Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has a mod ever annoyed you

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Their sarcastic responses to threads such as this make some of them cnuts.

This.

Sometimes the sarcasm is warranted, but far too often I've seen pretty genuine questions met with cutting responses. This is fine if the poster knows about boards, but imho it could easily cause newer posters not to return.

Though, the sarcasm in the Prison Forum is classic at times :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

To be fair, the best forums are heavily modded. I use one or two forums where the mods take a back seat and rarely intervene, and to be honest those forums are ****e compared to boards. I do get annoyed to see threads being needlessly closed, but it seems to be more to do with certain forums rather that any particular mods. But **** it you can't make an omelette without pissing a few losers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    *waits to see denballs's status move from Registered to Banned...*
    How prophetic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Daemos wrote: »
    How prophetic :D

:confused::confused: Well.... I totes expected that to happen.... :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's posters that fock me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's posters that fock me off.

Then stop buying them from HMV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

TrollFaceDancing.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh look. OP banned.
    /kof.

I really am a joyless old bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

I don't think the moderators on here are very impartial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

kfallon wrote: »
    I've better things to be doing then to be getting annoyed by any mods tbh!

This.

If you think a mod is being a dick, let them at it. Close your laptop or switch off your machine and theyre gone. If you're letting the Internet bother you, you have to question your sanity. Nobody is making you stay on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yes, one time Frada pulled my pigtails and called me names :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Paul Weller pissed me off once when he wouldn't sign autographs after a gig in the Marquee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Paul Weller pissed me off once when he wouldn't sign autographs after a gig in the Marquee.

He pisses me off full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Yeah one of 'em is a complete **** and everyone seems to think so. They're also cliquey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Yes.

I think I've cunningly managed to tell my story without breaking the rules you set out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I get annoyed by internet hardmen desperate to show how they buck authority so much that they dare question the actions of unpaid moderators!
    Such rebellion.

From what I've seen of the big fora like AH, you're only going to get negative attention from a mod if you're acting the dick.
    If you behave like an adult, you won't have any problems.
    I'm also sure that if there was lax modding on such a big forum that it wouldn't last too long as it would be detrimental to Boards as a whole and its public image.

Now some people's personalities might rub you the wrong way a little, and I'm sure there are some mods on less-frequented fora that aren't wholly fair or consistent, but really, so what? That's life.

Anyway, if there's one thing worse than people complaining about mods, it's people complaining about mods and thinking that makes them rebellious or clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ya a mod has made me loco

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

The mod of the Necrophilia forum used to give me awful hassle. "have a cold one" he would keep telling me. Freak....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Just the once when I posted a joky reply on a forum about pregnancy. She didnt see that the joke was on the men knowing F**K all about contriception. Some women just have closed minds.:confused:

• Advertisement

mlumley wrote: »
    Just the once when I posted a joky reply on a forum about pregnancy. She didnt see that the joke was on the men knowing F**K all about contriception. Some women just have closed minds.:confused:

And closed legs. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Abi wrote: »
    This.

If you think a mod is being a dick, let them at it. Close your laptop or switch off your machine and theyre gone. If you're letting the Internet bother you, you have to question your sanity. Nobody is making you stay on boards.

Don't really agree with that Abi. Yes nobody is making you stay on boards and yes you can just switch off your laptop but... lot's of people like boards and don't want to just switch off their laptop because then they can't do something they enjoy. If a mod is being a dick then they are violating the golden rule of the site and shouldn't be modding. So no I don't think they should just be 'let at it' and that the people they are annoying by being a dick should have to stop using boards...

If they are actually being a dick of course...

I think I'd be a great mod. I could be impartial and fair. I know I act the bollix a lot on Boards but I think I could be a decent and unprejudiced mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Don't know why people have such an obsession with mods on here.

Try and find a forum on the internet with as many moderators, they have **** all to do so they do stupid things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

Yes I was given an infraction for 'being naughty' for posting "unsubstantiated rumours" about a financial institution by daring to suggest that Anglo Irish Bank was running out of money in 2008. I am not making this up. My post was even deleted! Still makes me suspicious of Boards to this day to be honest so I post my scoops elsewhere since. Most Mods here are pretty good though and in fairness they must have a hard job.

mlumley wrote: »

Them bitches be crazy ...err damm i am a woman ah ****e hanging round ah too long.

Mods gordons my fav go visit prison they are so mean in their its brillant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

biko wrote: »
    Sure we're drunk most of the time anyway.

Drunk with power maybe.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

strobe wrote: »
    Abi wrote: »
    This.

Don't really agree with that Abi. Yes nobody is making you stay on boards and yes you can just switch off your laptop but... lot's of people like boards and don't want to just switch off their laptop because then they can't do something they enjoy. If a mod is being a dick then they are violating the golden rule of the site and shouldn't be modding. So no I don't think they should just be 'let at it' and that the people they are annoying by being a dick should have to stop using boards...

If they are actually being a dick of course...
    I see your point Strobe, don't get me wrong. But arseholses exist offline too, I just avoid the c.unts. In RL people are faced with physical interaction and afraid of being hit if they tell people they are dicks, but in IRL, why bother with an Internet warrior? It's a non-issue to me. They've problems of their own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yes, but not because they're a mod, because they're being a twat.
    And whenever someone says a mod reprimanded them for something innocuous, I tend to suspect there's more to it.
    That said, becoming a mod does seem to change some people (not in a good way) but again, that's due to them, not their being mods.
    Usually the posters who harbour the most animosity towards mods are troublemakers anyway, annoyed that they can't act the dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

New feature?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Dudess wrote: »
    Yes, but not because they're a mod, because they're being a twat.
    And whenever someone says a mod reprimanded them for something innocuous, I tend to suspect there's more to it.
    That said, becoming a mod does seem to change some people (not in a good way) but again, that's due to them, not their being mods.
    Usually the posters who harbour the most animosity towards mods are troublemakers anyway, annoyed that they can't act the dick.

BANNED! (If I was mod of this forum) and BURNED! (for being some sort of senseable witch).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It's ok for mods to send threatening and intimidating PM's.

When asked to explain what it refers to, no reply,****, nothing.

SCUM BAG, o' by the way I still have that PM and feel like I might just post it in this thread to expose this little jackbooted terrorist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I had an issue recently with a mod, a new topic was opened and I aimed 2 questions at the OP in seperate posts, it was all relevant and in good nature and the OP answered and said they were good questions.

Unfortunately the mod didn't agree, he posted in the topic quoting both my posts, he said not to post in the topic again or I would be banned as I was "attacking the OP and derailing the topic".

I reported his post saying all my posts were relevant and of interest to other users. I got an immediate reply from the mod saying he was sorry and that he deleted his post.

Fairplay to the mod for his apology but he should never have acted so hastily in the first place and I believe instead of deleting his post, he should have left it and apologised within the topic, publicly admitting his wrongdoing considering he publicly tarnished my name with his wild accusations instead of trying to pretend it never happened.

Rant Over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

This thread speaks volumes about human nature . . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Strange to find this thread tonight :rolleyes: As it actually happened to me moments ago.

I wont name the mod or the area they mod in .... but .... I will say - normally the mods there are fine - they aren't overly harsh and really only step in when its needed and get rid of abusive/inappropriate posts and posters. Which is great - thats why they are there.

But tonight one of them (the most fair one, from what I've always seen) totally went out of line and banned someone. Permanent ban. The poster, in fairness, did post a few responses that could have been phrased better, but they were in no way unacceptable. Just maybe something he'd look back at in the morning and admit, ok, heat of the moment maybe I should have said that differently. But, in fairness, it was a heated topic so responses like that weren't going to be too long happening. The poster who was banned contributes regularly to the forum, and anything they post is very helpful/positive or whatever word best fits the moment - they are usually very spot on - and yes - have strong opinions - but usually debate them well and fairly without the "heat of the moment" actions shown tonight.

I myself try never to post in a "heat of the moment" moment - but its happened to the best of us. You click post and rant and submit it - then the rant is over, your head is clear and you go, ehhhh what have I just said - we've all been there - or just around the corner from it.

I've had this inkling feeling that the Mod in question has had something against this poster for awhile - and tonight was their revenge, so to speak. That they "got their own back" for what was said all those months ago. The poster in no way deserved a permanent ban for anything they said tonight. I've seen waaaaaaay worse things said on other threads in that area - and nothing is said, comments are not removed or edited or anything. The poster is fairly new to the section and has some strong opinions - but does that warrant them being banned for having an opinion that was different to anyone elses?? Isn't that what boards and forums in general is about. Discussion. How boring would it be if we all posted the same things - with the same opinion. The site wouldn't still exist that's for sure. Its the debate on some things that makes it popular.

In my opinion - this Mod was way over the top in their reaction. They used their power to their advantage to get rid of someone they didn't like and it completely wasn't fair. I know from a former boards user that if you click the report button and make a report - the mods are aware of it or they deal with it - I am not sure - but either way the friend reported a Mod for something and went to log into boards only to find that he was banned and his account did not exist any more. So I guess if you shoot a Mod down they'll take you down with them - so I don't even dare say anything about the Mod or the situation for fear I will not exist here anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If you feel harshly treated by a mod you can start a thread in the DRP forum to appeal decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement