Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Irish arrested among leaders of Lulzsec

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

McAleese one hangs 'round some shady types... we knew that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I wonder how long until the FBI just give up? Reprisal hacks have started:http://cybercrime.pandasecurity.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I wonder how long until the FBI just give up?
    Dunno, maybe ask the USSR?

Tis a bad business though, I seriously hope they beat extradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

woodoo wrote: »
    Enda will sent the government jet over with the two hackers accompanied by the minister for justice. All done before the extradition is even requested.

Enda will be in Washington DC himself to present the Shamrock to Obama soon enough. He can bring the two lads with him. Whats the bets the FBI if they aren't already now track these computer programming competitions to see who is a potential hacker or employee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

The "palladium" guy is (or now used to be) in my chemistry labs and my maths lectures.

This is really weird. Now that I think of it, he was always on his laptop :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Doc Ruby wrote: »

What would you say would be a fair punishment? Assuming you don't think they should just walk.

Just finished reading the indictment documents, they won't. The information against palladium at least is solid as a rock, and the FBI assisted the guards in getting him for the fine gael site, so I think they'll return the favour.

Poor eejit, I really feel sorry for him.

grizzly wrote: »
    What would you say would be a fair punishment? Assuming you don't think they should just walk.
    They clearly have skills which can prove valuable, so its a case of removing the antisocial element from their attitude. Whatever the situation, I don't think they deserve what's going to be done to them over in America.

Just finished reading the indictment documents, they won't. The information against palladium at least is solid as a rock, and the FBI assisted the guards in getting him for the fine gael site, so I think they'll return the favour.

Oh I know, I know exactly what they are going to go through, I know why, and I'd even lay money against the time they serve. The whole thing is so damned stupid.

grizzly wrote: »

Up to 15 years for a 19yo accessing data in someone else's gmail that never should have been there in the first place, never even should have existed IMO?

It's pretty harsh, you have to admit, fair to me would be giving him a decent scare, a light or suspended sentence, with serious consequences if he ever pulls this kind of stuff again, he's only 19, and he seems to be a decent guy outside of his questionable internet ethics. The others vary though, like the two Americans deserve a decent sentence, then again not the hundred and twenty something? Sabu is facing.

Doc: What's your bet? Mine's more than 5, less than 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just read through those too.

I kinda feel sorry for the 'innocent hacker' type who just explores networks for geeky curiosity. I think Gary McKinnon fits into that description.

However, actually attacking and taking down systems is a totally different issue entirely.

I don't really see it as much different from any other kind of causing deliberate damage to a physical thing.

I do hope however that their sentences are proportionate and I would prefer if the cases were tried in Ireland rather than the US.

Doc: What's your bet? Mine's more than 5, less than 10.
    I'd rather not.

I'd rather not.

Sorry that sounds bad in isolation and not in my head... I was carrying on from 'lay money against'. I just meant how do you think it will play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

That's a dangerous assumption. After all, they caught at least one of them and got him to turn in the others, more than likely as part of a plea bargain.

Fed raids, FBI wiretaps, turning state witness, its like Sopranos for nerds.
    syklops wrote: »
    The FBI don't want to extradite him to give him a job. They want to extradite him to put him in a cell next to a 300 pound serial man rapist.

I'm no expert, but this isnt the face of a person who would flourish in a prison environment.

In truth I dont honestly think these type of lads end up in somewhere like Emerald City in Oz. They have camps for hackers, ex cops, ex prison officers, mafia rats who cant be placed in a general prison population while they serve out 3 years of a life sentence for co operating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well; it is no question that there lives are completely gone out the window after this mess.

Ireland is surely having a great time in the Knowledge Economy I'll bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

They've allegedly committed these offences on Irish soil, some of the servers that are supposed to have been attacked are loccated in Ireland. The attacks are also supposed to have originated in Ireland. They should be tried in an Irish court of Law, they have no business been extradited. Lets see the Irish government show a smidgin of backbone and exert it's soverign right to trie these individuals in an Irish court of law.

Don't even enter into a conversation with the Americans regarding extradition, quite simply tell them 'we'll deal with it'. Or am I living in a fantasy land to think that the Irish government will defend it's soverignty and the rights of it's citizens?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

In breaking news, Sean Sherlock has injuncted Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭GombeanMan

bertisevil wrote: »
    They've allegedly committed these offences on Irish soil, some of the servers that are supposed to have been attacked are loccated in Ireland. The attacks are also supposed to have originated in Ireland. They should be tried in an Irish court of Law, they have no business been extradited. Lets see the Irish government show a smidgin of backbone and exert it's soverign right to trie these individuals in an Irish court of law.

