Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best DLC This Gen

Options
  • 06-03-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what people have found to be the best (or just best value for money) DLC wince they got their PS3s, 360s etc.

I'll keep mine brief and in no particular order:

1) Valkyria Chronciles: The Selvaria missions.

Utter class, amazing playing with someone of her power and also amazing to be on the otherside of the Gallian war with crap Empire soldiers.

2) Bioshock 2: Mienrva's Den

No real explanation needed here for those who have played it. Excellent piece of DLC which adds a new campaign with a new story, new main character and new twist.

3) Mass Effect 2: The Arrival

I though it pricey at 7.99 but overall I enjoyed it. People loved the "Lair of the ShadowBroker" but I was played the PS3GOTY version and was a little unsure where that DLC began and ended (well thats a lie - I know where it ended)

4) Fallout 3: The Pitt

Again I played the GOTY version and Broken Steel was such a bloody mess regarding framerates. The Pitt ran better for me and I enjoyed the choice at the end rather even if this DLC on its own didn't include the new Level Cap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

1) The Secret Armory of General Knoxx (Borderlands)
    A great bit chunk of new gameplay. More weapons. More enemies. More challenging. Great new antagonist. This is very much an old style expansion type DLC and as such is most definitely my favourite.

2) Lair of the Shadow Broker (Mass Effect 2)
    Great addition to the single player campaign. Some great set pieces and a fantastically designed level at the end while outside of the Shadow Brokers ship.

3) The Signal & The Writer (Alan Wake)
    Really enjoyed these additional episodes to one of my favourite games of 2010. They weren't outstanding in themselves but they offered more of what I loved in the main mixed up with some new bits here and there.

4) The Lost and Damned & The Ballad Of Gay Tony (GTA IV)
    Like Knoxx, these two DLC packs are big and meaty and add significantly to the original game in the form of two new stories.

As you can see, I don't really go for fluffy DLC. If I'm going to pay for something it's going to be worthwhile. In fact, the only additional level packs I've ever downloaded were the ones for The Maw and Costume Quest because I had such great fun with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Oblivion: Shivering Isles
    was fantastic. no other words new continent, new armor, all new missions and creatures and a fun little story too. multipile choice for endings meant having to go through again didnt hurt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think any DLC has ever topped GTA IV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Don't think any DLC has ever topped GTA IV's.

DLC is pretty unique to this generation i guess, expansion packs of old certainly have tho.

I typically don't do DLC... only exception was a few of the map packs for CoD.....

Tho... is veitnam for BC2 considered DLC ?

Magill wrote: »
    DLC is pretty unique to this generation i guess, expansion packs of old certainly have tho.

True, Morrowind's Bloodmoon was the best of that lot for me.

• Advertisement

True, Morrowind's Bloodmoon was the best of that lot for me.

Yeah, was tons of great expansion packs.

Actually.... would HL2 Episode One + Two be considered DLC ? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For me, one series has truly understood how regular, bite-sized DLC has worked and that's Rock Band. It allows you to personalise your game without compromising the rock solid core product. Cheap, substantial and fun: the way it should be.

While there have been some fine expansion packs with a new name - GTAIV ones definitely fit into that category of old - RB for me was the one whose optional DLC really built upon the game it was supplementing, and thus is one of the very few series I have ever bought DLC for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me it was the Pitt for Fallout 3, nice chunk of gameplay and a cracking storyline. It's the only piece of DLC I've really enjoyed although I've not played selvarias missions or Minervas Den.

Also liked the GTA DLC. Big improvements on the main game even if the writing was still awful but there was a hell of a lot of content in them.

I don't get the big deal about Lair of the Shadow Broker, thought it was really poor. It was just a load of combat, which is terrible in Mass Effect 2 and a dreadful car chase and the reward was a load of text files. Naff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Horse armour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lost in Nightmares for Resident Evil 5.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't get the big deal about Lair of the Shadow Broker, thought it was really poor. It was just a load of combat, which is terrible in Mass Effect 2 and a dreadful car chase and the reward was a load of text files. Naff.

Was left scratching my head at that too. Only thing I can think off is that the rest of ME2's DLC was so poor that anything remotely average was welcome.

That and you could go all Captain Kirk and sleep with a blue space lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I rarely buy DLC so my list will be quite short.

1)Mass Effect 2 - Lair of the Shadow Broker

I played this on the PS3 so I didn't pay extra for this DLC but no matter. It was one of the best parts of the game. I thought the story was excellent as it brought put one of my favourite characters centre stage. Plus it could have big repercussions in ME3.

2) Wipeout HD - Fury

I'm not too sure if this is DLC or an expansion. Either way it is great and anyone who is a fan of Wipeout HD should buy it. It adds a lot of content to already great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lost in Nightmares for Resident Evil 5.

Haven't had a chance to try that yet. Looking forward to it if my family member ever gives mr RE5 back.

Also:

Mass Effect 2: Overloard

Is that that the right name?

And was ir even DLC?

The missions where you went around tracking down that AI?

Loved that string of missions.

noodler wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2: Firestorm

Is that that the right name?

And was ir even DLC?

The missions where you went around tracking down that AI?

Loved that string of missions.
    That was Overlord. Quite liked that myself actually, even if it was a little Shodan-esque on a few occasions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Wipeout HD Fury

valkyria chronicles selvaria mission

Unreal tournament 3 titan pack which was free and 1GB big

Fallout broken steel

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

gizmo wrote: »
    That was Overlord. Quite liked that myself actually, even if it was a little Shodan-esque on a few occasions. :)

Was it DLC though? I really thought it was scary/starling/offputting.

Trying to tell you something but never able to..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

1) Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker - Completed one of the most intriguing storylines from the first game and added to Liara's role in the second. Cool new environments and a great ending; probably better than any of the main game's missions.

2) Oblivion: Shivering Isles - A huge expansion that came out a suitably long time after the game. It was just so surprising and imaginative; Bethesda put plenty of work into it and it showed.

3) Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares - Brought memories of the original RE and filled in gaps in the storyline. Oozed atmosphere in a way the main game never did and had some nice Easter Eggs.

4) Resident Evil 5: Desperate Escape - The polar opposite of LiN, but still excellent. It focused on the action aspect of RE5 and proved to be a serious challenge on Professional difficulty. I know lots of people disliked the action of RE5, but the intensity of this section highlighted its strengths.

noodler wrote: »
    Was it DLC though? I really thought it was scary/starling/offputting.

Trying to tell you something but never able to..
    It was indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Overlord was crying out for better writing. It was like a really poor mans mix of system shock 2 and the ending to Fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vadakin

Spunge wrote: »
    Horse armour

Greatest. DLC. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

GTA 4 or Boderlands for me.

Both more like more game than DLC.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Overlord was crying out for better writing. It was like a really poor mans mix of system shock 2 and the ending to Fallout.

You love your good writing man. :P

I really do. I just think that the quality of writing is so bad in games that a lot of really bad writing gets praised despite being god awful compared to other mediums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Borderlands .....all of it except the Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot that was poo.

Advertisement