Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avonmore Milk????

Options
  • 06-03-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys I just had a chap knock on my hall door saying he was from Avonmore Milk wanting to know if I would be willing to sign up for deliveries. When I asked him to produce I.D he said he wouldn't, I asked why not and he said he didn't want to go back to the car to get it (the car was parked on the road outside the house 30m away). It may be nothing but just be careful out there and don't engage with door to door sales people with no I.D the Guards in Gorey have been informed. If anyone wants the car reg and make P.M me
    Cheers
    be safe and enjoy the rest of your day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Very odd that he didn't want to go get his id,however some of our local milkmen have been going door to door asking if people want to sign up for home deliveries.I know the guys so I'm sure they are 100% genuine.

But as the Gall said,if your not sure be careful,they could be genuine or scam artists who've seen this as a chance to con people by posing as milkmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Your right Zerks It probably was genuine but surly if he was genuine about his job/getting business he would put a bit of effort in and got his I.D and not be complaining about it when a potential customer asks for it. Surly this would have been the first thing that Avonmore would have said to him at his induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Avonmore!!!!! AvonfecinMore Milk

Where would ya be goin drink that aul Foreign Muck:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Avonmore have a new milk on the market and it is called Heart Active .

It contains Plant Sterols to help reduce cholesterol .... This milk is been actively marketed at the moment, and sales agents and distributors are been encouraged to sell this new milk .

You can see the advert on RTE every night , just after the 9.30pm weather forecast on RTE 1 .

Its on the airwaves and even in-store sales people in many supermarkets at the moment , with money off coupons .

Its possible that there may be a door-to-door marketing drive too.

I think the OP's first port of call , should be Avonmore , and not the Gardai .

Just ask who their milk agents are in your area , and as they are normally locals , you should be able to establish their identity

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭me m

i hope the wexford gardai have there best men on this case. sounds like a criminal mastermind. was he wearing a white coat.

• Advertisement

When someone claims to be from a reputable company, and selling products they should have their I.D with them. As they were knocking on my door after business hours the correct people to inform would be the guards.
    What has claiming that Avonmore are selling milk with plant sterols got to do with anything. I live in the countryside I don't know many of the locals. At worst he was conman at best he was a bad sales man. The guards were informed and were quiet happy with the information Avonmore will be informed this morning about how their 'Salesmen' conduct themselves when they knock on possible customers doors.
    I think your missing the point altogether the chap knocked on my door after business hours claiming to be from Avonmore milk I asked him for I.D he said It was in the car. I asked him could I see it before we go any further he said no and walked off, the car was on the road 30m from the house.
    Why would I ask the local milk agents in my area are people selling door to door, maybe (legit) agents are selling door to door. Professional agents/sellers would be able to produce I.D when required not start complaining that it is in the car , when the car is 30m away. Maybe you should take it for what it is, a heads up ona possible conman acting in north Wexford
    Avonmore have a new milk on the market and it is called Heart Active .

It contains Plant Sterols to help reduce cholesterol .... This milk is been actively marketed at the moment, and sales agents and distributors are been encouraged to sell this new milk .

You can see the advert on RTE every night , just after the 9.30pm weather forecast on RTE 1 .

Its on the airwaves and even in-store sales people in many supermarkets at the moment , with money off coupons .

Its possible that there may be a door-to-door marketing drive too.

I think the OP's first port of call , should be Avonmore , and not the Gardai .

Just ask who their milk agents are in your area , and as they are normally locals , you should be able to establish their identity

No white coat I'm afraid, I wouldn't say he was a criminal mastermind either as he forgot his (fake) I.D, and wasn't ready for the few questions I threw at him, the gob****e.
    me m wrote: »
    i hope the wexford gardai have there best men on this case. sounds like a criminal mastermind. was he wearing a white coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Avenmore milk is watery piss, got to sample the wexford creamery milk and avenmore at the weekend. Wexford milk is nicer, tastes more creamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

the GALL wrote: »
    Hey Guys I just had a chap knock on my hall door saying he was from Avonmore Milk wanting to know if I would be willing to sign up for deliveries. When I asked him to produce I.D he said he wouldn't, I asked why not and he said he didn't want to go back to the car to get it (the car was parked on the road outside the house 30m away). It may be nothing but just be careful out there and don't engage with door to door sales people with no I.D the Guards in Gorey have been informed. If anyone wants the car reg and make P.M me
    Cheers
    be safe and enjoy the rest of your day.

If you are in the Oulart general area, that man was genuine. Just not a good salesman. Especially when theres a shop across the road selling milk cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

me m wrote: »

How dairy try such a scam......must have a bit of bottle, though. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

ah here I thought we were going to lay off the Cheesy Jokes :D

Ozzie wrote: »
    If you are in the Oulart general area, that man was genuine. Just not a good salesman. Especially when theres a shop across the road selling milk cheaper!

Delivery is cheaper than collection in the long run .

Add the petrol usage going to shop and return journey @ €1.62 p/litre .

I know our car drinks more petrol than we drink milk .

Here was a genuine guy hoping to save the hard-pressed householder a few bob , and he ends up been the talk of the county on Irelands favourite gossip column .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here was a genuine guy hoping to save the hard-pressed householder a few bob , and he ends up been the talk of the county on Irelands favourite gossip column .

I hope all this publicity earns him a bit of business.At least now we know he's genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Ozzie wrote: »

Have heard the same, genuine salesman

So an update for those who are interested
    It turns out that he is/was genuine, how do I know, I rang Avonmore to inform them about possible
    1.conmen using their name
    2.salesmen with bad attitude
    they took my number and registered the complaint, about an hour later I got a call from xyz marketing saying they received a call from Avonmore Milk about a rep of theirs calling to houses and not producing their I.D. There assured me that it was one of their staff and he wasn't/didn't follow company procedure re: showing I.D. He informed me that the Guards had stopped him on the road and confirmed who he was. He was not aware of the sly/stupid comments that he came out with when he was leaving my door and seemed stuck for words when I informed him. He apologized 7 times about his staff member(FFS). He offered to send the rep back to my address with his I.D I refused his offer and told him to take my name/address off any further marketing drives by his company or Avonmore milk. I also informed Avonmore milk of the same when we talked.
    The long and the short of it is I probably would have gone with milk deliveries, why, because it may put someone in a job, but I don't have anytime for ignorant lazy people. There's a recession on and to survive you need to got that extra little bit in the case of the sales rep he wouldn't/didn't bother his Bollox going to the car to get his I.D and when questioned about it he throws in a smart comment. So the outcome was the ol'bill pulled him, and an Irate (potential) customer rang his boss and made a formal complaint about him. Will he loose his job, I hope not. Will he receive a bollicking from the boss, I hope so. Will he think about his attitude and realize that there are appox 400,000 people on the dole and a lot of them could do his job better than him, probably not.
    That's me finished with this thread, I hope.

If the man had to arrive at your door with an Avonmore badge and a photograph of himself around his neck , would you have agreed to sign-up ?
    I think you probably would , until of course he asks you, for your bank account number for the direct debit .

Its my opinion that you were probably dealing with a man that is selling milk for many years now , and would have a 'set in his ways ' attitude .

I have often had to ring companies to establish the identity of their sales-people , and it is not unusual for you to receive the responses you did receive from the Avonmore head office .

But I can assure , he won't lose his job , but of course you did'nt share with us the ''sly'stupid comments he made when leaving you , other than he was not willing to go back to his car for ID .

He will receive a reminder of the companies rules/procedures by post and will be asked to follow them .
    He will be judged by sales and sales alone .

But you really did mis-judge the situation by wasting Garda time before you contacted the company in question .

the GALL wrote: »
    So an update for those who are interested
    It turns out that he is/was genuine, how do I know, I rang Avonmore to inform them about possible
    1.conmen using their name
    2.salesmen with bad attitude
    they took my number and registered the complaint, about an hour later I got a call from xyz marketing saying they received a call from Avonmore Milk about a rep of theirs calling to houses and not producing their I.D. There assured me that it was one of their staff and he wasn't/didn't follow company procedure re: showing I.D. He informed me that the Guards had stopped him on the road and confirmed who he was. He was not aware of the sly/stupid comments that he came out with when he was leaving my door and seemed stuck for words when I informed him. He apologized 7 times about his staff member(FFS). He offered to send the rep back to my address with his I.D I refused his offer and told him to take my name/address off any further marketing drives by his company or Avonmore milk. I also informed Avonmore milk of the same when we talked.
    The long and the short of it is I probably would have gone with milk deliveries, why, because it may put someone in a job, but I don't have anytime for ignorant lazy people. There's a recession on and to survive you need to got that extra little bit in the case of the sales rep he wouldn't/didn't bother his Bollox going to the car to get his I.D and when questioned about it he throws in a smart comment. So the outcome was the ol'bill pulled him, and an Irate (potential) customer rang his boss and made a formal complaint about him. Will he loose his job, I hope not. Will he receive a bollicking from the boss, I hope so. Will he think about his attitude and realize that there are appox 400,000 people on the dole and a lot of them could do his job better than him, probably not.
    That's me finished with this thread, I hope.

You were whey too quick to judge. If the rep had buttered you up a bit more, there wouldn't have been such a sour taste left in your mouth. :p

If the man had to arrive at your door with an Avonmore badge and a photograph of himself around his neck , would you have agreed to sign-up ?
    I think you probably would , until of course he asks you, for your bank account number for the direct debit .

Its my opinion that you were probably dealing with a man that is selling milk for many years now , and would have a 'set in his ways ' attitude .

I have often had to ring companies to establish the identity of their sales-people , and it is not unusual for you to receive the responses you did receive from the Avonmore head office .

But I can assure , he won't lose his job , but of course you did'nt share with us the ''sly'stupid comments he made when leaving you , other than he was not willing to go back to his car for ID .

He will receive a reminder of the companies rules/procedures by post and will be asked to follow them .
    He will be judged by sales and sales alone .

But you really did mis-judge the situation by wasting Garda time before you contacted the company in question .

As I said I would have agreed to sign up for deliveries, But I wouldn't have given out my bank details.
    Your opinion is duly noted, but wrong the guy who knocked on my door was in his early thirties but if he is 'stuck in his ways' he may need to go back for further training.
    Avonmores response was to take my details and follow up on the inquiry, which is correct.
    I'm glad of your assurances(re: the guy not getting sacked) I will sleep soundly knowing that:rolleyes::rolleyes:.
    As for receiving a reminder by post, I do hope that this is not what happens. As he doesn't/didn't work for Avonmore but a marketing company I do hope his boss calls him in for retraining/refresher course at the least.
    Just in case you missed the opening post
    1. The guys knocked on my door claiming to be from Avonmore Milk
    2. I ask for I.D
    3. He refuses
    4. I ask for I.D again and inform him that the conversation is over unless I see it
    5. He refuses again
    6. He walks off and passes a stupid comment
    7. I phoned the Guards and informed them that a 'salesman' knocked on my door claiming to be from Avonmore but when asked for his I.D he refused to show it (twice)

So I over reacted...
    If I was to follow your advice I wait 14hrs till the Avonmore offices open,(I checked they don't have a 24hr hotline) wait for them to get back to me.
    1. He wasn't a conman just a bad sales rep.......no harm done
    2. He was a conman, and I let you in on a secret the following happens more often than not and people wonder how so may break ins happen He knocks on my door and the conversation goes like this
    Bad sales rep/conman 'Hello I'm from Avonmore milk and would like to sign you up for deliveries'
    Me 'Go ahead im listening'
    Bad sales rep/ conman 'We will deliver your milk to you fresh each morning no extra charge just pay for the milk':):)
    Me ' what time do you deliver at?'
    Bad sales rep/conman' We deliver between 7.30 and 8'
    Me ' that's no good to me I leave for work at 6.30 and the wife leaves at 7.00 and the milk would be left out all day'
    Bad sales rep/ conman ' No worries. it was nice talking to you. Hey I just knocked into your neighbours in Number xyz do you know if their about during the day?'
    Me ' Na number x works all day, number y is away on holidays, and the guy next door, him and his wife work all day aswell'
    Bad sales rep/conman ' That's a shame Listen sorry for disturbing you thanks anyway and enjoy the rest of your evening'
    Me 'same to yourself g'luc'

The conman/bad sales rep has come across polite and professional
    What have I just done
    told him my habits monday to friday
    told him my neighbour habit's monday to friday for the next week or so
    put my families safety and possessions at risk
    As for wasting Garda time which part was wasting their time, the bit about the Guard picking up the phone or having to send a car out to ascertain who he was. The guard on the phone asked me for a description and when I gave him one I also added in 'he wasn't a Dub or from the travelling community' I didn't dictate to the guards what they were to do.
    Now, as I said already I live in the country and don't know many of the locals what if said Bad sales rep/conman was looking for houses that are empty during the day with oil tanks or whatever which are in easy access I have just giving him all the info he needs to carry out some robberies.
    I appreciate any further comments you may have on the above topic

In the abscence of decent law enforcement, it's no harm erring on the side of caution.

There's been reports of incidents where a "salesman" knocks at the front door and occupies the resident with a bogus pitch. Meanwhile the salesman's assistant is in through the back door for a handbag or laptop or whatever's handy.

Advertisement