Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back on the horse.....

• 06-03-2012 6:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi everyone,few questions from someone getting back onto a bike after 7 years off.
    1:IBT does any know of a school that will do the full IBT 1 on 1 in Dublin for less than 450 eur? I've been looking and so far haven't seen one(M50 school looking for 720Eur, me A&SE!)And any one do the Ins. assesment for less than 150,got a quote and with a level 4 one works out pretty much a saving of 140/150:confused:

2:Anyone know who's the cheapest company for insurance?

2:I know you need protective gear, but are you really required to have jacket,boots gloves etc? That'll cost a bloody fortune! I understood a lid and a hi-vis is the legal minimum?(though I'm not that thick to ride without at least a decent jacket/gloves, had road rash before ain't pretty or comfortable!)

3: Any lads there currently working as a courier in Dublin? I'm thinking of getting into it (despite being warned off it a few times, I need money and as the name suggests I'm getting outta here come hell or high water.Actually looking at the news/out the window,both seem to come together!) as it's constantly in the sits vacant in the herald.Any reputable company's to approach/bogeys to avoid? What sort of rates per drop could I expect/average drops per hour/week? Would it be worth the trouble doing it on a moped? Would I need extra/special insurance for it?

Would love to hear yis'sr thoughts on these (especially from couriers) Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Got my IBT in cork for around 500, included an assessment, well worth it, 35% off insurance. the way i see it is it pays for itself after 2-3 years of insurance premiums with the discount.

when i first started (recently) i had just a jacket, helmet and gloves, wore my jeans and runners riding, after a few weeks i got boots and pants and the difference is crazy, confidence in bends and corners, ease of riding not worrying about skinnin yourself if you take a hopper, feel much more comfortable riding with them on. Bought a pair of kevlars with pads for the hot days and just going to town, even with them i feel more at ease in the pants god forbid something should happen so well worth the extra few bob.

I will say is that i thought biking was gonna be cheaper than a car, (after i got rid of my car to get a bike) and christ alive and mary on the handlebars i was wrong. $$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Best bet for insurance as much as I hate to say it was Quinn now Liberty (hopefully things will change).Aon or Carroll and Nash may not give you a quote depending on the bike your getting and if they do it's usually high,best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Watch out for Lidl bike gear which should be coming up soon (Aldi had some bits last week). While I wouldn't use their helmets, I have worn their jacket and still wear Lidl cordura trousers. They're fairly decently priced, especially for a beginner.

Gloves can be hit or miss with Aldi/Lidl - they tend to be lined (winter type) which makes them bulky for spring/summer wear. But again, for the price, they'll get you on the road with a bit of protection.

And yes, you're right - legally you are only required to wear a helmet, and a hi-vis learner vest if you're on a learner permit. All other gear is optional (but a darn good idea!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

Got my IBT in cork for around 500, included an assessment, well worth it, 35% off insurance. the way i see it is it pays for itself after 2-3 years of insurance premiums with the discount.

when i first started (recently) i had just a jacket, helmet and gloves, wore my jeans and runners riding, after a few weeks i got boots and pants and the difference is crazy, confidence in bends and corners, ease of riding not worrying about skinnin yourself if you take a hopper, feel much more comfortable riding with them on. Bought a pair of kevlars with pads for the hot days and just going to town, even with them i feel more at ease in the pants god forbid something should happen so well worth the extra few bob.

I will say is that i thought biking was gonna be cheaper than a car, (after i got rid of my car to get a bike) and christ alive and mary on the handlebars i was wrong. $$$$$

it depends on wat age u are startin off to get a car insurance for me 2300 on a bike its only 800 cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

yeah thats true, for me being 21 and my first bike itll pay for itself after a few years of premiums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement