Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Field Study

• 06-03-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I am having problems in writing up my geography field study.

Last year we carried out the investigation of 'Changing land use patterns over time'. But my teacher that we had done it with retired and now we have a new (and not exactly good) teacher, and more or less, he hasn't a clue what he's at.

I was wondering does anyone have any tips in writing up the booklet.

Should I say 'I' rather that 'we' as if we weren't assigned groups, or should I acknowledge the fact we where grouped together?

What kind of diagrams should be drawn?

Any other advice is hugely appreciated. :)

PS. If I get an A I will credit you all. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Just a wee bump! :D

So, no one can help me with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I need help too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Well how about we compare notes? :P

What is your structure like? Is it detailed such as "The aims of my geographical investigation are x, y, z" or is it "Aims = x, y, z"
    Our teacher who hasn't a clue what he's at just keeps saying not to write much and just keep it "aims = xyz" but our teacher last year who (unfortunately) retired at the start of this year says to write the full page out rather than leave it half blank.

Don't know what to do. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BulletPoints

You need One Aim and 4 Hypothesis or say 2 aims and three hypothesis.
    So..maybe Aim= to show land use has changed over time' Hypotheses = there is less residential; there is more retail than commercial; that this is a response to people moving out of the area.

Hard to give guidance as I don't know the area you studied.

Whatever your aims you choose need to be reflected in the planning section esp. what activities you planned to do to show those aims. (plus preparation, secondary scorches, maps used)

This then needs to tie into the gathering exercise you did. Should be straight forward.

you need 4 SRPs worth of Results and these results should flow directly from the gathering. DO NOT make any conclusions here. For example..."I discovered the average width of the shop front was 60 feet" & the " average width of a house from was 30 feet.." (for arguments sake). Leave it at that.....then in your conclusion you could say " I concluded the shop front was made up of two house fronts.." (that's just for illustration...it depends on what you actually did).

You need 4 SRPs worth of conclusions - which should flow directly from your results. Ditto for evaluation.

Best to have 5 of each.

You need at least TWO different types of graphs...pie and bar for example. Include your tables you sue to draw the graphs.

Hope this clarifies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Manic2 wrote: »
    Should I say 'I' rather that 'we' as if we weren't assigned groups, or should I acknowledge the fact we where grouped together?

I'd tend to say 'I' more than 'we', that's what we used to be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

In your gathering of info section, try to include an "I" statement in each activity, even if it's just "I recorded the results in my recording sheet".

Advertisement