Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cashier not putting your items in the bag

• 06-03-2012 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

So I've noticed this in a few places now. Mainly in a Tesco express I frequent but also in other shops.

I have my few items, and leave them by the till for the cashier to scan in, I ask for a bag and they give the bag usually after all the items are scanned in.

I then need to take out my wallet and put the card in the machine, wait for it to load, select laser, put in my pin. Meanwhile the dopey cashier is standing there looking at me waiting for me to finish with the machine, I take my card, insert back into wallet, insert wallet into pocket THEN I need to pack the items into the bag myself, much to the annoyance of myself and the people standing in the queue.

Could he not have packed it while waiting the 20 seconds for me to pay? Do some men just want to see the world burn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

If they did you'd be here complaining that they didn't do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just pack it yourself.
    Pay in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I only go as far as opening the bag out, most people go hysterical if you start packing the bag without asking them for permission !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

You should ask for a bag at the start next time and start packing it yourself as the person is scanning the items in.

Don't be such a lazy complainer.

why can't he make my dinner while he's just sitting there as well

• Advertisement

Eh you ask for the bag first, before they start scanning through the stuff. Pack the bags yourself you lazy git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I agree, this drives me nuts. The young ones in my local shop will stand there rolling their eyes and sighing while I try and pack up to move away from the till. Is the height of ignorance. I have started just saying 'could you help me with this please?' as the person behind me breathes down my neck.

It's just bad training and is only something that has happened in recent years, previously in shops you would always be helped to pack your bags.

Dunno what this means tho:
    Sykk wrote: »
    Do some men just want to see the world burn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Cashier not putting your items in the bag.
    So I've noticed this in a few places now. Mainly in a Tesco express I frequent but also in other shops.I

Noticed it myself recently in Spar, some staff just can't be arsed.

lastlaugh wrote: »
    You should ask for a bag at the start next time and start packing it yourself as the person is scanning the items in.

Don't be such a lazy complainer.

I have tried this, they will still produce the bag last.

Edit: The point is not packing your own bag, I have no problem doing this. The issue is the cashier will stand there doing nothing while you're trying to put your cash etc away and then you have to turn around then and pack the bag. All the while there is a queue of impatient people gathering behind you. It's wasting PRECIOUS SECONDS!! That's what annoys me. Also, it's just plain rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm pretty sure that in places like Spar and ESPECIALLY in Tesco (Express or not) the fact they will bother to bag your items for you is a courtesy to you and not an obligation!

Do it yourself!

• Advertisement

Have you tried saying "Give me a bag now"? It usually works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lifebag ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dan1895 wrote: »
    If they did you'd be here complaining that they didn't do it right.

or 'ill put my own shopping away thanks'

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Blinky D

Boycott an place that does not accept laser! Especially if there is no atm in the vicinity.
    Cash is the way of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

So I've noticed this in a few places now. Mainly in a Tesco express I frequent but also in other shops.

I have my few items, and leave them by the till for the cashier to scan in, I ask for a bag and they give the bag usually after all the items are scanned in.

I then need to take out my wallet and put the card in the machine, wait for it to load, select laser, put in my pin. Meanwhile the dopey cashier is standing there looking at me waiting for me to finish with the machine, I take my card, insert back into wallet, insert wallet into pocket THEN I need to pack the items into the bag myself, much to the annoyance of myself and the people standing in the queue.

Could he not have packed it while waiting the 20 seconds for me to pay? Do some men just want to see the world burn?

No he couldn't. He was having too much fun watching your expectations beng dashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

6 or 7 items and I would not expect help and be thinking GTFO if a customer expected it if I was a checkout attendant.

With a 'big shop' trolley full of groceries I would expect the checkout attendant to help me bag 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Bring a bag with you, I couldn't be arsed spending money on the Plastic Bag levy. Enough taxes to pay already, bah humbug ...

oh the cries of retail

None of you people have any idea what it's like to deal with REAL PROBLEMS.

