Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Salary to what my friend was offered

Options
  • 06-03-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an interview coming up with a company through a recruitment agency.
    I spoke to the recruitment agent on the phone briefly and she outlined the role. I don't remember getting into too many details about salary but then later by email she asked me what my salary expectations were, I said x but if the role had a lot of progression then x-5k. She then said great because you know that they will only pay x-5k. Now, I don't remember discussing the salary.

I then spoke to a friend who interviewed for the same job last year. He did not pursue it because the role required too much time commitment (or at least that is what he said). He told me that the salary discussed was X, not X-5k as the Recruitment agent said.

I am better qualified then him and our experience is comparable.

Now, I know some contracts mean the recruitment agent gets more money if they can get someone for less money. I haven't raised this with the recruitment agent yet but it is annoying me a bit.

I thought I would do the interview and see if they like me and I like them first. I don't think I will accept less than X, especially considering that they have been looking for a year at least.

What do you think? Is that a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I thought I would do the interview and see if they like me and I like them first.

Yeah, I'd just concentrate on the interview and worry about the salary if it comes to an offer. Maybe you won't like them or they won't like you, and it's irrelevant.

Was your friend actually offered the job, or was it just an interview with some chat about the salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I said x but if the role had a lot of progression then x-5k. She then said great because you know that they will only pay x-5k. Now, I don't remember discussing the salary.

that there was the mistake you made.
    Never ever give a company a lower figure because no matter how much they are willing to pay you, they will always take the lower option.

What you should have said is that you wanted x+5 but were willing to take x.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I only told the recruiter (from the agency) that
    (about my salary expectations)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I only told the recruiter (from the agency) that
    (about my salary expectations)

It it comes to an offer, there's a good chance that the HR person will ask the agent what kind of offer they think you'll take.

Anyway, it's irrelevant until it does come to an offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I then spoke to a friend who interviewed for the same job last year.

I know there shouldn't be that much fluctuation in the payscale year to year, but this could well be the reason why your friend got offered more.

Also despite the fact that you are more qualified and have comprable experience he might have had some 'wow' thing on his CV that meant they offered him more.

I would advise you to worry about the interview, it could be a moot point and they might just offer you the same thing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement