Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SW main unit

Options
  • 06-03-2012 7:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting an RF LOW BATT on my HKC alarm, I think a SecureWave.

I've changed batteries on sensors before and I'm pretty sure the panel told me which one it was, how do I track this one down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

dahamsta wrote: »
    I'm getting an RF LOW BATT on my HKC alarm, I think a SecureWave.

I've changed batteries on sensors before and I'm pretty sure the panel told me which one it was, how do I track this one down?

When arming the system does it not tell you the zone with the low battery?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On a Securewave? :eek:
    How long is it installed?

Have you got a keyfob on the system?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

altor wrote: »
    When arming the system does it not tell you the zone with the low battery?

Nope, like I said it says "RF LOW BATT".
    KoolKid wrote: »
    On a Securewave? :eek:
    How long is it installed?

About a year and a half. The engineer is grand, I was just hoping to fix it myself.

Nope.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

About a year and a half. The engineer is grand, I was just hoping to fix it myself.

You really shouldn't be getting low battery after such a short time. I'd be looking for a free replacement.

• Advertisement

Unless you can check the logs then you will need the engineer to change the battery.

He gave me 4 batteries a while back. How do I check the logs? Engineer login?

You will need the engineer code. Go into the service menu, yes, scroll to log menu, yes, scroll to view log, yes.

Thanks. Engineer says the software needs to be upgraded, mine has an early revision.

Your welcome,

That should sort it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 bswee365

Hi, I was also getting RF Low Batt, No specification as to which zone. I replaced all batteries in the window shock sensors. The Doors are connected to mains (No batteries in those). I'm still getting RF Low Batt intermittently.

However I DO have a keyfob. Would this report a low batt to the system?
    If this IS the problem, and I replace the battery in it, will the fob have to be re-linked to system?

If this isn't the problem, could it be a problem with back up battery for entire system OR is there a battery in the outside bell box? Thanks for any advice.

(Fob in use for about 16 months)

On a different note, I noticed the following thread re Deleting a number from my GSM dialler: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69617656

I have a very old number that needs to be deleted as that number has since been assigned to a stranger who is now getting my alarm notifications!

Does this require an engineer visit? The above-mentioned thread lead me to believe that the user was able to delete/amend as necessary? Shame to bring an engineer out just to delete a number!

The people who have that old number must be trying to reply to the texts (possibly trying to get them to stop or find out what it's about) and this itself is confusing the alarm system as those texts are not in a recognisable format.

Can't answer those questions, just wanted to add to the thread for reference that the error /was/ caused by a dead/dying battery in an RF unit I had forgotten about. It wasn't being reported correctly because of the software bug. If you do have to get an engineer out, I'd suggest asking him to update it for you.

bswee365 wrote: »
    Hi, I was also getting RF Low Batt, No specification as to which zone. I replaced all batteries in the window shock sensors. The Doors are connected to mains (No batteries in those). I'm still getting RF Low Batt intermittently.

However I DO have a keyfob. Would this report a low batt to the system?
    If this IS the problem, and I replace the battery in it, will the fob have to be re-linked to system?

If this isn't the problem, could it be a problem with back up battery for entire system OR is there a battery in the outside bell box? Thanks for any advice.

(Fob in use for about 16 months)

The battery in the fob would need to be replaced. Once the battery is replaced it will clear the low battery message, no need for any reset.

bswee365 wrote: »
    On a different note, I noticed the following thread re Deleting a number from my GSM dialler: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69617656

I have a very old number that needs to be deleted as that number has since been assigned to a stranger who is now getting my alarm notifications!

Does this require an engineer visit? The above-mentioned thread lead me to believe that the user was able to delete/amend as necessary? Shame to bring an engineer out just to delete a number!

The people who have that old number must be trying to reply to the texts (possibly trying to get them to stop or find out what it's about) and this itself is confusing the alarm system as those texts are not in a recognisable format.

To change the numbers you will need engineer access to the alarm system.
    People who have there engineer code can change any setting in there panel.
    If you do get an engineer out you can ask him to reset the engineer code to something you know for doing things like this.

Can't answer those questions, just wanted to add to the thread for reference that the error /was/ caused by a dead/dying battery in an RF unit I had forgotten about. It wasn't being reported correctly because of the software bug. If you do have to get an engineer out, I'd suggest asking him to update it for you.

When the low battery appears on the system the alarm will indicate what the low battery is. If the system is armed and then disarmed the low battery is logged in the log. Only with engineer access to the system can you tell what the low battery is.

Perhaps with other systems, but this system normally tells you which zone needs a battery. On this occasion the zone wasn't reported because of a software fault, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Perhaps with other systems, but this system normally tells you which zone needs a battery. On this occasion the zone wasn't reported because of a software fault, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

This is not correct dahamsta, the system will only indicate this until the alarm is armed and disarmed. Then it will be logged in the log, only accessible by engineer mode. It is the way HKC have set up the system.

The system has indicated low batteries in two different zones on previous occasions. Perhaps you think I was imagining this? :rolleyes:

The system has indicated low batteries in two different zones on previous occasions. Perhaps you think I was imagining this? :rolleyes:

It may have indicated the low battery but then went into the log. Like your first post says ;)
    That is how the system is designed to work by HKC.

• Advertisement

It may have gone into the log, but it was also indicated on the panel. Now will you go way and waste someone else's time with this circular nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Are you sure it's a secure wave and not an 8/12 with a quick bridge installed? ??From your first post you said you weren't sure ... A 10/70 would tell you exactly what sensor had a low batt the 8/12 with quick bridge wouldn't
    . Does it have a blue or green backlit display? :rolleyes:

It may have gone into the log, but it was also indicated on the panel. Now will you go way and waste someone else's time with this circular nonsense?

Just explaining how the system works, if you don't want to know then someone else might be interested. That is what this forum is all about.

I went to get the new battery for the fob in a jewellers. They tested original battery and said it was absolutely fine, full of power. Could it be the backup battery at all (in the main unit)?
    All window shock sensor batteries have been replaced.
    The front & back door sensors are powered off the mains.
    It seems like the hall sounder is also mains powered, as is the hall motion sensor - I don't see any batteries in these units.
    That leaves: The Main Alarm system box, the GSM dialler and the outdoor bellbox. Any batteries in these hardware items that could be causing the problem? Thanks so much.

So is it just your fob that's not working?

It could be any device that is powered by a battery. You will need engineer access to the alarm log to determine what has the low battery.

KoolKid wrote: »
    So is it just your fob that's not working?

The fob works fine, I was just trying to isolate what is causing the low batt warning. I'm just getting an "RF Low Batt" warning but it's not telling me which area/sensor.

Altor, thanks for your help, I was hoping to avoid getting an engineer out for what I thought might be a trivial/simple problem. I guess I'll have to give him a call

Sorry I could not help more. The system will give an indication of the low battery, whatever it is but then it only logs the device in the log and says RF low battery on the keypad. That is how the system works. I would get the engineer to set up a engineer code for you if you are going to be replacing batteries yourself, always handy to have.

Trial and error worked for me when the abovementioned zone didn't identify itself on the panel, no engineer code required. Just popped out the battery, entered my own code to halt the tamper alarm, installed the new battery and halted the tamper again, and pretty soon the error went away and I had my dodgy battery. Shouldn't take long unless you have a very big house. :)

• Advertisement

Am I reading this right?
    The panel doesn't tell the end user where the low battery is?

Advertisement