I like to be SERVED god dammit!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

In Aldi they just make you pack your bag at a separate counter so that nobody has to wait for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I think it is common courtesy for the cashier to pack the bag. I used to work in a shop and I would always pack the customers bag. Firstly, they are paying for a bag so I think the least you can do is pack the bag for them so they are getting some "value" for money and secondly they will come back to the shop again.

Edit: The point is not packing your own bag, I have no problem doing this. The issue is the cashier will stand there doing nothing while you're trying to put your cash etc away and then you have to turn around then and pack the bag. All the while there is a queue of impatient people gathering behind you. It's wasting PRECIOUS SECONDS!! That's what annoys me. Also, it's just plain rude.

In Roches stores up until a few years ago they would have staff at the end of a check out just to help people pack away their shopping and put it in the trolley. This is a thing of the past.
    The only time you will get help like this in Tesco is if there are people looking for a hand out, which you are guilted into giving them.

If you feel like you are under pressure, next time just start packing your stuff up pretty slowly and ask the cashier would she mind giving you a hand.

Better still, bring your own bags, preferably one of those IKEA ones that you can fire everything into!

hardCopy wrote: »
    In Aldi they just make you pack your bag at a separate counter so that nobody has to wait for you.

thats german efficiency, hitler had the right idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

biko wrote: »
    Pay in cash.
    No, I prefer not carrying cash with me. Tbh I don't really care that much, it's more the people in the long queue behind me that have a longer wait because the staff can't be arsed going the extra mile.

No, I prefer not carrying cash with me. Tbh I don't really care that much, it's more the people in the long queue behind me that have a longer wait because the staff can't be arsed going the extra mile.

Don't you mean it's the people in the queue behind you who suffer because you can't be arsed carrying a little bit of cash in their pocket like a regular person and expect the staff of a shop to put your items in a bag for you!

You're probably peeved they don't carry it home for you too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

thats german efficiency, hitler had the right idea

They also make you wear a yellow star if you pay by Laser, and a red one for cash.

No, I prefer not carrying cash with me. Tbh I don't really care that much, it's more the people in the long queue behind me that have a longer wait because I can't be bothered packing away a few things myself the staff can't be arsed going the extra mile.

That's more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭jluv

Ah remember the days of Good ole Customer Service..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

would you like them to carry them to door aswell? use your head and ask for the bag first. you could also continue packing while card goes through.

numbnuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Worse are the old feckers at the checkouts who stand their while a mountain of groceries is stacked up on the conveyor-belt, and expect the person on the till to pack everything for them. This generally takes about 5 hours, including one hour for the old fecker to sort out a bag full of coupons that they've been collecting, and another hour to find the money or debit card.

Meanwhile people are dying of old age waiting behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

why not just bring a bag or ask for the bag FIRST and put them as he's scanning them? then you're packed and good to go by the time you've paid.

MrStuffins wrote: »

You're probably peeved they don't carry it home for you too!
    booboo88 wrote: »
    would you like them to carry them to door aswell?

numbnuts

I don't think he is being too unreasonable with his request TBH, he didn't mention anything about getting his groceries carried to his door.

When you spend well earned money in a shop, is it unreasonable to expect a proper service?

krudler wrote: »
    why not just bring a bag or ask for the bag FIRST and put them as he's scanning them? then you're packed and good to go by the time you've paid.

Well, by the OP's logic, the cashier should be bagging your stuff for you. So you should take your own bag out of your pocket and stuff it into the hand of the cashier so they can bag your items while you stand there and put your PIN No. into the machine because, you know, cash is SOOO 1990s!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Without giving too much away.
    Im a manager of a small convience store. And i have my staff told if the customer doesnt hand u a bag at the beginning,or ask for bag at beginning. then it is up to them personally if they wish to pack bags for customers.
    I will start to pack a bag for everyone but if they ask for smokes,credit or anything behind the counter etc,i leave bag to customer.

I guess it comes down to what ur used to.I would always pack my own bag if i was a customer cause i know staff who are crap at bag packing. but ill always pack for others.

