Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time has come

Options
  • 06-03-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Guys im useless at reading through old threads but i would be very greatfull if u could take the time to read this brief synopsis of my situation and possibly give me a few pointers..
    Ive come to the realisation that to have a future i need to go earn some money
    Ive never been afraid of work often spent 14-15 hours a day on a digger !

Age 28
    Married (wife staying in Ireland for the time being)

3 yrs work experience with heavy plant 360 excavators and golf course construction
    3yrs work experience with Agricultural consultancy (environmental basis)

National Diploma in Forest Management
    Honours Degree in Environmental Science

I know this sounds terrible but i just want to go an work to make good money send it back and pay my bloody mortgage for a few years

Which line of work would be best to try to get into
    I hear the mines in Australia is good money, i know its just an existance but i wouldnt mind that.

Or would Canada be a good move?

Any thoughts opinions greatfully recieved

Regards
    Very demoralised Donegal man :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

1) apply for a working holiday visa to oz
    2) fly to perth (this is where most fifo work seems to be based afaik)
    3) try and secure some fifo work, pretty hard to do when you are on a working holiday visa from what i hear/read on here.
    4) after a few months if you like the job and the boss is willing go for a 457 visa.

simples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mplant

Ford4000 wrote: »
    Guys im useless at reading through old threads but i would be very greatfull if u could take the time to read this brief synopsis of my situation and possibly give me a few pointers..
    Ive come to the realisation that to have a future i need to go earn some money
    Ive never been afraid of work often spent 14-15 hours a day on a digger !

Age 28
    Married (wife staying in Ireland for the time being)

3 yrs work experience with heavy plant 360 excavators and golf course construction

I know this sounds terrible but i just want to go an work to make good money send it back and pay my bloody mortgage for a few years

Which line of work would be best to try to get into
    I hear the mines in Australia is good money, i know its just an existance but i wouldnt mind that.

Or would Canada be a good move?

Any thoughts opinions greatfully recieved

Regards
    Very demoralised Donegal man :(
    Check out Canada jobs on donedeal.
    Digger drivers wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ford4000 wrote: »

You may be able to get some work in the environmental area of the mineral resource industry. Mining is heavily legislated in Australia and mining houses have to tick boxes against all manner of government requirements before digging holes. Environmental management plans, environmental impact statements, environmental audits, air and water quality studies, noise impact assesments, visual amenity assessments, flora, fauna, so on, so forth.

You yourself know what your work experience involved and what your environmental science qualifies you to do - so start looking up the aussie websites for environmental science positions related to mining and minerals and see how far you get.

Don't apply for any job without making sure you understand properly precisely how to apply for a job in Australia (the CV is a different format to Ireland and if there are key selection criteria you need to address them). You can get that information on here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭zuzuzu

Sorry this may be blunt but I think it'd be your ideal way of going about it

1. Whv to perth

2. Get tickets for Excavator, Loader (any plant you are well able to drive) could cost around $600 dollars per ticket

3. Apply to all Big companies in WA, mainly working in the northwest pilbara region (NRW, John Holland, Laing O rourkes, Mc Mahons, Leightons, Calibre - any of the major construction companies working under BHP Billiton or Rio Tinto)

4. Do your 6 months max allowable work under whv work conditions with one company, all the time dropping huge hints to supervisors, project managers, directors that you have degree in "environmental" engineering.

5. If after 6 months with no sponsorship try to secure work with another mentioned big company repeating same process.

If you secure fifo work 3 months working "up North" will go towards your regioal work and will qualify you for a second year visa. So thereotically you could have 24 months of this.

Operators get paid good coin working fifo so with a good budget mortgage can be paid at home. Conditions can be tough altho most camps these days are pretty modern.

The one thing you find when you work "in the mines" is that word of mouth can be one of the biggest ways of getting future work and if your operating skills are good they will be noticed and wanted.

Toughest thing is the getting the foot in the door in the first place but is possible. Although family strain and seperation is something that I couldn't comment on in this as have no experience but wife and child wouldn't be covered under whv

As I say that would be the ideal scenario but it can and is very tough for all those stars to align :)..... wish you luck

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

With the amount of tradesmen and others with no educational qualifications (third level) coming into Perth and the rest of Australia, It makes it look like that's all the Irish do and makes it harder for a professional to get a job if they ever decide to stereotype here...
    Hopefully the visa changes get rid of some of this crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Mike... wrote: »
    With the amount of tradesmen and others with no educational qualifications (third level) coming into Perth and the rest of Australia, It makes it look like that's all the Irish do and makes it harder for a professional to get a job if they ever decide to stereotype here...

For a well educate professional your ability to write coherent sentences is pretty average!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Mike... wrote: »

So its the uneducated mass's thats stopping a professinal like ur self getting a job?

Ever think it might be ur work ethic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jackbhoy wrote: »
    For a well educate educated professional your ability to write coherent sentences is pretty average!

Fixed your post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    jackbhoy wrote: »
    For a well educate educated professional your ability to write coherent sentences is pretty average!

Fixed your post

Touché :)

3 years using smartphone and still can't type on it!

Advertisement