Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up an Access Point networked into DSL router - help needed!

Options
  • 06-03-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭

I am setting up a router and wifi access point in a friend's house and coming across a few problems - here is where I am at:

There is a TPlink ADSL2+ router which has 300Mb Wifi-N. There are 4 laptops in the house but walls are very thick with concrete floors and even with the N range there is poor coverage for other N spec adapters. The house has pre-cabled network sockets but not all ideally located. So I want to add an access point in the areas where coverage is poor - essentially a second wifi network.

The dsl router is standard setup off an eircom socket. Beside it is a patch panel. I have wired in a cable straight to the patch panel from the back of the router. IP is 192.168.1.1. DHCP is on with a starting pool address of 192.168.1.100 to .150

Next, at the other end of the distributed network cable I have a Belkin 150N 'cable' router which is configured to 'use as Access Point'. I have designated the access point IP address as 192.168.1.2.

Here comes the problem - I'm not getting any gateway to internet.

1. I can allow the Access Point do DHCP with a separate pool amount say .50 to .99. Will this work though?? Or should the DSL router do the DHCP?

2. The Access Point has a 'Cable' socket - do I need a cross-over cable when going from router to Access Point to this socket? Or should I be using an ethernet socket on the Access Point with a cross-over cable or straight cable?

Any help is much appreciated....:)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Firstly make sure the cable router is set to use the same ESSID. ie if the Eircom router is "eircom27374636" set the ESSID of the Belkin box to the same. This allows for roaming without the laptop/phone etc having to connect/disconnect as each wifi device becomes in range. (Recommend doing this after initial steps below so that you can choose the AP specifically when testing)

DHCP on the router being used as access point should be OFF!

Set the IP of the AP to one that within the subnet of the primary router. On the eircom router then add this IP to the reserved IP list.

Turn off AP. Turn off Eircom router.
    Turn on Eircom router
    Turn on AP
    Connect to AP

Should be good to go

Oh and disable UpNP if its a feature on the Belkin device

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks giggsirish - will give it a shot over the weekend when I'm back looking at it. Cheers!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

astrofluff wrote: »
    I am setting up a router and wifi access point in a friend's house and coming across a few problems - here is where I am at:

There is a TPlink ADSL2+ router which has 300Mb Wifi-N. There are 4 laptops in the house but walls are very thick with concrete floors and even with the N range there is poor coverage for other N spec adapters. The house has pre-cabled network sockets but not all ideally located. So I want to add an access point in the areas where coverage is poor - essentially a second wifi network.

The dsl router is standard setup off an eircom socket. Beside it is a patch panel. I have wired in a cable straight to the patch panel from the back of the router. IP is 192.168.1.1. DHCP is on with a starting pool address of 192.168.1.100 to .150

Next, at the other end of the distributed network cable I have a Belkin 150N 'cable' router which is configured to 'use as Access Point'. I have designated the access point IP address as 192.168.1.2.

Here comes the problem - I'm not getting any gateway to internet.

1. I can allow the Access Point do DHCP with a separate pool amount say .50 to .99. Will this work though?? Or should the DSL router do the DHCP?

2. The Access Point has a 'Cable' socket - do I need a cross-over cable when going from router to Access Point to this socket? Or should I be using an ethernet socket on the Access Point with a cross-over cable or straight cable?

Any help is much appreciated....:)
    hi astrofluff.sorry for hijacking this thread.just to say thanks for your help re. scale....worked out sound.

Advertisement