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

krudler wrote: »

Get out of here with you common sense efficiency Mr Krudler. We don't need your types 'round here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

hardCopy wrote: »

those damn germans and their invisable bags :mad:

how the fcuk else do they get the shopping to another till without a bag :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Nothing as bad as firelighters just fcuked in with the bread. Do it yourself.

I don't think he is being too unreasonable with his request TBH, he didn't mention anything about getting his groceries carried to his door.

When you spend well earned money in a shop, is it unreasonable to expect a proper service?

You are getting proper service. The person behind the til is doing their job, scanning the items, taking your cash (well, not in this case) and giving you the bag you asked for.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

God some Irish can be so spitefull, sarcastic, and just horrible. The OP is right, there is nothing stopping the teller just doing this small courtesy. If people usually freak out at this as some people claim, then ASK.

Frequenting boards.ie makes me sick to be half-Irish at times. The sarcy unhelpful comments just turn my stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

You could have your card out of your wallet while they are scanning.

• Advertisement

Get out of here with you common sense efficiency Mr Krudler. We don't need your types 'round here.

dammit sorry, we're a nation of helpless crybabies now, i forgot, common sense went into recession as well.

Andy!! wrote: »
    God some Irish can be so spitefull, sarcastic, and just horrible. The OP is right, there is nothing stopping the teller just doing this small courtesy. If people usually freak out at this as some people claim, then ASK.

Frequenting boards.ie makes me sick to be half-Irish at times.

Nope, nothing stopping them, but there's no reason why the OP should expect it either, especially when they're holding up the queue in the first place by not just using cash!

Also, the Irish half you're missing is probably the half where the "craic" is kept!

You are getting proper service. The person behind the til is doing their job, scanning the items, taking your cash (well, not in this case) and giving you the bag you asked for.

Alright, proper service probably wasn't the best term to use but if the person packs your bag, you're getting better service than the shop that won't pack your bag for you. If your bag is packed for you, you may be more inclined to visit that shop again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

if you have only a few items they should pack it probably depending on how stuck up you act or how much of a tit they think you are.

Also if you are using cards for only a few items, they need time to think how much of a tit you are for doing that, and DOUBLING the hatred of the cue of customers behind you waiting for you to finish what would otherwise have taken you half the time

self service till ftw, you avoid people that way

Alright, proper service probably wasn't the best term to use but if the person packs your bag, you're getting better service than the shop that won't pack your bag for you. If your bag is packed for you, you may be more inclined to visit that shop again.

And if the person behind the counter gave me a reacharound i'd probably be more inclined to go back too, but that doesn't mean I should expect one when I visit my local Spar!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

especially when they're holding up the queue in the first place by not just using cash

Are we actually criticising the use of Lazer cards? I thought people were being sarcastic. I can understand wanting to strangle someone for taking out the card over a few euro (however I have been guilty of this :pac:) but for amounts of say €30 and up? Perfectly acceptable in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This forum is beginning to beggar belief.

Andy!! wrote: »
    Are we actually criticising the use of Lazer cards? I thought people were being sarcastic. I can understand wanting to strangle someone for taking out the card over a few euro (however I have been guilty of this :pac:) but for amounts of say €30 and up? Perfectly acceptable in my eyes.

Perfectly acceptable of course. Unless you insist on using your card for transactions no matter how small. The OP has said "I prefer not to carry cash with me".

But that's not the point. Pack your own bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Blinky D

The unrelenting acceptance of being treated like **** by others is rampant in this country. It start's with these little things, like a cashier staring at you with a look of utter confusion. The fact that he or she just handed you a bag and you haven't left yet clearly confounds them. Of course those waiting behind obligingly blame you. Obviously the inept idiot behind the till couldn't have done anything.

I have found that the small local shop's have found some mysterious way of finding a person with this insanely rare ability. To throw groceries into a bag while scanning them, they are truly exceptional. They should be the leaders of this country!

• Advertisement
Advertisement