Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cider sweetning

Options
  • 06-03-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

hi all .cider novice here.in the process of bottling my first batch. is there anything i can do to sweeten it (quiet acidic) prior to bottling ?have more to do(40 tree orchard) as i have last years crop frozen.any advice appreciated ta:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Check out the other cider thread in the forum. There's a debate about it.

Splenda seems to be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

ta 4 that.not to be too scientific about it just looking for a what and when. have lots of apples so i can experiment.just not sure what i need to add and at what stage.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I did a bit of reading about this last night. If you're happy enough with sweeteners, splenda seems to be the thing. Otherwise cold conditioning + sugar seems to be ok, once you're careful to drink it within a few months (to prevent bottle bombs). Personally I'm going the splenda route. Tastes grand. Zero calories. Less / zero risk of a bottle bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Do you need special apples for cider?

My folks have a couple of apple trees - i think they are those minging cooking apples though

Cooking apples have their place in cider AFAIK. You'd want to balance their tartness with plenty of dessert apples though. I've been reading my cider book the last two nights. :) Should finish it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

im using about 6 varieties of apple which in itself is ineresting.just need advice on sweetning at bottling stage to suit my own taste.using pet bottles so not worried about explosions

I used 6 crushed splenda tablets per 500ml of fully fermented (i.e. very dry tasting) apple juice. May go with less the next time, but not by much. Tasted it last night (link) and it worked out very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Khannie wrote: »
    Cooking apples have their place in cider AFAIK. You'd want to balance their tartness with plenty of dessert apples though. I've been reading my cider book the last two nights. :) Should finish it tonight.

Hi Khannie

Any chance you could give me the name of the Cider bok you're reading, I'm going to do a couple of Demi Johns of Cider soon and would like to pick up a good book on it to get tips and instructions for a nice crisp cider for the summer months.
    Cheers in Advance.

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Any chance you could give me the name of the Cider bok you're reading

Yep. No worries. This is it. It's a pretty decent read, but I think it'll be more useful once I'm more experienced. I may attempt to build the apple press that it gives instructions for.

Advertisement