Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refused a bank account because you're on the dole?

• 06-03-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Have you ever been refused to open a bank account with anyone for reasons such as not working or being on the dole?

I was refused this with Permanent tsb. the woman said ''are you working?'' I reply ''no'' and then they say ''well you cant have a bank account with us then''.

Is there a reason for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

It was because you aren't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

What about mature students?
    Seems a bit silly, how can any bills be paid if you've no account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably shouldn't smoke Players, inside the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Try Ulster Bank, The "Irish" in the banks name should have alerted you to possible ignorance and snobbishness.

Shot myself in the foot with that post, DUH ! Didn't realise they changed name due to a merger.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

It was because you aren't working.

You're a very witty and funny person, congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Is that the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

it was probably because you went in with your tracksuit bottoms tucked into your socks. rookie mistake. and they just gave you the excuse of not having a job as the reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Remember being told I needed a job to open an account with Ulster Bank - even though I was transfering a wedge of cash from AIB.

It didn't matter 'cos I was starting a new job within a few days anyway....they wanted a photocopy of my contract and all.

It's because, I think, banks no longer want to allow you to open a simple deposit/saving account. They want to sell you credit.....or did up to recently. Now they just want to pay nothing on your savings and give loans to couples who are both in the public sector and whose ancestors have been in the Irish public sector for at least 3 generations.

I'v three bank accounts and I'm on the dole, I only opened an Ulster Bank account recently as AIB were to start charging me quarterly fees, Haven't used my BoI account in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Remember being told I needed a job to open an account with Ulster Bank - even though I was transfering a wedge of cash from AIB.

It didn't matter 'cos I was starting a new job within a few days anyway....they wanted a photocopy of my contract and all.

It's because, I think, banks no longer want to allow you to open a simple deposit/saving account. They want to sell you credit.....or did up to recently. Now they just want to pay nothing on your savings and give loans to couples who are both in the public sector and whose ancestors have been in the Irish public sector for at least 3 generations.
    They can feck right off, I was never asked for that,just where was I working, although they did refuse to give me a laser card:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

Have you ever been refused to open a bank account with anyone for reasons such as not working or being on the dole?

I was refused this with Permanent tsb. the woman said ''are you working?'' I reply ''no'' and then they say ''well you cant have a bank account with us then''.

Bank of ireland shoul,nt be the same.....

but if you have any trouble do a FAS course full time for a few weeks and get the account for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Well then. When I ever win the lotto I'll stroll right back in. Can I open a bank account? ''Are you working?'' I again reply ''No'' ''ah sorry if your not working we cant give you one''.

Me: ah thats ok I was about to say I won the lotto but sure since I'm not working I cant open one with you guys such a shame.

Ya really suffer being poor in this country. BOI will take anyone to be honest though which is great in my books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

When I was only going to secondary school every fooking bank was dieing to sign me up.

Now they want all sorts of paperwork I don't have, they want to know why I'm opening an account and when I've that all done they say "We'll send you details of your account in the post", which never shows up

also you need a utility bill to get a bank account now and no utility will sign you up without a bank account. when I was in England I simply couldn't get a bank account for this reason. I'd have to persuade someone to change a utility bill to my name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Were you wearing pyjamas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I never heard of that before, a strange policy, they have to assume you wont always be unemployed, isn't this why they go mad to get students to open bank accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Are they allowed to do this? Surely its discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

booboo88 wrote: »
    although they did refuse to give me a laser card:rolleyes:

They did you a favour
    Laser cards are ****e

Visa debit is where it's at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Since when do you need a job to get a bank account? :confused:

When I started college the banks were begging me to join, well by begging I mean they gave lots of free stuff like mobile phone vouchers, newspapers and other stuff

They did you a favour
    Laser cards are ****e

Do BOI even give out visa debit cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well then. When I ever win the lotto I'll stroll right back in. Can I open a bank account? ''Are you working?'' I again reply ''No'' ''ah sorry if your not working we cant give you one''.

Was it a specific type of bank account that you were trying to open? Their Switch current account for example requires that you have a salary coming into it in order to avail of free fees.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Was it a specific type of bank account that you were trying to open? Their Switch current account for example requires that you have a salary coming into it in order to avail of free fees.

I never even got as far as telling them what kind of account. Just an ordinary debit account where you lodge money and use it etc etc

They did you a favour
    Laser cards are ****e

Back in 2008 they weren't:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Do BOI even give out visa debit cards?

Both AIB & BOI are planning to adopt them in the future.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Both AIB & BOI are planning to adopt them in the future.

I really hope so. cant buy nothing on the internet with these laser ( buy in your own country ) cards. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was instantly refused a small personal loan by Permanent TSB recently because I could not provide three years worth of P60s and wasn't earning above €30,000 a year.

Been working in the same job since July 2010 and have had my pay going into that account every month, but they still instantly rejected it without even asking me how much I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

bfocusd wrote: »
    What about mature students?
    Seems a bit silly, how can any bills be paid if you've no account?

Tell your bank manager he's dropped his gay card or something which should convince him you're an Immature student. Then you'll be grand so :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

people on the dole shouldnt have a bank account, If you have enough money to save then you should give it back to the government. You dont need to have a laser card as food shops accept cash. You dont need direct debits as you can pay your esb and gas in cash at the post office, and you dont need sky/upc on the dole. I fail to see any reason somebody on the dole would need a bank account.

people on the dole shouldnt have a bank account, If you have enough money to save then you should give it back to the government. You dont need to have a laser card as food shops accept cash. You dont need direct debits as you can pay your esb and gas in cash at the post office, and you dont need sky/upc on the dole. I fail to see any reason somebody on the dole would need a bank account.

Rubbish...

charlemont wrote: »
    Rubbish...

please explain how

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

please explain how

If he had to go on holidays it would be paid in and he would not be short the second week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

This is some kind of pisstake right? You don't think someone "needs" to have a direct debit to pay ESB/gas bills and the like. UPC is also used for telephone and internet.

Frankly, what the hell business is it of yours if someone (on the dole or otherwise) has direct debits? Or pays for their food with a a Laser card? This is probably among the most retarded things I've read on boards, and by god that takes some doing!

Finally about "anyone who can save should have to return that money to the government" yeah that sure sounds like a way to get people to act responsibly. God forbid anyone on unemployment should save a few euros to pay for education/retraining or emigration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I'd actually say it should be the other extreme. The dole should be automatically lodged in a "special" type of account with one of the state-owned banks, with a limited petty cash withdrawal allowed (say €20 per week for sundries) and any other cash withdrawals having to be vouched or made by card.
    Cut out the spending on Paddy Power, etc.

Dole should be for essentials, not to fund a lifestyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

If you don't set up a direct debit for esb or airtricity, you've to pay a 300euro deposit.
    Where do you suggest people on welfare pull that out of?

alwaysadub wrote: »
    If you don't set up a direct debit for esb or airtricity, you've to pay a 300euro deposit.

They usually go to cwo to get a bond:rolleyes:

If he had to go on holidays it would be paid in and he would not be short the second week.

if you can afford holidays on the dole, your getting too much

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'd actually say it should be the other extreme. The dole should be automatically lodged in a "special" type of account with one of the state-owned banks, with a limited petty cash withdrawal allowed (say €20 per week for sundries) and any other cash withdrawals having to be vouched or made by card.
    Cut out the spending on Paddy Power, etc.

Dole should be for essentials, not to fund a lifestyle

ive already suggested this on multiple occasions, too much dole money is going to drug dealers, for un-necessary things like holidays, cars, TV, and being saved. The dole should just be there for surviving, not buying you dont need like cigarettes or alcohol either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I was instantly refused a small personal loan by Permanent TSB recently because I could not provide three years worth of P60s and wasn't earning above €30,000 a year.

Been working in the same job since July 2010 and have had my pay going into that account every month, but they still instantly rejected it without even asking me how much I wanted.

Oddly enough I got nearly the same treatment. On a base of 29,800 I was turned down. I had already grossed five grand over this four months in and had a clear track record of 36K plus gross a year plus proven loans with them in the past. I told them to stuff it and changed banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It would work out cheaper for the goverment if people on dole were to pay esb,gas,bins by direct debit as in most case's the companie's charge less if payed by direct,less paperwork than paying at a payzone in your local shop.
    Also with direct debit the companie get's its money the same day,where with payzone it can take up to five working days for the companie to recive payment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I got an account with TSB when i was on the dole. It was in 2007 though.

alwaysadub wrote: »

Exactly. Same for car insurance, If idiots hadn't voted this country into the state its in then we wouldn't need their tax money for our dole.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

What if you would rather not carry cash in case it was lost or stolen? If it was on laser you're safer.

ESB et al you don't have to pay deposit if you pay via DD.

You're being a dick clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

people on the dole shouldnt have a bank account, If you have enough money to save then you should give it back to the government.

I suppose you'd give a spare tenner or so back to the government if you happened upon hard times and had to claim back some of the money you paid in taxes over the years by going on the dole....

You would in your hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

well i got a bank account with TSB while i was on the dole
    but i was refused a laser card :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I wont expect too many more responses form people on the dole until around 11am tomorrow as they are all probably stoned drunk and tucking into a curry snack box for the rest of the night. Good night comerads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

people on the dole shouldnt have a bank account, .... I fail to see any reason somebody on the dole would need a bank account.

So you'ld support closing a mortgage account as soon as a person gets their p45 then?

there'd be a rush in the morning for people to feic their bosses out of it so....

maybe a person out of work might have savings for a rainy day...?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

They refused to reactivate an inactive current account of mine because they ran a credit check and found that I had missed a few payments on a credit card from another bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It is simple.

On the dole you are unlikely to be putting a large amount of money through your account and not likely to qualify for loans and other services that the banks make money from.

Hence as a person on the dole you will cost the bank money instead of making them money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It is simple.

On the dole you are unlikely to be putting a large amount of money through your account and not likely to qualify for loans and other services that the banks make money from.

Hence as a person on the dole you will cost the bank money instead of making them money.

That's a pretty short-term way of looking at things though; I mean, today's dolite may become tomorrow's Mark Zuckerberg!

Surely the banks shouldn't assume that every unemployed customer will never find work in the future...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Surely the banks shouldn't assume that every unemployed customer will never find work in the future...

i think they need to go on he information they have not guess

people on the dole shouldnt have a bank account, .... I fail to see any reason somebody on the dole would need a bank account.

So you'ld support closing a mortgage account as soon as a person gets their p45 then?

there'd be a rush in the morning for people to feic their bosses out of it so....

maybe a person out of work might have savings for a rainy day...?

If they were working theyd have a bank account before they were unemployed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement