Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Irish arrested among leaders of Lulzsec

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

That's a paddlin' (You posting without text nor opinion, not the two lads that were arrested)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Who cares...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

'Lulzsec hackers' arrested in international swoop

The suspected leader of the hacking group Lulzsec has pleaded guilty to carrying out high profile attacks on several companies.

Hector Xavier Monsegur had been charged with conspiracy to engage in computer hacking according to unsealed court papers filed in Manhattan.

"The hackers are certainly acting as if they feel they have been betrayed by one of their own."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17270822

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

All I can think of are those "I'm from the internet" memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Sherlock condemns the hackers for setting foxes on fire. He also heard rumours that a jaguar will undermine him in the next general election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

It was

Darren Martyn, aka “pwnsauce” and
    Donncha O’Cearrbhail, aka “palladium”.

I'm ambivalent. Have they boards accounts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

OHH $hit,

puts on tinfoil hat

ahhh - that's better

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Donncha O’Cearrbhail

That name sounds familiar, not sure if it's from Boards or not.

Edit - Won bronze in Programming Olympiad last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Has anyone heard from DeVore recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

They were sold out by that Sabu dude.

Pfft! The only way they could be caught... amateurs!

Looks like they gave him free Donuts for his help. Mmmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I guess he wasn't O'Cearbhaill enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Do you have proof they were sold out by "Sabu" { who is just a puppet account for many people}.

*/ Edit: Look like I should of fully read all the sources - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/mar/06/lulzsec-sabu-working-for-us-fbi?newsfeed=true */

Also are you call the 2 Irish guys, Lulzsec in general or the police/interpole/fbi/etc "amateurs" ?
    Fart wrote: »
    They were sold out by that Sabu dude.

Pfft! The only way they could be caught... amateurs!

Looks like they gave him free Donuts for his help. Mmmmmmm.

Do you have proof they were sold out by "Sabu" { who is just a puppet account for many people}.

Also are you call the 2 Irish guys, Lulzsec in general or the police/interpole/fbi/etc "amateurs" ?

Yeah it says Sabu helped the FBI etc. Plenty of sources but if they actually tracked them down through scientific means, wouldn't they just say so, so we would know how good they are at tracking down cyber criminals?

If the case is where Sabu sold them out, then I'm saying the FBI/Police/Etc are Cyber amateurs.

Stupid kid. He's flushed his whole life away for "the lulz".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

He may get a career out of it, the FBI will want him extradited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

If the case is where Sabu sold them out, then I'm saying the FBI/Police/Etc are Cyber amateurs.

That's a dangerous assumption. After all, they caught at least one of them and got him to turn in the others, more than likely as part of a plea bargain.

That's a dangerous assumption. After all, they caught at least one of them and got him to turn in the others, more than likely as part of a plea bargain.

Eugh, wasn't it easy for the FBI to find Sabu? Not really "caught". He wasn't really well off and had kids so he opted to give help and earn rewards from it. So I'm sure none of the members would have been found for a while yet.

It took a snitch.

Damn kids. They're all alike.

:pac:

Eugh, wasn't it easy for the FBI to find Sabu? Not really "caught". He wasn't really well off and had kids so he opted to give help and earn rewards from it. So I'm sure none of the members would have been found for a while yet.

It took a snitch.
    RTE wrote:
    28-year-old Monsegur was arrested in June, pleaded guilty in August to 12 hacking-related charges and began cooperating with the FBI, Fox said.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0306/anonymous.html

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    He's a second year medical chemistry student with a "keen interest" in computers. It just depresses me to see a bright young man like this with his whole future ahead of him completely destroy his life. They tapped FBI phone calls, I have the feeling that several books will be hurled at the lot of them to make an example. When he gets out of prison he can resume his college education I suppose, although its unlikely he'll ever be hired for anything computer related.

In fact finding a job at all will be quite difficult unless prospective employers don't know how to use Google.

• Advertisement

It took a snitch.

Presumably they've never met in real life and avoid discussing details about their real life under their pseudonyms.

Therefore it's possible Sabu simply identified those who were involved in various attacks but had no information as to who they actually were. If that's the case then the FBI would have had to connect the dots independently of Sabu's testimony in order to collect evidence (testimony is useless without hard-proof to back it up).

If that's the case then the FBI would have been able to track them down (as they technically did) but it would have taken longer to filter suspects.

There's too many variables to say what happened but I wouldn't call the FBI amateurs because they used the resources they had available to them.
    Doc Ruby wrote:
    although its unlikely he'll ever be hired for anything computer related.
    Plenty of convicted computer criminals have turned legit and work for legitimate companies (Mitnick, Abene, Lamo, etc.).

Hell, even Governments hire them all the time (US and UK have an "unofficial" 5 year clean record rule [depending on the crime of course]).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

It appears "palladium" claimed credit for the Fine Gael script kiddy hack.

People have to remember that the FBI is also the counter-intelligence agency of the US. They've been doing this sort of stuff against hostile countries for decades.

People have to remember that the FBI is also the counter-intelligence agency of the US. They've been doing this sort of stuff against hostile countries for decades.

FBI deals with domestic/federal offenses.

The Army, Air Force, NSA, etc. deal with counter-intelligence.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Plenty of convicted computer criminals have turned legit and work for legitimate companies (Mitnick, Abene, Lamo, etc.).

Hell, even Governments hire them all the time (US and UK have an "unofficial" 5 year clean record rule [depending on the crime of course]).
    So what you're trying to tell us is that getting arrested, extradited, and imprisoned for several years was a good career move?

He's ruined what could have otherwise been a good life, and its a pity.

So what you're trying to tell us is that getting arrested, extradited, and imprisoned for several years was a good career move?

No, but it's not necessarily a career killer.

FBI deals with domestic/federal offenses.

The Army, Air Force, NSA, etc. deal with counter-intelligence.

Nope. FBI deals with domestic counter-intelligence as well as more mundane crimes. Something to do with laws against the military/CIA spying on their own citizens.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/counterintelligence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The FBI don't want to extradite him to give him a job. They want to extradite him to put him in a cell next to a 300 pound serial man rapist.

I'm no expert, but this isnt the face of a person who would flourish in a prison environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The Gary McKinnon case extradition is still ongoing, say Enda will have these two guys on a plane before the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I wish we would tell America to fúcking shove it with this whole extradition crap. Makes me sick when they play world police.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

It'll make no difference to anything.

Edit: Wait, is there actually a case in Ireland where they're considering extraditing someone from here to America?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was

Darren Martyn, aka “pwnsauce” and
    Donncha O’Cearrbhail, aka “palladium”.

I'm ambivalent. Have they boards accounts?
    Source?

I found a palladium, reg'd in 2009, only one post though
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=269466

No sign of any pwnsauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I found a palladium, reg'd in 2009, only one post though
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=269466

No sign of any pwnsauce

Try the security forum. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Looking at Donnachas twitter, he follows Boards.ie, I'd say he is on here :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

http://www.facebook.com/Hexamine.Dinitrate?sk=wall

One of the photo albums and his info tells me this is the guy. Another candidate to have his ass handed to him in the clink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Stupid f***ers. Why? What exactly did they prove by any of it? That they can take down websites and act the maggot online?

I don't see why they should be extradited either though. This crime occured on Irish soil. Let's see Del Boy Shatter show some backbone.

http://www.facebook.com/Hexamine.Dinitrate?sk=wall

One of the photo albums and his info tells me this is the guy. Another candidate to have his ass handed to him in the clink

friend of a couple of my friends according to fb...

edit: girlfriend is acquainted with him as well.

For one, they thought Sony a valuable lesson and rightly so, Sony were storing millions of customers credit card details in a plain text file on an unpatched public server, criminal stuff

• Advertisement

For one, they thought Sony a valuable lesson
    These are children, not caped crusaders of the intertubes. About all anyone can hope for now is that the feds keep their sentences under a decade.

These are children, not caped crusaders of the intertubes.

Regardless of their ages they did make a very public point about the inadequacies and incompetence of many large companies in how they handle the personal information of their customers.

token101 wrote: »
    Stupid f***ers. Why? What exactly did they prove by any of it? That they can take down websites and act the maggot online?

I don't see why they should be extradited either though. This crime occured on Irish soil. Let's see Del Boy Shatter show some backbone.

Do you even know what they do? They don't do these things just for the sake of it, they do it to try and keep the internet open. Without people like them, although not solely them, SOPA and ACTA would probably already be in place.

Protesting does nothing. Look what happened here for example, Ireland showed the government it's stance on the Irish SOPA, how strongly it felt towards it not being signed. But, what was signed the other day?

Unfortunately what they're doing is needed. The amount of things that they have released but is widely ignored by the media is unreal. The media only sees the things that they want to. For example, they see that Anonymous hacked Stratfor and leaked emails. But they don't report what's on those emails. I just read that they have learned from the emails that US Special Forces are now in Syria, I don't see that all over the news.

I'd never do what they do, but I support them completely. It's needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Regardless of their ages they did make a very public point about the inadequacies and incompetence of many large companies in how they handle the personal information of their customers.
    Nobody cares. Seriously, walk down the street and talk to a hundred people. If one of them can tell you what lulzsec was or their concerns for their online information, I'd be stunned.

Here's what actually happened: some competent skiddies found out that a lot of websites were insecure, and invented some wild-ass justification for hacking anyone whose website wasn't locked down properly.

It was a case of we can do this, we are doing this, so now lets try and justify it. The first attack was because a rapper was insulted on air, for pity's sake.

And now two intelligent and promising young men have destroyed their own future, and not for a high ideal, but for "the lulz".

Stupid.

Nobody cares. Seriously, walk down the street and talk to a hundred people. If one of them can tell you what lulzsec was or their concerns for their online information, I'd be stunned.

Here's what actually happened: some competent skiddies found out that a lot of websites were insecure, and invented some wild-ass justification for hacking anyone whose website wasn't locked down properly.

It was a case of we can do this, we are doing this, so now lets try and justify it. The first attack was because a rapper was insulted on air, for pity's sake.

And now two intelligent and promising young men have destroyed their own future, and not for a high ideal, but for "the lulz".

Stupid.

So you'd be happy enough with someone having your credit card number, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

The full details are absolutely fascinating. The Gardai are at fault for the tapped FBI conference call, forwarded it to his private Gmail... apparently a Garda iCloud account was hacked as a result. http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/84134910

Friel wrote: »

These 'freedom fighters' stole peoples' credit card details and carried out identity thefts.

Do you even know what they do? They don't do these things just for the sake of it, they do it to try and keep the internet open. Without people like them, although not solely them, SOPA and ACTA would probably already be in place.

Protesting does nothing. Look what happened here for example, Ireland showed the government it's stance on the Irish SOPA, how strongly it felt towards it not being signed. But, what was signed the other day?

Unfortunately what they're doing is needed. The amount of things that they have released but is widely ignored by the media is unreal. The media only sees the things that they want to. For example, they see that Anonymous hacked Stratfor and leaked emails. But they don't report what's on those emails. I just read that they have learned from the emails that US Special Forces are now in Syria, I don't see that all over the news.

I'd never do what they do, but I support them completely. It's needed.

Taking your logic, should I go rob a bank to prove the bank bailout was wrong? It's not OK to steal to prove a point. It's still wrong. Maybe the media don't care because no one who buys the papers or watches TV gives a **** about their crusade and cares far more about the type of dickhead who'll steal credit card info just because they can? Why did they tale down the FG website before the election last year? What was the purpose there?

Maybe you weren't supposed to know? You think you have an entitlement to know everything that goes on? Transparency causes as many problems as it solves. Maybe US Special Forces are worried about their safety by entering a war zone? Why the f*** do you or anyone else need to know that? They're kids acting the ****ing gowl without thinking about any of the consequences. Maybe 4/5 years down the line after a few years prison they'll learn.

Support away, you'll be a minority. I'll guarantee you that.

They're the ones that stole it FFS!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement