Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding AIB maintenance and transaction fees

Options
  • 06-03-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I got hit with an unexpected ~€35 of AIB fees this morning. It was the first time that I got hit with the fees and I want to avoid them in future.

According to the AIB booklet on fees, all I need to do is:

1) at least one purchase transaction using their AIB Debit Card in each fee quarter
    AND
    2) at least one debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking in each fee quarter.

I use my AIB debit card for transactions regularly so number one isn't a problem.

For number two (the debit transaction using AIB), can I simply move a small amount of money from my current account into my savings account each quarter? I've scoured the small print and I can't see anything that would suggest that this wouldn't count as a debit transaction but I'd like confirmation because I don't want to get hit with fees again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

I've purchased phone credit on the AIB website, also paying off the AIB issued credit card on the site. Haven't paid charges in years.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭deltakilo

You can use the mobile top up, pay bills such as credit card or electricity and you can transfer money to different accounts. I have been using all these options and saved a lot on fees.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I got hit with an unexpected ~€35 of AIB fees this morning. It was the first time that I got hit with the fees and I want to avoid them in future.

According to the AIB booklet on fees, all I need to do is:

1) at least one purchase transaction using their AIB Debit Card in each fee quarter
    AND
    2) at least one debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking in each fee quarter.

I use my AIB debit card for transactions regularly so number one isn't a problem.

For number two (the debit transaction using AIB), can I simply move a small amount of money from my current account into my savings account each quarter? I've scoured the small print and I can't see anything that would suggest that this wouldn't count as a debit transaction but I'd like confirmation because I don't want to get hit with fees again.

You can transfer ANY amount to any account for it to count as using phone & internet banking. In the past I have moved as little as 50c from current a/c to another a/c and it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

It gets worse!
    AIB are changing the criteria for free fees. Not going to be as easy in the future:

http://irishstuff.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/20aib-to-hit-customers-in-fees-hike/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Advertisement

I'm off to change banks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Yeah, I've had it with AIB and BOI.

Anyone have any experience with Ulster Bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

For 18 transactions per month plus €4.80 maintenance per quarter - works out at about €4.73 per month.

Does anyone else pay fees with any of the other banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

This is the section that'll see me closing my account with AIB and doing all of my banking from my PTSB account:

Service Charges
    Service Charges cover a wide range of services provided by AIB Bank. When you avail of a service, the appropriate charge will be applied as it occurs unless otherwise stated. Service Charges are not included in maintenance and transaction free banking. Account transaction fees may also apply.

Duplicate Bank Statements and Certificates
    • Duplicate Statements per page €2.54
    • Duplicate Certificates of Interest €6.35 each
    Unpaid items
    • Cheques lodged to your account and returned unpaid €4.44 per item
    • Cheques, direct debits or standing orders presented on your account and returned unpaid €10.00 per item

Other Services
    • Bank Drafts – payable in euro for use in the Republic of Ireland €1.90 each
    • Additional/Replacement Card Reader for AIB Phone & Internet Banking €5.50 per request
    • Inter-Branch transfer (a payment from an AIB account to another AIB account) €12.70 per item
    • Inter-Bank transfer (a payment from an AIB account to a non-AIB account within the Republic of Ireland) €25.39 per item

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's (almost)robbery!

• Advertisement

hadook wrote: »
    • Inter-Branch transfer (a payment from an AIB account to another AIB account) €12.70 per item
    • Inter-Bank transfer (a payment from an AIB account to a non-AIB account within the Republic of Ireland) €25.39 per item

While crazy is that not where you use an aib teller to help you? I think if it's done online it's 20cent. I think anyway from my reading of it

I suspect credit card maintenance fee's will follow soon too. They only got rid of them when MBNA entered the market and now that they're gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

cookie1977 wrote: »
    While crazy is that not where you use an aib teller to help you? I think if it's done online it's 20cent. I think anyway from my reading of it

I've just gone back and reread it and it also says that AIB teller transactions are 30c according to the t&c's.

Duplicate statement fees are charged the same whether you ring up and request or go into the bank and they're in the same section of Service Charges. Now I'm hoping the astronomical fees are for teller transactions but then I'd also like to believe that a minimum daily balance of 2.5k is a misprint. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That's not good. Realistically, I won't meet their minimum requirements for free fees. I've been with AIB since college (1992) and I hate to say it, but it might be time to look for an alternative.

Those branch/bank transfer fees are also ludicrous (if it applies to online transfers).

Mr E wrote: »
    That's not good. Realistically, I won't meet their minimum requirements for free fees. I've been with AIB since college (1992) and I hate to say it, but it might be time to look for an alternative.

Those branch/bank transfer fees are also ludicrous (if it applies to online transfers).

They'll all follow suit quite quickly I'd imagine. But hopefully at least one will undercut the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Mr E wrote: »

Me too.
    Im getting a bit tired of all these conditions for free fees anyway.

Any other banks do free fees, without having you to jump through hoops?

No time like the present to change.

And not only am I getting rid of my current account, but also my regular savings and other savings accounts that I have with AIB.

And the wifes AIB accounts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They're probably hoping that people will think that it's too much hassle to move banks and that Irish people will just turn the other cheek and stay where they are.

