasis on self navigation and self reliance. That's probably the biggest thing that the multi-sport races are missing. Adventure Race durations can range from short sprint events of half a day or so duration, to multi-day expedition races. I did 3 expeditions last year, and their maximum allowed durations were 4 days, 6 days, and 9 days. And believe me, no-one is doing these because they can't swim! (But having said that, I'll happily admit to being a crap swimmer!). The multi-sports races are much closer to being triathlons than to being true ARs. Perhaps they are just an opportunity for non-simmers (and non-team players and non-navigators) to do a triple sport event.

There are several adventure races in Ireland, such as the CCAR race, the Beast of Ballyhoura, the Raid etc. They tend to get less discussion in here though. Pity, as they are far far far better events, and much more enjoyable.

Soometimes we even get people coming over from triathalon to give AR a go... I had a good conversation on a beach on a small island in the arabian gulf with this lad (we were overnight camping between kayak stages, and we offered his team our surplus food). As it happens his team didn't make it to the finish of that particular race, between crashes on mountain bikes and finding the kayaking to be pretty hard going. It was good to race against them though.

I thought you'd make an appearance alright :) I always considered AR's to be multi day events where navigation and similar skills were required, not the watered down version we see advertised as AR's in Ireland. That said I'm not saying Roar, Gaelfoece, etc are easy, whatever name you put on a race if you go hard they all hurt. In my case I spent so long getting to a mediorcre level at swimming that multi sport events with no swimming don't appeal to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Dpop stay away from tri athlone if u want to avoid fun runners. god help if your over 30 in one of the later waves...6 abreast along the road they jog. one of my clubmates summed it up perfectly one year. he said it was like the womens mini marathon of triathlon. :)

Advertisement