Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 months out of school, can I catch up?

• 06-03-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Due to my country's active practice of conscription, I was pulled out of school in November to serve the military.
    Recently though, a deferment has been granted, and I would be able to return to Ireland to sit for my Orals then my written.

Though... 5 months outta school, 3 months by myself (since I'm not allowed to go back to a state funded school) to catch up. Would I be able to?

I'm doing
    -Geography
    -Biology
    -History
    -Maths
    -English
    -French

I was doing all honors, but now dropping down to ordinary for maths and french might be a wise choice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

none of that happened

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

dovahkiin wrote: »
    none of that happened

If you have nothing helpful to contribute to a thread, then don't post at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Though you're story is pretty crazy, I'm going to say that dropping to ordinary in a few isn't a bad idea, but doing about 8 hours a day (ie full school day at home) you might be able to manage a pretty good leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Dannysaurus

dovahkiin wrote: »
    none of that happened
    Le sigh, gtfo :<
    143jbcx.png

Kthxbai. Wannabe dovahkin :3
    Chuchoter wrote: »
    Though you're story is pretty crazy, I'm going to say that dropping to ordinary in a few isn't a bad idea, but doing about 8 hours a day (ie full school day at home) you might be able to manage a pretty good leaving.

Sounds doable enough. Though I only do 6 subjects, and I'd like to get decent points :< Dropping down in two already reduces maximum potential. 8 hours a day self study? Totes sounds fun :L What about case studies and shtuff for Geography and experiments in Biology? Do I just learn 'em off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The world and their experience of it is a very small place for some sheltered souls.

Do you have your History essay done? Is the Geography project started?

The other subjects are do-able, though it will take a lot of self-discipline.

It's a difficult situation to be in, for sure. Have you investigated throroughly the possibility of returning following the service? The DES can and does make exceptions for particular cases. You deserve an unhindered run at the exam.

• Advertisement

The essay is almost done, and my Geography thingy, not entirely. It's halfway there though... I don't have the sheet with me.

Do elaborate on "returning following service"? From what I can understand, yeah, I can. Though I'll still be liable for reservist training, so... Chances of me getting some peace for a full year stands rather slim.
    What could the DES do?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You might as well go for it and then if you're not happy repeat next year.

I'd say you'd have to do pass maths but the rest is doable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The essay is almost done, and my Geography thingy, not entirely. It's halfway there though... I don't have the sheet with me.

Do elaborate on "returning following service"? From what I can understand, yeah, I can. Though I'll still be liable for reservist training, so... Chances of me getting some peace for a full year stands rather slim.
    What could the DES do?

You didn't get a chance to complete your LC, through no fault of your own.
    Who told you you were not allowed go back to a state funded school?

spurious wrote: »

What could the DES do?

You didn't get a chance to complete your LC, through no fault of your own.
    Who told you you were not allowed go back to a state funded school?

Well, I suppose if it's not satisfactory (chances stand pretty high) I'd repeat. I would've loved to do the TSM in Trinity but oh well :L Having a wide range of subjects I'm interested in does make the opportunity loss sting less.

According to an immigrations officer. Two actually. On coinciding grounds of 1.) Me being a non-eea national and 2.) My parents are no longer contributing to the state (taxes) therefore my right to government funds in that manner, le gone.

God knows there are plenty people whose parents do not pay tax. I would say it is at least worth an appeal directly to the minister as your case would be unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Of course you do, do you know how many points you need?
    The probability is that you might not get a very high LC but it is so possible, you just need to figure out what will be on the exams and be selected in the information you learn, don't go through chapter to chapter instead take info from the chapter and practice practice practice making them into interchangable exam answers.

I didn't start studying (and not so well) until after the mocks about this time and got 280 points and got into the course I wanted straight away, I think anywhere from 280-350+ would be great but doesn't cut it for most courses so you will have the option of repeating if you need it (AND you have these months under your belt and you know what to expect) or investigate plc courses for direct entry into second year of other BA courses.

However, if you are in need of high points you may want to consider deferring. but for a average to lower lc depending on your abilities I think it can be easily done if you're organised!

spurious wrote: »
    God knows there are plenty people whose parents do not pay tax. I would say it is at least worth an appeal directly to the minister as your case would be unusual.

Well those laws coincide with each other, AFAIK.
    It would've been fine if I'd have been an EU national but I'm not, therefor to be eligible, the person I was dependent on would have to be contributing to the state.

With regards to an appeal, I sent one in more than two months ago. Had le girlfriend print it out then send it including both addresses( mine and hers) as a correspondence address. Figured it would be quicker than cross continental mail, and also that perhaps if they sent it to her, id get it quicker, but also in the same breath, if they wanted to communicate privately, they had the option of sending it to my Singaporean address. We Then sent a follow up letter a month later.

After it being this long, I'm just gonna assume either that they've been really really swamped, or couldn't be bothered since I'm already out of the state and also the Irish education system, therefore not much of their responsibility anymore :L

saa wrote: »
    Of course you do, do you know how many points you need?
    The probability is that you might not get a very high LC but it is so possible, you just need to figure out what will be on the exams and be selected in the information you learn, don't go through chapter to chapter instead take info from the chapter and practice practice practice making them into interchangable exam answers.

I didn't start studying (and not so well) until after the mocks about this time and got 280 points and got into the course I wanted straight away, I think anywhere from 280-350+ would be great but doesn't cut it for most courses so you will have the option of repeating if you need it (AND you have these months under your belt and you know what to expect) or investigate plc courses for direct entry into second year of other BA courses.

However, if you are in need of high points you may want to consider deferring. but for a average to lower lc depending on your abilities I think it can be easily done if you're organised!

Well, it was around 530-570 depending on the combinations I was gunning for. But it's kinda gone now :/

My only concern now anyways is to get some qualification for 3rd level instead of finishing my service at 21 with a Junior Cert tops and most likely having to do the whole LC year all over again.
    I just wanna get on with my studies in somewhere I call home instead of waste more time in the country I currently am in.

Advertisement