Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cashier not putting your items in the bag

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Blinky D wrote: »
    The unrelenting acceptance of being treated like **** by others is rampant in this country. It start's with these little things, like a cashier staring at you with a look of utter confusion. The fact that he or she just handed you a bag and you haven't left yet clearly confounds them. Of course those waiting behind obligingly blame you. Obviously the inept idiot behind the till couldn't have done anything.

I have found that the small local shop's have found some mysterious way of finding a person with this insanely rare ability. To throw groceries into a bag while scanning them, they are truly exceptional. They should be the leaders of this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I don't care about my bags not being packed, but I'm never happy when I put my hand out and they put the damn change on the counter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I don't think he is being too unreasonable with his request TBH, he didn't mention anything about getting his groceries carried to his door.

When you spend well earned money in a shop, is it unreasonable to expect a proper service?

They HAVE offered him a proper service, i think you'll find the person working on a till is called a cashier, not bag packer.

Seriously by reading this thread i am now definately going to take my time packing and paying with laser and maybe even having a chat. Geez you guys need to chill out !

Reminds me of the soup nazi . Some old folks may need the time enjoy the chat unless your the president or your arse is on fire give them some time !

Seriously by reading this thread i am now definately going to take my time packing and paying with laser and maybe even having a chat. Geez you guys need to chill out !

Reminds me of the soup nazi . Some old folks may need the time enjoy the chat unless your the president or your arse is on fire give them some time !

I think you'll find the cashier doesn't want to chat either a lot of the time, or hear the publics oh so witty jokes on the lotto numbers or a loan of a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Blinky D

The only reason the laser would take a long time is because the store doesn't have a good machine. Store's fault not mine! Most times it's quicker than cash because you don't have an idiot trying to count up change, so they can leave you short a couple of euro. God knows it's my fault if they manage to rob a couple of euro too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

booboo88 wrote: »
    I think you'll find the cashier doesn't want to chat either a lot of the time, or hear the publics oh so witty jokes on the lotto numbers or a loan of a few bob.

I think that is a customers way of trying to be nice, something that is rare these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I think that you are expecting them to have initiative. This isn't something that automtically comes with all shop assistants. Just ask them to give you the bag first so that you can pack as the stuff is scanned.

Saying that, our local M&S have very helpful staff who always ask customers if they would like their bags packed...

The only reason the laser would take a long time is because the store doesn't have a good machine.

Or, like the OP, you'r eone of those people who places youritems on the belt... waits for service....... stands there and waits while the cashier scans all your items..... gives you the bag... tells you the price......... and THEN you go looking for your wallet and your card!
    Most times it's quicker than cash because you don't have an idiot trying to count up change, so they can leave you short a couple of euro. God knows it's my fault if they manage to rob a couple of euro too.

I used that Dr.Evil video too early!!

• Advertisement

Well thats a shame as it would be the only part of that job i enjoyed .also i had a few customers whom i was the only person they would talk to all day :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I don't care about my bags not being packed, but I'm never happy when I put my hand out and they put the damn change on the counter!

you got that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

St.Spodo wrote: »

They might inadvertently touch your hand.

I wouldn't want to touch strangers' hands. Some people do not wash their hands after having a poo. Other people have skin diseases that I do not want. Lots of people go through supermarket tills, so that's a lot of disease/muck potential.

Many people moan if they get their bags packed. Some people hate other people packing their stuff. Seems a good solution to let the customer pack their own stuff.

For people who don't know how to use a supermarket:
    1. bring your own bag.
    2. for lidl/aldi - shove everything into a trolley, pay and then get out of the way and pack your bags at leisure. For other shops, pack your bags as your shopping is being scanned.

How difficult is that?

I think that is a customers way of trying to be nice, something that is rare these days.
    Sadly it is, but a simple how are you is usually nice. As the lotto numbers joke gets old FAST
    Well thats a shame as it would be the only part of that job i enjoyed .also i had a few customers whom i was the only person they would talk to all day :( .

This upsets me as some old people are really lovely:( but then you get some mean fcukers aswell but same can be said for young ones too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

We also have a guy in our TESCO who talks about each item scanned. Example: "apples..apples...mmm crrrunchy and good for you!....chicken..mmm roast chicken and potatoes....washing up liquid...gotta get the dishes squeaky clean.....hello bananas...." I am a great believer in supported employment, but this all gets really uncomfortable. On a lighter note. his queue is always the shortest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Anything else I can do for you?"
    "huhrhuhr the winning lotto numbers ?"
    "how original, if I had those do you think I'd be sitting in a call centre dealing with people like you, you oxygen thieving simpleton"

really though cashiers/call centre workers and whoever else have heard those jokes a billion times before, if people want to be nice then just be polite, sh1tty one liners and jokes holding up the queue of people isnt being nice, or helping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

krudler wrote: »
    self service till ftw, you avoid people that way
    No that wouldn't work, she'd have to pack her own bag then.

Can't remember when I last saw bags being packed by a cashier. When shopping I put the items on the belt. As they're being scanned I bag them at about the same rate they're being scanned.
    Last item bagged, cashier gives total and gets paid, next customer. Hardly difficult to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Sadly it is, but a simple how are you is usually nice. As the lotto numbers joke gets old FAST

It does get old and I heard it a million times when I was working in the shop but I'd take it any day over someone grunting or being ignorant.

It does get old and I heard it a million times when I was working in the shop but I'd take it any day over someone grunting or being ignorant.

Everyone has their bad days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I feel weird if they pack the bag for me, and if they start to I say no, it's cool, I got that, thanks!

Actually I have my own bag, bag it as it gets scanned and have my laser out in a pocket. I like to get in and out. I like that you enjoy being treated like ****, but I still feel bad for others while the people in the queue are tapping their feet and the cashier has that idiotic face on. By all means you have every right to be treated like your less than human, just don't try to say I'm lazy because I want to be treated with respect.

Laser is only as fast as the machine. Takes me ten seconds max to insert the card, enter pin and remove. Also I have been short changed a lot, it gets tiring. Weather its malicious or accidentally done. Laser is better for me. Carrying cash is annoying. I have enough crap in my pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

I cant believe someone expects their bags to be packed for em... lik patrick2010 said... scan, bag it, scan, bag it...
    And to be fair, if someone else packed our bags all the time we'd do nothing but complain about the frozen food being packed with the toilet roll, and the shopping being piled on top of the bread and eggs.

I give up, clearly we are undeserving of being treated politely in any way. I expect all those pro kick the slow guy at the till to also be happy when treated like **** by others like stranger's on the side of the road to member's of the your govern... Oh that explain's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I used to work in a big clothes shop (the sort of clothes shop where people buy two or three huge bags worth of stuff) and we had to pack the bags. Everything had to be folded and the hangers removed etc. So, I would expect cashiers in clothes shops to pack stuff into bags, but I don't expect it in supermarkets for some reason. For one thing, the check-outs aren't usually built in way that lets them pack - the shopping slides down to the bit at the end that they can't reach...

annascott wrote: »
    We also have a guy in our TESCO who talks about each item scanned. Example: "apples..apples...mmm crrrunchy and good for you!....chicken..mmm roast chicken and potatoes....washing up liquid...gotta get the dishes squeaky clean.....hello bananas...." I am a great believer in supported employment, but this all gets really uncomfortable. On a lighter note. his queue is always the shortest..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

pack your own bag ya lazy oaf. :D

I give up, clearly we are undeserving of being treated politely in any way. I expect all those pro kick the slow guy at the till to also be happy when treated like **** by others like stranger's on the side of the road to member's of the your govern... Oh that explain's it.

The person behind the counter not packong your bag is NOT them being impolite! Nobody here has suggested the people behind the counter are being rude or impolite.

And as for the second part of that.......... what the hell are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The problem here is that does the shop till have a belt or not? Do they have a designated packing area? Lidl\Aldi\big supermarkets do but the small ones mostly do not.

Anyway, my local Tesco express has all human operated tills with no conveyor belts and no designated packing area. You bring your shopping in a basket, plonk it down in the designated space and the cashier scans the items. Bring your own bag yes, but the problem is that the cashier never removes the basket in order for you to pack your shopping into your bag. To top it off, there is no designated packing area in my tesco or and outside the shop area!.

Only option is to bend down to pack your bag and thats not on in most cases, its bloody awkward and delicate items can break.
    Some of the cashiers do help pack as they know its the only way to hurry the queue on, there is no alternative for them. Bad Tesco till area design is the core issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭ashes79

krudler wrote: »
    dammit sorry, we're a nation of helpless crybabies now, i forgot, common sense went into recession as well.

That's typical blame the recession! Bag packing in shops was completely normal before we all (supposedly) got rich & expected to be paid same wage to do half the job we did previously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't mind packing the bag myself but the thing that gets me is trying to open the plastic bag!
    I can never get it open and I panic and start to think about how I'm holding everyone up by not being able to just OPEN THE FÚCKIN BAG! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

I work in the local shop and a tesco recently opened down the road. We're not half as busy as we used to be and it's mostly old people coming in for a chat more than anything. We've actually gotten a lot of remarks about tesco not packing bags for people. I pack everyone's bag just because it is generally quicker and easier but it is just to be nice but now people expect it everywhere. It's not actually our job, it's just politeness and people didn't even notice it until they found out it wasn't the norm.

But yeah if somebody stands there expecting me to pack a bag after they've stared at me like a goldfish while I was scanning them through they can jog on. I'm not your skivvy. I purely mean that in a case where someone is capable of doing it and making it quicker for both of you but has a serious sense of entitlement.

Then there's people who like packing their own bags and I bloody love them :pac:

And then you have to be wary of being too helpful. Obviously I offer a hand bringing bags out to the car for people if there's a lot or if it's a bit heavy or if they're old. The majority of the time they appreciate the offer but some can get indignant if you think they're incapable of carrying it out themselves.

So you can see why some cashiers just take a back seat from the whole bag dilemma :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

It's not actually our job

Yes it is!

If I buy anything in any other kind of shop and get asked would I like a bag for it they put it in the bag if you don’t put it in the bag for me I may as well be using the self service machines and I hate the self service machines in supermarkets these days. I mean do I get the goods cheaper if I scan and pack it myself? No. So why the hell should I? I never use them. In my opinion you are taking a job from someone if you are using them. It’s no faster really for the customer just saves the company money on employing staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

The worst are the people that just stare at you while you're scanning the stuff through and then they pay and then they say ohhh can I have a bag?
    If you ask people if they want a bag some people ask you is it free? and then laugh in your face when you say no, or say as if or something. It's not my fault it isn't free, I was just trying to be helpful asking you did you want a bag? It is usually best to ask people if they want a bag because if they say yes then I pack everything in as I scan it through as opposed to scanning it all through, them paying, staring at there items, then asking you for a bag, having to pay for the bag. You get a lot of negative reactions to asking people if they want a bag though as well so I don't always ask. If people want a bag they should ask for one at the beginning.
    I pack everybody's bags if they buy a bag because where I work there's not much counter space so it's the best way to work it. If people have their own bag I wouldn't ever really pack it for them unless they have a big trolley of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Give goods to cashier (either on conveyor belt/counter/whatever)
    • Open rucksack/own bag/ bag bought from shop
    • Start packing items as soon as they're scanned
    • Stop when asked for money and hand over the cash
    • Finish packing while cashier is getting change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

IMO the cashier picks up the item. Scans it. Puts it in bag. That way its less confusing as to what is scanned and what isn't, its done in the same motion too. Streamlined.

Putting it down after scanning it is just spiteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

biko wrote: »
    Just pack it yourself.
    Pay in cash.

I wish I could thank this post more!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you ask people if they want a bag some people ask you is it free? and then laugh in your face when you say no, or say as if or something. It's not my fault it isn't free

This is the kind of ignorant cnut I hate. It's nothing to do with the cashier (who couldnt care less if you took a fcuking
    bag or not) that the bag isn't free. ITS A GOVERNMENT LEVY YOU FCUKTARD!!! Next time instantly ask them if they would like to speak to a manager about the 22c charge, failing that they might get satisfaction by writing the minister for the enviromnent. These saddo bullies who only attack low paid floor staff need to be shut down and put in their box, dont take any abuse from these pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

annascott wrote: »

What does he say if you're buying tampons:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

as the larger supermarkets move into self service tills, then you will not have any choice but to pack your own bag,just get used to the idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hate people who have to fumble around looking for their bank card. Have it ready to scan in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Years ago before shops scanned everything, they used a cash register to tally up your shopping
    And they would employ someone to pack your shopping.

So go to the checkout in the supermarket and there would be two people waiting to serve you

That's long gone now, haven't seen that since the early nineties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Next time make them wait until you finish packing and they might get the hint.

One thing that bugs me is the woman (usually) who has a full basket after being scanned through and have packed it all into a bag(s) and then they decide to have a root through their bag for their wallet/purse and then they have to root through the 5000 reciepts stuffed in the wallet/purse for €50 note but they have change in their too so they start counting out cents and 2cent coins but after a while cop on that they dont have enough and say just to take it out of the note.....Aaarrrrghhhhh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I walk to the shops and back, so I insist on packing my own bags just so everything gets back in one piece. Leave it to someone else, your croissants will end up under your kilo of frozen peas and dozen cans of baked beans, and come out as weirdly-shaped pancakes. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

FFS, do you people really expect cashiers to pack your bags for you? What did your last butler die of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

bnt wrote: »
    I walk to the shops and back, so I insist on packing my own bags just so everything gets back in one piece. Leave it to someone else, your croissants will end up under your kilo of frozen peas and dozen cans of baked beans, and come out as weirdly-shaped pancakes. :o

Exact same reason I do the same. Gets even worse when they have some kids 'bagging for charity' or whatever..... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

FFS, do you people really expect cashiers to pack your bags for you? What did your last butler die of?

He slipped on the monocle that fell from my eye when he told me I had to pack my own bag and broke his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

I think bag packing went out the window when the bag levy came in. the bags were at the till, the cashier grabs a bag and helps to pack, whers now you ask a customer to hand you over one of their bags.

A lot of people don't want any help packing (really annoying if they have a huge shop) so your sat there twiddling your thumbs. = lots of people in the queue muttering and thinking lazy b1tch! ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's been a while since I went shopping in Ireland but there's no thumb-twiddling here. There's a divider in the post-scanning area and after one customer's stuff is put in there the cashier begins straight away on the next customer, putting the items in the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Sykk wrote: »
    So I've noticed this in a few places now. Mainly in a Tesco express I frequent but also in other shops.

I have my few items, and leave them by the till for the cashier to scan in, I ask for a bag and they give the bag usually after all the items are scanned in.

I then need to take out my wallet and put the card in the machine, wait for it to load, select laser, put in my pin. Meanwhile the dopey cashier is standing there looking at me waiting for me to finish with the machine, I take my card, insert back into wallet, insert wallet into pocket THEN I need to pack the items into the bag myself, much to the annoyance of myself and the people standing in the queue.

Could he not have packed it while waiting the 20 seconds for me to pay? Do some men just want to see the world burn?

You need to ask for the bag before they finish scanning the items sweetheart.

Advertisement