Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding AIB maintenance and transaction fees

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

If ulster bank hit the airwaves over the next month hyping up their free fees I bet they would take 90% of AIBs current account customers easily. Then after that they would start buying other banking products from uslterbank instead of AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

If ulster bank hit the airwaves over the next month hyping up their free fees I bet they would take 90% of AIBs current account customers easily. Then after that they would start buying other banking products from uslterbank instead of AIB.

Yes but if one does it, don't they all eventually follow suit? I am definitely going to look into the options available but I will not go to the bother of changing all accounts over unless I know that there won't be any new fees introduced by UB or PTSB for at least two years, and there are no guarantees here, I can't help thinking this is the way it's going to go with all banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Babooshka wrote: »
    Yes but if one does it, don't they all eventually follow suit? I am definitely going to look into the options available but I will not go to the bother of changing all accounts over unless I know that there won't be any new fees introduced by UB or PTSB for at least two years, and there are no guarantees here, I can't help thinking this is the way it's going to go with all banks.

Ask for a guarantee when you move acounts.
    I got a guarantee off AIB of no fees if myself and my wife keep our business with them. It wasnt that hard to get. Just had to convince them I was serious. But if I didnt get that I would have been gone.

Ulster bank could get so much business here. Actually any bank could if they put out a guarantee of no fees for a a few years. Current accounts are a loss leader.

People will remember getting screwed by AIB and will avoid them for loans, mortgages, deposit accounts, and all of their other products because of this.

At the end of the day there is no point letting someone give it to you in the arse just because the person in the next room might give it to you there in the future as well.

Sure if people dont protest and back up their protests then ALL of the banks know it is ok to do this. If everyone moved or insisted AIB drop their charges if they stay, then other banks would also realize that any move on charges now means too much lost business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Sure if people dont protest and back up their protests then ALL of the banks know it is ok to do this. If everyone moved or insisted AIB drop their charges if they stay, then other banks would also realize that any move on charges now means too much lost business.

Will have a chat with AIB and tell them I am going to move if they don't change their minds on this. Not that my pittance will make them worried but you're right, it's about time to take a stand on something. If no joy will ask a new bank for some form of guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ok I just heard about this, I am an avg guy who gets his (albeit small) wage into one account and has another account for bills and rent and for loans to be paid out.
    I never go into AIB branches, I use internet banking nearly every day.
    Been with AIB since the mid 90's.

What are the charges to move say €50 from one AIB current account to another AIB current account at a go?
    What are the charges to have DD set up to pay my electricty bill bi monthly and my internet bill each month?

I see large numbers quoted on here like €12 or €24 per transaction. Is this when I go into a AIB branch and lodge money or move it around via internet banking?
    I use my Lasercard once in a while each month.

Is there any use moving to Ulster Bank? Or set up an account in ulster account and tell my Payroll when its set up, same with my bills?

I have a loan with AIB, will there be more charges if I pay from a different bank?

Very confused here.

Banks = C*NTS as usual.
    We have no other option but to be paid into a bank in this country in my eyes and if we ask to be paid by cheque we still have to cash it and thats a massive charge of €12, am I right?

Also, whats Ulster Banks internet banking like? Good as AIB's or bad?
    PTSB, what they like for current accounts?

Starting to panic a little here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Closing this as we have an active thread already regarding AIB's announcement on fees.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement