Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SO i;ve got my polytunnel

Options
  • 06-03-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Got a cheap 20X 10 polytunnell on ebay delivered today. €139.00 apart from the obvious "set it up" what do I do next ?

setup boxes for the veg ?
    or
    rotavate the ground before I set it up and just plant directly
    or
    Any sugestions

Thanks

Clueless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 redzil

I'm no expert but I would recommend that you square the frame and build same first. Then put in the raised beds and top soil & pebble on walkway's plus any pipes you intend running for irrigation all b4 you put the polythene on the frame. This will make life much easier for you in the long run.

In the process of doing this on my new polytunnel at the moment!

Best of luck. it's hard work!!!!.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

spcw wrote: »
    Got a cheap 20X 10 polytunnell on ebay delivered today. €139.00 apart from the obvious "set it up" what do I do next ?

or
    or
    Any sugestions

Thanks

Clueless.

You will be looking for new plastic sheeting very soon.

These cheapy ones are useless and the sheeting will fade (sunlight) and tear to bits in no time at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

paddy147 wrote: »
    You will be looking for new plastic sheeting very soon.

These cheapy ones are useless and the sheeting will fade (sunlight) and tear to bits in no time at all

Ah paddy147, he only got it today, can you not let him enjoy the excitment of a new purchase before posting comments like that.

In time you may be right, but at least let him enjoy his first season, and have a bit of fun

OP.......enjoy........happy growing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Well I hate to be a downer but Paddy is dead right. These are notorious for blowing to pieces. Before you even think of putting it up get friendly with google and do some research, a lot of research. You will need to anchor these 'cheap' tunnels if you want to keep them. But, they can work and last but you need to add timber bracing to give them stability and strength and add a lot of weight to anchor them. Trust me, make this your priority before you even think of the layout or what you can plant inside. Don't allow yourself to get all wistful and think ah the guy on ebay wouldn't have sold it if the first strong wind would destroy it. Yes he would.
    Take a look at what this guy had to do to make his work ...
    http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/my-%C2%A350-polytunnel-from-ebay.31800/

If you happen to have really good shelter from wind that would really help.
    Don't be down-hearted, be realistic. If you add stability and weight you can end up with a good tunnel for little money. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

spcw wrote: »

or
    or
    Any sugestions

Thanks

Clueless.

Well done on the poly tunnel I have a greenhouse 8ftx12ft and all i did was to put a U shape wooden raised bed so i could walk up the middle.
    First year or so will be hit and miss with what does work but thats half the fun. Can you post a picture of your tunnel if its built right and held down it should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

thanks All, i will get busy building on sunday and post some pics from there.

Advertisement