Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Cost of Furnishing a House

Options
  • 06-03-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Wondering if I could have your imput people ! I am a total newbie first time buyer and wondering how much to budget for furnishing my house.

Its a 2 bed townhouse- would be furniture only, I am very lucky I have no need for a new kitchen, floors or tiling. Would literally be to furnish the place.

Just wanted to get an idea of how much people are budgeting/spending these days (as Google searches are not showing any recent info!)- any of you that recently bought- would love to have your imput !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can have a look at the ikea planner and see the cost that way.
    http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_IE/rooms_ideas/splashplanners.html

I understand why you ask but since you can buy each item at any price I can't see how it'd help you to know what I spent on my house.
    Don't compare yourself to others, buy what you consider good quality and good value and you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Blondie2011

Thanks a million Biko- I know I can't really compare myself to others, just trying to get a guide/idea on what people spend/budget these days to furnish their houses... I have a budget in mind but not sure how realistic it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How long is a piece of string tbh, you can spend lots or very little.

I would tend to say that for a sitting room, buying a 2 + 1 couch, a TV and a couple of small units/cabinets will set you back €2k.

For each bedroom then, €500 on a bed and another €200 on units. Throw in another €500 for each room if you need wardrobes.

But you could easily spend multiples of these or go the Argos route and spend half the amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

short answers is anywhere between five and ten grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

short answers is anywhere between five and ten grand

i'd say anything from 50 quid to 50 million .. you can get plenty of furniture for free etc ..

I am considering buying a house this year .. it would hopefully be the last house i'd ever buy. In my budgets I am factoring in about 30-50k to furnish and finish it when I get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

Hi

we moved into a two bed house a couple of months ago...We got all the main kitchen appliances, tiles and wardrobes included so need to buy those...we spent circa 5K on furniture - 3 piece leather sofa, kitchen table, one main bed, (kids are in Cots) curtains, kitchen utensils, Towels, cutlery, Microwave, pots and pans, hover, bed clothes, rug, etc...We bought the major of these in the Arnotts sale last year.. we could have done it for less but we wanted to buy some good stuff that would last...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

We're furnishing a three bed at the moments and it's coming in at 6,000 approx. In saying that we've borrowed beds for our spare rooms so we only bought a bed frame, a mattress, two lockers, a big chest of drawers, a two seater sofa, a three seater sofa, a nest of tables, a big bookshelf, a dining room table plus six chairs. If you buy everything you need in one place you can get really good discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Blondie2011

Thanks for the input.... I know it is one of those questions as in how long is a piece of string but at the same time I'm trying to work to a budget.... €6K, out of this am looking for;

2 X bedframes (1 good quality the other decent for the spare room)
    2 X Nightstands
    2 X 2 seater sofa
    2 X Matresses
    1 X coffee table
    1 X TV stand
    1 X Shelves/sideboard
    1 X Dining table and chairs
    1 X chest of drawers

Not looking for Bargaintown tat that will just break within a year but not looking for antique expensive stuff either !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Best of luck with the house Blondie.

Look up donedeal.ie and similar to get an idea of what you can get secondhand. There is great range and quality if you look. It's like ordinary shopping - there will be tat and there will be quality bargains. Also a lot of shops advertise new stock and sales.

It's the thrifty way for today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Check Adverts.ie for free stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 altoids

check jumbletown.ie too. Also there's loads of charity/second hand shops popping up all over the place so it might be worth checking those out too. Personally I think its worth spending money on your bed and couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frozenbanana

If you buy everything you need in one place you can get really good discounts.

Buying this way makes it really hard to put your own stamp on the house,it will end up looking like this shop's catalogue. But each to their own.

Personally I think there are better ways to save money, refreshing olds stuff, sales, buying bits and bobs overtime etc.

Consider DIY as well, IE. bookshelfs are quite easy and cheap to make yourself for the fraction of the shop price.

And as someone said abve, don't skimp on a bed and a sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

[QUOTE=seamus;77455567)

I would tend to say that for a sitting room, buying a 2 + 1 couch, a TV and a couple of small units/cabinets will set you back €2k.

For each bedroom then, €500 on a bed and another €200 on units. Throw in another €500 for each room if you need wardrobes.

But you could easily spend multiples of these or go the Argos route and spend half the amount.[/QUOTE]

I know answers can vary but this seems very optimistic a half decent 3/2/1 suite of furniture is gonna cost at least 3k tv 500-750 and a decent double bed at least 1500 and wardrobes cost a small fortune

Advertisement