Don't even enter into a conversation with the Americans regarding extradition, quite simply tell them 'we'll deal with it'. Or am I living in a fantasy land to think that the Irish government will defend it's soverignty and the rights of it's citizens?

Won't matter, extradition from Ireland to the USA is generally handled by the Federal Government only, and because Ireland has signed international treaties with the USA in respect of extradition of foreign criminals, they will be going. The argument that it "was commited on Irish soil" does not stand. They interfered with USA Computer property. It's little different from say, breaking and entering a house on their soil with malicious intent, so to speak. With U.S.C. § 3184, They're Fcuked:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I wish we would tell America to fúcking shove it with this whole extradition crap. Makes me sick when they play world police.

Perhaps they should have left American systems alone, then, and concentrated on Irish systems. Then only the Gardai would be going after them.
    If the case is where Sabu sold them out, then I'm saying the FBI/Police/Etc are Cyber amateurs.

Why? Their job is to hunt down criminals to include hacking. There is no rule which says that they may only use computer-based solutions in order to do that job. Indeed, it's probably better for them not to: The hackers may be very good with computers, but the FBI has years upon years of cracking cases without worrying about IP addresses, something which the hackers probably don't think about too much. Emphasise your strengths, minimise the enemy's strengths.

Final answer, in this case, the FBI got who they were looking for by legal means and has apparently a good case for conviction. Not much more to be said.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Regardless of plea bargains, if any will be offered, these lads are royally screwed. I was reading this case and it's a bitter pill to swallow when yout ake in the age of these guys and their potential. Unfortunately they made the wrong decisions and took the wrong actions.

The Irish Government will not do a thing to help these guys. Lulzsec is regarded as an online terrorist organisation and we know how the US likes to treat "terrorists".

Will any action be taken against the Garda for using his gmail account for work purposes? Surely the book needs to be thrown at this idiot; which of course it won't.

These guys are going to need strong legal & public support to try and beat the extradition. Given the current situation RE referendum and media coverage; I really can't see this being successful.

With regards to our government, well we saw what happened with SOPA and how they bent to the higher corporate powers. These lads will not be serving their sentences on Irish soil.
    I really do wish them the best of luck because they're just young fellas but if you play with fire....you know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Probably a coincidence, but Facebook is offline globally , could it possibly have been taken down by hackers as a warning ?

or not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Perhaps they should have left American systems alone, then, and concentrated on Irish systems. Then only the Gardai would be going after them.

The FG website was hosted in Arizona

Probably a coincidence, but Facebook is offline globally , could it possibly have been taken down by hackers as a warning ?

or not ?

Could have been but it's back up. I don't think they would have gone for something that big but you just never know. They started attacking other hacking sites that co-operated with the Feds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Award winning Trinity student is world’s top hacker claims the FBI.

Dear Independent,

Please refrain from using hyperbole to garner attention for your rag.

Nobody has claimed Donncha is the "world's top hacker".

Yours sincerely,
    Fuck you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Seachmall wrote: »

Apparently Hugh Jackman's character in Swordfish was based on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wouldnt these guys have a strong case against extradition given the high likelyhood of them being raped and otherwise brutalised in federal prison in the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

Wouldnt these guys have a strong case against extradition given the high likelyhood of them being raped and otherwise brutalised in federal prison in the US?

Oh I'd say we'll politely ignore those issues. Wouldn't do to be seen accusing the states of routinely condoning human rights violations. Maybe they'll send him to Guantanamo since he's a terrorist/for safe keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Having read the FBI documents, it's safe to say that the guys are fairly screwed. A solid case is built against them with plenty of detailed evidence mounted up. Lulzsec did alot of damage last year and a strong example will be made of them.

Sold down the river by Sabu. If I was part of a blackhat group and the leader went missing for a while, returned, and stopped owning servers I'd have bailed instantly and stayed off the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The playing up by the FBI of Sabu grassing on the others is a master stroke. What better way to persuade these groups to stop what they are doing than by instilling a sense of distrust and uncertainty amongst their ranks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I feel sorry for these guys. Yes, they played with fire and probably broke a bunch of laws, but if they are extradited you can be sure that they will face a disproportionately harsh punishment in an American justice system that will unfairly label them "terrorists". I'd like to see them tried in Ireland but I doubt that will happen. Two promising and talented young lives ruined, but I suppose at the end of the day they will only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It's going to take years though, by the time there's court cases, appeals, EU appeals. How many years has that lad in England been at it? Must be going on 10 years now at this stage. And he's still free. They should start packing on serious muscle and learning self defense ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Strange to see an AH thread where people are decrying the harshness of prison regimes and sentencing in other countries, and suggesting it would be more correct to deal with this under the Irish judicial system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

He's out anyway...

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-release-hacking-probe-suspect-542598.html

He should have watched Hackers beforehand..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Strange to see an AH thread where people are decrying the harshness of prison regimes and sentencing in other countries, and suggesting it would be more correct to deal with this under the Irish judicial system.
    If Larry Murphy had put on a Guy Fawkes mask, he could have won the hearts and minds of AH.

token101 wrote: »
    It's going to take years though, by the time there's court cases, appeals, EU appeals. How many years has that lad in England been at it? Must be going on 10 years now at this stage. And he's still free. They should start packing on serious muscle and learning self defense ;)

That's a completely different situation though. He didn't launch attacks on the websites he hacked. He actually found holes and flaws in the security system and tried to improve them. Plus afaik he's got Asbergers so that's a major part of his defence especially as his intent for hacking was to find out more about the US' participation with UFOs and aliens. To think he hacked into their systems from a dial up computer in his basement.

There was an excellent article about McKinnon in GQ from like 2005. I remember reading it years ago. Quite insightful. Can't seem to find the link now but will prob have a look for it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

I imagine the Gardai investigation is going something like this.

Ironically there's a nice big Playstation advert on the end of this thread. Wonder is it there for the LULZ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

pandaboy wrote: »
    Ironically there's a nice big Playstation advert on the end of this thread. Wonder is it there for the LULZ?

What ad, I've not seen ads in years. You need adblock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seachmall wrote: »

Will from The Inbetweeners is a hacker,who'd have thought eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

dlofnep wrote: »

haha still posting on boards despite
    A second Irish student, Darren Martyn, 25, from Galway, with the hacker name pwnsauce, was also named on the charge sheet published by the US Attorney’s office. He has not been arrested.

All I can say is that I didn't mind really what they had done, they had given a big up yours to several large companies who seemingly could not give a flying f*ck about your security information if it was so available.

I hope they stay in Ireland and that they receive a fair trial when it eventually comes to court.

It’s horrible to think that these lads could in theory get longer in prison than rapists, murderers and child molesters.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What ad, I've not seen ads in years. You need adblock

****ty work computer at the moment. Can't install extensions into the browser. Crock of **** but sure I have to bear with it. Adblock ftw though, especially on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I am not saying they shouldnt be punished but I do think it should be proportionate to the crime. If they are sent stateside, firstly I dont believe they will get a fair trail as the 'T' word is being thrown about, secondly when convicted they will face 15years of anal rape. This punishment does not fit the crime. If I were these guys I would certainly appeal all the way to the European court of human rights on the grounds that my anal virginity is in peril and then if that fails, flee to a country with no extradition treaties with the US or Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Well, they committed the crimes, pretty high profile ones too, so not a leg to stand on really; a pity, as they're still quite young, not that long out of secondary school it seems. Hopefully they are dealt with leniently.

Absolutely fúck-all chance of them getting a fair trial in the US though; even if they attacked US servers, they didn't commit the crimes in the US, so they should be put on trial here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

RTE are reporting that the two lads have been charged.
    Two Irish men have been charged in their absence with computer hacking offences at a federal court in New York.
    Link

I am not saying they shouldnt be punished but I do think it should be proportionate to the crime. If they are sent stateside, firstly I dont believe they will get a fair trail as the 'T' word is being thrown about, secondly when convicted they will face 15years of anal rape. This punishment does not fit the crime. If I were these guys I would certainly appeal all the way to the European court of human rights on the grounds that my anal virginity is in peril and then if that fails, flee to a country with no extradition treaties with the US or Ireland.

Their passports will be seized if they get bail. They haven't a hope of fleeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

token101 wrote: »
    Their passports will seized if they get bail. They haven't a hope of fleeing.

Look up the security of our old and new passports.

So is they're being charged in Ireland, they'll be jailed here? Surely they won't still be extradited to the US after that? That would be f***ing ridiculous in fairness.

• Advertisement

Look up the security of our old and new passports.

These lads will be caught if they tried that. I'd nearly guarantee it. Their pics are everywhere! Where are they going to go anyway? Realistically now, and remembering this isn't a film. They'd have no life. They'd be better off riding out the storm and trying this legally.

Advertisement