Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges for leaving Eircom

Options
  • 06-03-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Recently changed from Eircom to Vodafone for Home Phone and Broadband and Eircom have given me a lovely parting shot.
    • Charge in lieu of one months notice to cease service 20.96 ex VAT
    • Residential line early cease charge 155.82 ex VAT

The Residential line early cease charge is the one bugging me, as far as I'm concerned the minimum contract period had lapsed and I'm not liable for this charge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Dempsey wrote: »
    Recently changed from Eircom to Vodafone for Home Phone and Broadband and Eircom have given me a lovely parting shot.

The Residential line early cease charge is the one bugging me, as far as I'm concerned the minimum contract period had lapsed and I'm not liable for this charge.

Hi Dempsey,

Thank you for your post.

If you PM me with your eircom Account number and phone number I will look into your query.

Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Hi Dempsey,

Thank you for your post.

If you PM me with your eircom Account number and phone number I will look into your query.

Regards,
    Ant
    You think thats bad, they have gotten soliciters on to me for leaving after I signed up for next generation broadband which I didnt get. Had a bill for 250

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Oh Eircom, you really outdid yourself today!

I received a "final bill" today on top of the monthly bill I received on Tuesday.

This was under "Miscellaneous"

Charge in lieu of one months notice to cease service 20.96 ex VAT
    Broadband early cease charge 249.28 ex VAT

What sort of joke is this? Is this the bully tactic Eircom have resorted to get people to 'come back to Eircom'?

Oh Eircom, you really outdid yourself today!

I received a "final bill" today on top of the monthly bill I received on Tuesday.

This was under "Miscellaneous"

Broadband early cease charge 249.28 ex VAT

What sort of joke is this? Is this the bully tactic Eircom have resorted to get people to 'come back to Eircom'?

Hi Dempsey,

If you PM your phone number or eircom Account number, I will look into your query.

Thanks again,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

Just got something similar, have the phone line about 10 years, got broadband 4 years ago, moving to another provider and just got my last bill:

182.24 Early Release Charge for Broadband
    131.32 Early release charge for the Phone

What is even stranger is that the bill includes a credit or 17.25 for unused phone allowance and 17 Eur for unused broadband.

Unbelievable, and I will undoubtedly get a letter or advertising in the future asking me to come back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

npc_100 wrote: »
    Just got something similar, have the phone line about 10 years, got broadband 4 years ago, moving to another provider and just got my last bill:

182.24 Early Release Charge for Broadband
    131.32 Early release charge for the Phone

What is even stranger is that the bill includes a credit or 17.25 for unused phone allowance and 17 Eur for unused broadband.

Unbelievable, and I will undoubtedly get a letter or advertising in the future asking me to come back!

Hi npc_100,

If you would like me to look into the cancellation charges you have been billed. Private message me with your eircom account number and I can check it out.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 qyt

Hi I just got a final bill of €81.27 and there's a charge for *Charge in lieu of one months notice to cease service of 20.96 four times! 3 times on the same day and another one 11 days later and i just dont understand that

qyt wrote: »
    Hi I just got a final bill of €81.27 and there's a charge for *Charge in lieu of one months notice to cease service of 20.96 four times! 3 times on the same day and another one 11 days later and i just dont understand that

Hi qyt,

If you would like to private message me with your eircom account number and the best contact number and time to give a call to go through the charges on that bill.

Thanks, Mark

qyt wrote: »

Hi qyt,

I got your PM with your details thanks, I will look into it and give you a call after 4pm tomorrow as requested.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Djawl

With Eircom for over 33 loyal years and promply paying every bill.

In an effort to save on broadband costs I changed to Smart recently. Even though my contract was well past its course and having to wait 39 days for Eircom to hand me over to Smart - I get sideswiped with two "Charge in lieu of one months notice".

The thing is, I got that Final Bill only days after I fully paid a due bill - of course Eircom knew that my account would be in credit and they could simply retain the monies.

This is very very unfair. Eircom accepted "loss notification notices" from Smart but also require me to personally give them notification, something that was not in my original contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭roxybing

If we wern't notified of the change to our contract are we still liable for this charge.

Djawl wrote: »
    With Eircom for over 33 loyal years and promply paying every bill.

In an effort to save on broadband costs I changed to Smart recently. Even though my contract was well past its course and having to wait 39 days for Eircom to hand me over to Smart - I get sideswiped with two "Charge in lieu of one months notice".

The thing is, I got that Final Bill only days after I fully paid a due bill - of course Eircom knew that my account would be in credit and they could simply retain the monies.

This is very very unfair. Eircom accepted "loss notification notices" from Smart but also require me to personally give them notification, something that was not in my original contract.

Hi Djawl,

eircom advised customers of the change in cancellation process a few months before it took effect on January 24th 2011.

We advised that a 30 day notification is required to be given to eircom for each service. Customers will be charged one months service if notification is not received.

Notifications were placed in customers bills in bills prior to the change in process. As well as notices being made in national newspapers & media.

eircom allowed a month between the 11/02/11 - 11/03/11 in which customers were free to cancel without penalty. However customers who did decided not to cancel within that time, accepted the new terms and conditions and cancellation process.

All terms and conditions across all channels were amended and clearly outlined the 30 day notification process and cancellation penalties involved.

The process brought us in line with a number of other telecommunications companies who implement the same cancellation process.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

We advised that a 30 day notification is required to be given to eircom for each service. Customers will be charged one months service if notification is not received.

Thanks, Mark [/FONT]
    can eircom advise me if they themselves will still be providing a service in 30 days?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Hi Djawl,

eircom advised customers of the change in cancellation process a few months before it took effect on January 24th 2011.

So if you have DSL thats 60 days notice.

Wake up eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »

Wake up eircom.

I assume you can cancel all services on the same day, thereby giving 30 days notice in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

neiphin wrote: »
    can eircom advise me if they themselves will still be providing a service in 30 days?

Hi neiphin
    Absolutely. There will be no interruption to your phone, broadband, mobile connection or service.
    We’ve been working hard for the past two years and have made significant advances in the way we operate, and we are profitable on a day to day basis.

All existing services to residential, business and corporate customers will continue to be offered so it will be business as usual for eircom operations and there will be no impact to customers during the examinership period.

For further information on this visit our home site here or call our dedicated support number 1800 303 470.

Tony

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »

Wake up eircom.

Hi Mr_Grumpy
    While there may have been some mis-understanding and delay in that particular case, the period is still 30 days notice. While the 30 days notice does have to be provided for each service, this can be given in parallel and not sequentially. If there is any problem with account closure please PM me the details and I can investigate for you.
    Tony

I assume you can cancel all services on the same day, thereby giving 30 days notice in total.

Hi ninjasurfer1
    Yes, eircom require a 30 day notification to cancel broadband and phone service.
    eircom cancellations take a record of your intention to cease and they will follow up 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed assuming eircom have received a letter or e-mail 30 days after receipt.

Tony

Eircom "advised customers" - a contract is an agreement between two parties and may only be changed by the agreement of both parties. Customers being notified by means of an insert included with bills does not fulfill this understanding - not many people examine this kind of junk mail when looking at a bill. This way of doing business is very biased against the consumer. I do not have a copy of the NEW terms and conditions or I would most certainly have not allowed myself to be at a financial loss.

My account with Smart was activated 39 days later. That is 9 days over Eircom's unilateral extraordinary personal requirement of notice. Eircom accepted Smart to be working on my behalf, but strangely did not accept "Loss Notification" notices from Smart on my behalf. This is called having your cake and eating it (the cake is paid for by me, unfortunately). This is very unfair to me as the consumer and is very advantageous to Eircom.

Transactions between consumers and service suppliers are subject to contract law. The European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) Regulations, 1995 require that all standard contracts be: 
    Fair, 
    Written in simple language that can be easily understood,
    Not biased against the consumer.

Mark, Eircom is out of step with other telecommunications companies - Comreg's website states that in changing providers "in general, you do not need to tell them". There is a financial reward to Eircom in having its customers ignorant of their unusual notices while at the same time Eircom will accept instruction by an agent but may still create a catch 22 so as to extract more money from an unsuspecting customer. Under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations, it is against the law for a company to weigh a contract to their own advantage.

Eircom "advised customers" - a contract is an agreement between two parties and may only be changed by the agreement of both parties. Customers being notified by means of an insert included with bills does not fulfill this understanding - not many people examine this kind of junk mail when looking at a bill. This way of doing business is very biased against the consumer. I do not have a copy of the NEW terms and conditions or I would most certainly have not allowed myself to be at a financial loss.

My account with Smart was activated 39 days later. That is 9 days over Eircom's unilateral extraordinary personal requirement of notice. Eircom accepted Smart to be working on my behalf, but strangely did not accept "Loss Notification" notices from Smart on my behalf. This is called having your cake and eating it (the cake is paid for by me, unfortunately). This is very unfair to me as the consumer and is very advantageous to Eircom.

Transactions between consumers and service suppliers are subject to contract law. The European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) Regulations, 1995 require that all standard contracts be:
    Fair,

Mark, Eircom is out of step with other telecommunications companies - Comreg's website states that in changing providers "in general, you do not need to tell them". There is a financial reward to Eircom in having its customers ignorant of their unusual notices while at the same time Eircom will accept instruction by an agent but may still create a catch 22 so as to extract more money from an unsuspecting customer. Under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations, it is against the law for a company to weigh a contract to their own advantage.

Hi Djawl,

Thank you for your post.

Mark has already outlined eircom's cancellation process. I do appreciate your position. As advised, eircom are now in line with other Telcos in this regard.

"..eircom advised customers of the change in cancellation process a few months before it took effect on January 24th 2011.

Notifications were placed in customers bills in bills prior to the change in process. As well as notices being made in national newspapers & media.

eircom allowed a month between the 11/02/11 - 11/03/11 in which customers were free to cancel without penalty. However customers who did decided not to cancel within that time, accepted the new terms and conditions and cancellation process.

All terms and conditions across all channels were amended and clearly outlined the 30 day notification process and cancellation penalties involved.

The process brought us in line with a number of other telecommunications companies who implement the same cancellation process.
    Thanks, Mark"

If I can help you further, let me know.

Regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Transactions between consumers and service suppliers are subject to contract law. The European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) Regulations, 1995 require that all standard contracts be:
    Fair,

Mark, Eircom is out of step with other telecommunications companies - Comreg's website states that in changing providers "in general, you do not need to tell them". There is a financial reward to Eircom in having its customers ignorant of their unusual notices while at the same time Eircom will accept instruction by an agent but may still create a catch 22 so as to extract more money from an unsuspecting customer. Under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations, it is against the law for a company to weigh a contract to their own advantage.

You probably should have read the terms and conditions before ceasing your service. The fault lies with you for no doing so. The amount off people who cease service's with UPC, Mobile or fixed line operaters and then come on to boards to moan never cease's to amaze me. Had you read the T&C's, like you are should, then you wouldve known you were in contract and 30 day notice

I have shown Eircom's cancellation process to be flawed for the consumer and advantageous for the provider.

The facts speak loudly for themselves, both legal and otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spinzes

oppiuy wrote: »
    You probably should have read the terms and conditions before ceasing your service. The fault lies with you for no doing so. The amount off people who cease service's with UPC, Mobile or fixed line operaters and then come on to boards to moan never cease's to amaze me. Had you read the T&C's, like you are should, then you wouldve known you were in contract and 30 day notice

l'm in a similar boat if l only did what butters did
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ23kosLFec
    l'm having a good moan over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056594907

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Mark / Tony,

Can one inform Eircom at the time of notification that one wishes the services to be terminated on a specific date e.g. at the end of a future billing period (greater than 30 days in advance of course)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Everything the reps above say is "30 days" yet, the email you get when you send an email to phonecancellations@eircom.ie states "30 working days" - so which is it?

Mark / Tony,

Can one inform Eircom at the time of notification that one wishes the services to be terminated on a specific date e.g. at the end of a future billing period (greater than 30 days in advance of course)?

Thanks for your query.

It is possible to state a specific date in the future beyond the 30 day cancellation time frame. However, if you have broadband, this will be automatically discontinued on 30 days, while your phoneline itself may be carried over to the specific date.

It is best to just aim for 30 days notice with both services.

If you need further assistance with your query, please freefone directly : 1800 242 633

Kind regards,
    Ant

testicle wrote: »
    Everything the reps above say is "30 days" yet, the email you get when you send an email to phonecancellations@eircom.ie states "30 working days" - so which is it?

Hello testicle,

The cancellation time frame is 30 days from the date you make your request. For example, if you chose the 1st of September, then the cancellation date would be on the 1st of October.

I hope this helps with your query.

Regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hello testicle,

The cancellation time frame is 30 days from the date you make your request. For example, if you chose the 1st of September, then the cancellation date would be on the 1st of October.

I hope this helps with your query.

Regards,
    Ant

Thanks. You may want to get this reworded then.
    If you have requested the cessation of your account (all lines and services including Broadband if applicable) this will take place 30 working days from today.

Please note that if you have Broadband, this will be ceased two to three days in advance of the cessation of the account itself. This is for technical reasons to facilitate the cessation and is unavoidable. We hope that this will not inconvenience you unduly.

If you have requested the cessation of only your Broadband service -leaving your line(s) and other services active- this will be done 30 working days from today.

30 working days is about 6 weeks.

testicle wrote: »
    Thanks. You may want to get this reworded then.

30 working days is about 6 weeks.

I have rechecked this with the Customer Care department and can confirm that the cancellation time frame is 30 days. I apologise for any confusion on this. If you need assistance with your request, please call directly into the phone number below:

eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service. If you contact our service team on 1800 242 633 they will take a record of the call and then transfer you to the cancellation department. Eircom cancellations will take a record of your intention to cease and give the e-mail address or postal address to send the written request. They will follow up 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed assuming eircom have received a letter or e-mail 30 days prior.

Regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

I have shown Eircom's cancellation process to be flawed for the consumer and advantageous for the provider - BUT on top of that my account with Eircom is in credit and I have not yet received what is owed to me. I am waiting 60 days now. Looks like Eircom is flawed in more ways than one.

Unfair in retaining charges and arrogant in their ignorance ... will I ever receive what is owed to me? In my 33 years with this company I always paid on time, Pity Eircom cannot display the same courtesy.

Advertisement