I hate to say it, but it's probably likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

So do you folks, who intend to change banks, expect to be met at the door, by any one of the few other banks which remain standing in this country, and be given a cup of coffee and a few buiscuits:rolleyes:

Bottom line ........... all the banks are bust:o
    They will ALL, become ever more creative and inventive, and downright vicious, in how they cut their own cost, raise revenue by applying charges to current accounts. Get used to the fact that they are going to rip you at every possible turn over the next few years.
    You will pay as more in bank fees than the current household charge plus septic tank charge put together:mad:
    There is a silent revolution going on about the household charge, but not a dicky bird about AIB bank fees, even though it's owned by the government:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Does this mean that you now only need to keep a balance of 2.5k to avoid fees? Or do you also have to meet the old criteria as well?

I'm not in Ireland often enough to register an AIB debit card transaction per quarter so I've always ended up paying fees. But if I can now just keep a 2.5k balance this may work out better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Am I reading this right? Interbranch transfers? The wife gets paid into her AIB account and I move it to my AIB account for the mortgage.

This will cost 12.70 euro? I have to be wrong !

• Advertisement

Am I reading this right? Interbranch transfers? The wife gets paid into her AIB account and I move it to my AIB account for the mortgage.

This will cost 12.70 euro? I have to be wrong !

I think this is charged if you do it in a bank, whereas if you do it online it's 20cent...i think
    B Account Transaction Fees
    Automated/Self Service Transactions €0.20 each
    This fee applies to the following transactions:
    • ATM Withdrawals
    • Standing Orders
    • Direct Debits
    • Automated Lodgements (e.g. salary)
    AIB Phone & Internet Banking** Transactions
    • AIB Debit Card Transactions.

** AIB Phone & Internet Banking includes AIB Phone
    Banking, AIB Internet Banking and AIB Mobile Banking.

Me too.
    Im getting a bit tired of all these conditions for free fees anyway.

Any other banks do free fees, without having you to jump through hoops?

No time like the present to change.

And not only am I getting rid of my current account, but also my regular savings and other savings accounts that I have with AIB.

And the wifes AIB accounts too.

Was so pissed off I just called my friendly AIB bank manager.
    I asked was this true and they said it was and then the usual sh!te about what great service they offer and that all banks will be bringing in charges.

I said i'll take my chances with another bank, and I listed out my accounts and my wifes accounts and asked for a list of automatic transactions on them as we were going to move them all this week.
    Before I had finished I was told that we could extend the current free banking as long as we wanted as a special incentive for us to stay with AIB.
    She is going to send us this in writing today.

It pays to get snotty on the phone.

Oh and I got her to drop the stupid rule about 1 laser transaction and one other transaction too.
    Its free banking, with NO conditions at all.
    Put your foot down and really convince them you are leaving.

Who wants to have to have €2500 just sitting in their account that they cant touch, or it costs them. Not me.

I told her I was looking at this one, among others

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/standard-accounts.ashx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

I've been a customer of AIB for 10+ years. Read about the transaction fees on the news this morning. I'll be moving all of my standings orders and Direct Debits from then tomorrow to a bank that doesn't charge fees.

I know it's probably only a matter of time before that bank follows suit but at least they are still free for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭chasm

Well this will finally give me the kick up the backside that i need to move to another bank. I've had a cashsave a/c since 1987, at the moment it pays the princely rate of 0.025% interest. Why the hell would i want to leave €2,500 in an a/c paying such a poor rate?

I am fortunate enough to have that amount to leave in the AIB if i chose to, but what about the many who do not? According to rte 40% of its personal current account holders will qualify after the change, what about other a/cs though. Cashsave for example is not a personal current account, so what % of ALL account holders will qualify i wonder?

chasm wrote: »
    Well this will finally give me the kick up the backside that i need to move to another bank. I've had a cashsave a/c since 1987, at the moment it pays the princely rate of 0.025% interest. Why the hell would i want to leave €2,500 in an a/c paying such a poor rate?

I am fortunate enough to have that amount to leave in the AIB if i chose to, but what about the many who do not? According to rte 40% of its personal current account holders will qualify after the change, what about other a/cs though. Cashsave for example is not a personal current account, so what % of ALL account holders will qualify i wonder?

That €2500 you leave "sitting" in the AIB account will earn you over €100 a year "sitting" in another account.

So at the very least AIB are costing you €100 year, even if they give you free fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭No.125

so just to clarify.

you get free banking if you have 2500 sitting idle in an account??

but do you have to use your laser card and make a monthly online transaction aswell as having 2500 in the account?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Does the 2500 have to be in your current account or can it be in a savings account with AIB?

current I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

matrim wrote: »
    Does the 2500 have to be in your current account or can it be in a savings account with AIB?

I called into my branch today - its your current account only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

If I was lucky enough to have €2,500 in my account in the first place, I wouldn't care about fees! But I don't, and won't in near future. And I'm sure many other AIB customers won't either!
    my husband moved his account from BOI recently due to their banking fees, and was really happy with the AIB criteria for free banking. We were only discussing it a couple of days ago when we saw our statements and the refunded fees. Then they change it!
    I have said to him to get onto them and tell them he's not happy especially as he moved accounts for this reason.

How is it we are paying for banking, when I was under the impression the public own most of the bank now?? how are they getting away with this??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement