Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25 years ago

• 06-03-2012 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

Hard to think that 25 years ago today The Herald Of Free Enterprise capsized outside Zeebrugge

I remember sitting on the sitting room floor in my parents house beside a roaring fire, nice and cozy and warm, and being struck raw by the fact that hundreds of people were at that moment fighting for their lives in a freezing cold sea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Gosh, 25 years, it was a friday night if I remember correctly. The BBC news was saying that it had hit the mole when it was leaving harbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I worked with a lad who was a catering rating onboard the Herald the night she went down. What he told me was horrific and it was catastrophic the way one mistake/neglect, led to another resulting in an awful loss of life. Another incident which took all our interest and was pursued almost on a daily basis was the mystery that surrounded the loss of the 'Derbyshire'.

On reading this thread earlier this month,it reminded me of both of these tragedies. I downloaded the MAIB report and it makes for riveting reading for anyone interested in the sea.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/HofFEfinal.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Another great read and factual is Until the sea shall set them free by Robert Frump. About the Marine Electric in 1983.
    Alos In the heart of the Sea about the Whale ship Essex would fairly put you thinking about ever leaving dry land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Another great read and factual is Until the sea shall set them free by Robert Frump. About the Marine Electric in 1983.
    Alos In the heart of the Sea about the Whale ship Essex would fairly put you thinking about ever leaving dry land.

Essex? Wasn't she the inspiration for Mobu Dick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Yeah thats the one seemingly when Melville was on a whaler he met one of the survivors from the Nantucket boat or at least got the story firsthand from someone. The captain and first mate both survived after a horrendous ordeal. The first mate went to be a successful whaler but lost the plot towards the end of his life if I recall right. The captain was given a new boat which also sank and was then seen as a jonah and never sailed again so he ended up being a watchman in Nantucket. Its a fantastic read.

• Advertisement
Advertisement