Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refused a bank account because you're on the dole?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

They wouldn't give me a credit card on the dole but had no problem doing so when I went back to college and had more expenses. Not sure how they come up with it.
    I'm getting a little annoyed though, lately when I phone up about anything I'm asked if I'd like to open a deposit account with a minimum deposit of 20k or something. They could do with some fresh scripting for their datamining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If they were working theyd have a bank account before they were unemployed.

They'd still have the account when they were unemployed. Do you close it or have you not thought this through?

How do you cash a crossed cheque refunding paye tax without a bank account?

see any reasons a person on the dole would need an A/c now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

You should just tell them you're unemployed but you just won ?????K on the euro millions,, they'll **** themselves

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭me m

open a joint account with someone. maybe a family member etc and just use it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

BOI wouldn't let me open an account back in the daywhen I was on the dole. They said that I needed a letter from my employer and since I was unemployed,and oviously didn't have an employer, they said it was a catch 22 and nothing could be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

BOI wouldn't let me open an account back in the daywhen I was on the dole. They said that I needed a letter from my employer and since I was unemployed,and oviously didn't have an employer, they said it was a catch 22 and nothing could be done.

The cheek of them. The average joe bails these banks out and then they refuse an account to the same person? Any bank with that attitude wouldn't get my business and deserves what they get.

Go elsewhere. I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find a bank that wants your custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Go elsewhere, awful cheek tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

I think the reason why banks are not willing to open up accounts for people on the social is because how will they make money, from your money, knowing you hardly got money.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'd actually say it should be the other extreme. The dole should be automatically lodged in a "special" type of account with one of the state-owned banks, with a limited petty cash withdrawal allowed (say €20 per week for sundries) and any other cash withdrawals having to be vouched or made by card.
    Cut out the spending on Paddy Power, etc.

Dole should be for essentials, not to fund a lifestyle

I agree. The style of life should be severely curtailed if you're on the dole.

Though then again -

(considering that there's a 'neighbour' family of two and a half, taking close to €600 a week out of the 'system' near me. He pre-xmas redundant on stat. redundancy after 7 years in a job ... now doing nixers as an electrical machanic (cars) regularly, she works in a local butchers for minimum-ish into the hand for nearly ten years, with all their bills paid for by the dole too)

- we all know it's not going to be curtailed.

PAYE workers are supporting them and will pay for their boasted Austrian ski holiday at end of this march and no-one at the top gives a sh* t enough to stop it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

people on the dole shouldnt have a bank account, If you have enough money to save then you should give it back to the government. You dont need to have a laser card as food shops accept cash. You dont need direct debits as you can pay your esb and gas in cash at the post office, and you dont need sky/upc on the dole. I fail to see any reason somebody on the dole would need a bank account.

:D:D Troll Troll Trolll :D:D

Don't Rabo direct let anyone open bank a/c's, job or not? You can open it online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

DonQuay1 wrote: »

Though then again -

(considering that there's a 'neighbour' family of two and a half, taking close to €600 a week out of the 'system' near me. He pre-xmas redundant on stat. redundancy after 7 years in a job ... now doing nixers as an electrical machanic (cars) regularly, she works in a local butchers for minimum-ish into the hand for nearly ten years, with all their bills paid for by the dole too)

PAYE workers are supporting them and will pay for their boasted Austrian ski holiday at end of this march and no-one at the top gives a sh* t enough to stop it!!
    Don't you have anything better to be doing than spying on the neighbour's life, O I see you what to dictate their life aswell.

Cry me a river won't ya

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Kirby wrote: »
    The cheek of them. The average joe bails these banks out and then they refuse an account to the same person? Any bank with that attitude wouldn't get my business and deserves what they get.

Go elsewhere. I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find a bank that wants your custom.

the average tax payer.. not average joe

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Though then again -

report the fraud or stop complaining... people call politicians corrupt... yet theres 1000s cheating the state daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Have you ever been refused to open a bank account with anyone for reasons such as not working or being on the dole?

I was refused this with Permanent tsb. the woman said ''are you working?'' I reply ''no'' and then they say ''well you cant have a bank account with us then''.

Is there a reason for this?

A bit of dodgey jammas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jerry Jordan

i remember years ago when i got my first job going to bank of ireland to open a bank account. being told i needed to make an appointment. then going back 3 days later waiting over an hour for my appointment only to be told because i had no history of having a bank account they wouldnt give me one. I was only 19 at the time i nearly died. I went to AIB and they opened my account with no problems whatsover. I often think now that I own my house thankfully one not in neg equity. and i have a healthy chunk of savings too with AIB, that BOI were idiots to loose out on a good customer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

people on the dole shouldnt have a bank account, If you have enough money to save then you should give it back to the government. You dont need to have a laser card as food shops accept cash. You dont need direct debits as you can pay your esb and gas in cash at the post office, and you dont need sky/upc on the dole. I fail to see any reason somebody on the dole would need a bank account.
    Oh dear God..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The bank in question wont make any profit from your account is my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

This is all madness

Banks do everything they can to get new accounts in the first week of college.
    Some statistic of how people tend to stay with their bank for life.
    And todays students is next decades house-buyers with a decent job

But a person on the dole could well be pulling in more money every week then a student.
    And people on the dole will get back working at some stage.
    Seems short sighted to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There's one good thing about a recession and that is you get to see who the nasty little right-wing <unts are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

personally I'd report them, but that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Though then again -

You don't seem to give enough of a **** either - report them if you want something done, how the hell are 'the top' supposed to know about every single person doing a cash in hand job somewhere.

If you really care about it that much, report him for doing nixers, her for working while claiming, and the butchers for dodging tax and PRSI. If you don't, stop fu<king complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

first of all RA is paid into your bank ac...they stopped doing cheques years ago cos the Postmen were getting mugged alot.

a bank ac is necessary when you apply for the dole cos they need to check your bank statements during the means test.

also paying bills such as esb is cheaper via direct debit cos esb dont charge you the €300 deposit if you pay via direct debit.

internship programmes require you to have a bank ac in order to get paid your social welfare.

OP write a letter to the financial regulator with the name of the bank teller and branch of bank that refused you a bank ac based on discrimination.... also send a copy of that to the onbudsman.

you may be unemployed but your still indirectly bailing out those banks on every item you purchace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Why would people at the top know that your neighbour is a dole cheat? There are no psychics in Government.

Heres a little BUTTON that will help quell your anger.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Well then. When I ever win the lotto I'll stroll right back in. Can I open a bank account? ''Are you working?'' I again reply ''No'' ''ah sorry if your not working we cant give you one''.

Me: ah thats ok I was about to say I won the lotto but sure since I'm not working I cant open one with you guys such a shame.

Ya really suffer being poor in this country. BOI will take anyone to be honest though which is great in my books.

Good Luck with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

They did you a favour
    Laser cards are ****e

Visa debit is where it's at
    booboo88 wrote: »
    Back in 2008 they weren't:rolleyes:

In 08 If you had a Halifax a/c they were ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I wonder how many people are out of work because of banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

kuro2k wrote: »
    In 08 If you had a Halifax a/c they were ;)

ahem

Remember being told I needed a job to open an account with Ulster Bank - even though I was transfering a wedge of cash from AIB.

It didn't matter 'cos I was starting a new job within a few days anyway....they wanted a photocopy of my contract and all.

It's because, I think, banks no longer want to allow you to open a simple deposit/saving account. They want to sell you credit.....or did up to recently. Now they just want to pay nothing on your savings and give loans to couples who are both in the public sector and whose ancestors have been in the Irish public sector for at least 3 generations.
    They can feck right off, I was never asked for that,just where was I working, although they did refuse to give me a laser card:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Treanor2011

Sure what difference would it make to u there are plenty of things People need bank accounts for .( Modern times ) deal with it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I went in to Ulster Bank on O'Connell St a few years back because AIB made me use online banking while I was standing in a branch (Dun Laoghaire), because they were too lazy to carry out my request. I was determined to change banks.

I went in and asked the lady who looked like she was getting ready to go home, if i could open an account. she asked me a bunch of personal questions, without writing down the answers, then told me I can't have an account because I wasn't suitable.I thought this strange as I was working with a fair bit of dough in the current account ready to transfer.

The fact of the matter is that bank staff are lazy, don't want to fill in the forms, and don't get in trouble for annoying customers with less than 100,000euro in their accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Spacedog wrote: »
    I went in to Ulster Bank on O'Connell St a few years back because AIB made me use online banking while I was standing in a branch (Dun Laoghaire), because they were too lazy to carry out my request. I was determined to change banks.

dont worry you'll soon feel better as 2500 aib staff are getting laid off... that will teach then for being lazy.

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'd actually say it should be the other extreme. The dole should be automatically lodged in a "special" type of account with one of the state-owned banks, with a limited petty cash withdrawal allowed (say €20 per week for sundries) and any other cash withdrawals having to be vouched or made by card.
    Cut out the spending on Paddy Power, etc.

Dole should be for essentials, not to fund a lifestyle

ive already suggested this on multiple occasions, too much dole money is going to drug dealers, for un-necessary things like holidays, cars, TV, and being saved. The dole should just be there for surviving, not buying you dont need like cigarettes or alcohol either
    The dole is not the wonderful life you imagine it to be .if someone on the dole is going on holidays it has more then likely been paid for by a loan or they have saved a couple of euros a week for a year and yes it is possible for people to be on the dole for a year there are a lot more people then jobs in Ireland in case your head was so far up your behind to notice. The both of you should quit your jobs and get the dole sure wont yee be livin the life then sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The dole is not the wonderful life you imagine it to be .if someone on the dole is going on holidays it has more then likely been paid for by a loan or they have saved a couple of euros a week for a year and yes it is possible for people to be on the dole for a year there are a lot more people then jobs in Ireland in case your head was so far up your behind to notice. The both of you should quit your jobs and get the dole sure wont yee be livin the life then sigh

people on the dole shouldnt be able to do either of the things ive highlighted in bold. This is why the countries f*cked

Sure what difference would it make to u there are plenty of things People need bank accounts for .( Modern times ) deal with it !

Im concerned where my tax money goes. Considering im subsidising the lifestyles of these spongers , I think I have a right to tell them what to do with my money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

charlemont wrote: »
    Rubbish...

yes you can pay your refuse charges from the Bank or online I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

if someone on the dole is going on holidays

what do they do? Go to work for two weeks? :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I opened an account with Ulster back in 2009 and they couldn't accommodate me fast enough.

I was working but they never asked for proof of employment or anything like that, so they had no way of knowing if I really had a job or not. Just my drivers license and passport and that was it - no utility bills either. A rather nice looking blond girl even filled in my application to speed it along.

I think it might depend on who is sitting behind the desk at the time you walk in tbh.

people on the dole shouldnt be able to do either of the things ive highlighted in bold. This is why the countries f*cked
    The country is not fcuked because of people on the dole it's fcuked because of people with too much money and greed .

The country is not fcuked because of people on the dole it's fcuked because of people with too much money and greed .

its not, and never will be rich peoples fault that the economy sours. It was a mixture of the mismanagement of the banks which should have been allowed to fail, and people who are now on the dole borrowing beyond their means.

Im concerned where my tax money goes. Considering im subsidising the lifestyles of these spongers , I think I have a right to tell them what to do with my money
    A lot more people on the dole have paid taxes and had jobs all there lives then you think. There will always be a few that will be spongers but not everyone is.be glad the dole is there because if you have a family and lose your job you will get a rude awakening .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

AFAIK all you needed for a bank account was utility bill, proof of address, and photo id?
    (I wore pyjamas once to Tesco and they still served me)

A lot more people on the dole have paid taxes and had jobs all there lives then you think. There will always be a few that will be spongers but not everyone is.be glad the dole is there because if you have a family and lose your job you will get a rude awakening .

I have no problem with people who worked and needed the dole, but even if I ended up on the dole tomorrow , I wouldnt spend a penny of it on drink, smokes, holidays, tv's , sky, UPC, drugs, furniture or anything else not essential. Nobody should be spending welfare money on any of those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But you're also saying no-one should save money. So what exactly are they supposed to do with it? I'm one of the biggest critics of Ireland's overly generous social welfare system but most of what you're saying is just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

eth0 wrote: »
    When I was only going to secondary school every fooking bank was dieing to sign me up.

Heh, I have 3 bank accounts, 2 from school. No ID, no utility bill and they even gave me a bouncy ball when I signed up.

Things do get worse when you're older.

Stark wrote: »
    But you're also saying no-one should save money. So what exactly are they supposed to do with it? I'm one of the biggest critics of Ireland's overly generous social welfare system but most of what you're saying is just ridiculous.

how so, If you have too much dole (a situation that should never arise) after buying food and the essentials, then go back to the dole office and say , hey , this week i didnt need this extra 20 euro , have it back .

If enough people on the dole started doing that and were generous about it, there would be more money to help the most needy in our society, and we could get an accurate measurement of how much welfare is actually needed to survive in ireland.

its not, and never will be rich peoples fault that the economy sours. It was a mixture of the mismanagement of the banks which should have been allowed to fail, and people who are now on the dole borrowing beyond their means.
    . Mismanagement because there were to busy coming up with as many ways to suck the county as dry as possible .the amount of money givin to people on the dole is spare change to them .yes there were people borrowing to much but there are people who were sensible who have ended up iosing jobs that have familys and are just trying to get on with life .things happen you have no control over in life .

• Advertisement

I have no problem with people who worked and needed the dole, but even if I ended up on the dole tomorrow , I wouldnt spend a penny of it on drink, smokes, holidays, tv's , sky, UPC, drugs, furniture or anything else not essential. Nobody should be spending welfare money on any of those things. You seem to be forgetting the amount of tax on these thing by people spending money on whatever they are spending dole money on they are actually putting money back into the economy . It like if someone works in a shop and when they finsh work they get there shopping there it may only be a little help to the shop staying open but it is helping. As long as it is kept in the country as much as possible then it is a little help in keeping another business open.

Stark wrote: »

how so, If you have too much dole (a situation that should never arise) after buying food and the essentials, then go back to the dole office and say , hey , this week i didnt need this extra 20 euro , have it back .

If enough people on the dole started doing that and were generous about it, there would be more money to help the most needy in our society, and we could get an accurate measurement of how much welfare is actually needed to survive in ireland.
    Life is not as simple as that .there are unforeseen expenses for most people and it's not partying or anything like it.

Advertisement