Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straw Spreader For Bedding

• 06-03-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been thinking in investing in a sraw spreader. There is a few that chop and spread silage aswell but I have no interest in that.

I would like one that attaches to the back of a tractor like the teagle one in the video.
    Anyone here own or used a straw spreader for bedding? If so any particular make ye recommend?

Reason im interested is that the ol lad :p is finding it difficult to bed five sheds of cows every second day, plus it would shorten those winter nights when coming home from work.

Only thing that concerns me is that the straw would be mulched.
    Any advice especially feedback would be welcomed ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

A bridgeway bale unwinder might be your answer you will still have to do a bit of forking but it will break up bale farily handily you pick one up cheap second hand as they are not realy suitable for unwinding silage
    Even new you get it for about 1000 euro might be an option borrow one if you can and try it out
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2935327

If you offered him 500 euro he might take the hand off you if he still has it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

well Zetor

Its funny i was just thinking the same thing this evening.... I see a Teagle 4040 on Done deal. She is a bit expensive... not too sure if thats the one for fedding the silage or blowing the straw... Can anyone claify....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Whats a bale unwinder going to do? You still have to go into the pens and scatter it.

You need something that'l blow it in over their heads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Thanks for the recommendation, but I think the quality of the straw bale will have an effect on how good a job that does at unwinding. Im looking at something that will reduce the labour like above.
    iron man wrote: »
    well Zetor

Its funny i was just thinking the same thing this evening.... I see a Teagle 4040 on Done deal. She is a bit expensive... not too sure if thats the one for fedding the silage or blowing the straw... Can anyone claify....

Yep the 4040 does both afaik iron man. The 404 just does straw.

They seem the business, but im wondering would a fella mulch the straw too much and you end up using more bales in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cowbox

The brother in law has a teagle one something like this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2734167
    He has all straw sheds so it was a night mare bedding before this. Has the cattle bedded in a few minutes. He had one like you said above on trial and didnt like it at all I'm not sure what the real problems were but the one he has now is much better. The straw gets well chopper it doesnt go to mulch you just have to put out the same amount you always bed with. The bales would have to be dry going into it. You have to have a set of knifes in it to chop a silage bale. Once you would get one you would never go back using a fork!! :DThough I think they are expensive enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Have Been thinking about these choppers too lately was talking to a neighbour who has lots of bedded houses and uses bale silage and he was thinking about one as he would be good for him. Have been looking at them on YouTube and have noticed a lot are loaded with the net on is this ok or should they be unwound 1st? Could the netting be a worry if they eat it? While it would be much quicker could the net be a worry for the cows espically if you feed silage with them?

Advertisement