Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Certificate in Computing Applications and Support

Options
  • 06-03-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I am thinking of going to NCI next year and am wondering what the course is like. I have done a Fetac level 5 PC maintenance & tec support course and the Comptia A+ and am nearly qualified in the CCNA course. I know a little programming & wondering how demanding the 1st year is or any thoughts you have on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nci_part_timer

First year is easy enough (i know "easy" depends on your abiliies) but if youve done the A+ and more importanly the ccna, you can handle first year.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joncol

Hey Folks.

I'm considering starting this course in September on a part time basis.

My one worry is it's technicality. I'm currently out of work so will have the time to put into this and am committed to give it 110% but I was speaking to a friend who studied computers who told me that you have to have a natural ability when it comes to computers and if you don't pick it up early on that you're screwed, no matter how hard you work at it.

I didn't do higher maths in the leaving and if I'm honest was never the greatest at the subject. Perhaps this course is for those with a natural flair for maths/science?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Crash Override

martin g wrote: »
    I am thinking of going to NCI next year and am wondering what the course is like. I have done a Fetac level 5 PC maintenance & tec support course and the Comptia A+ and am nearly qualified in the CCNA course. I know a little programming & wondering how demanding the 1st year is or any thoughts you have on it.

Hi there,

The given that you already have basic programming knowledge and the A+ means you'll probably do very well. The CCNA is not relevant here. There is a networkingn module in years 2 and 3 but its all very easy and basic.

1st year is a Doddle and the others do get progessively harder but assuming you do the work and attend a good amount fot he time you'll be fine.

Overall if you're a computer-head in general its quite easy.

I did the Cert and after the second year I went into year 3 of BSc in computing (the Degree course). I'm just finishing work experience and am starting final year this September so I can't comment on what final year is like.

Joncol wrote: »
    Hey Folks.

I'm considering starting this course in September on a part time basis.

My one worry is it's technicality. I'm currently out of work so will have the time to put into this and am committed to give it 110% but I was speaking to a friend who studied computers who told me that you have to have a natural ability when it comes to computers and if you don't pick it up early on that you're screwed, no matter how hard you work at it.

I didn't do higher maths in the leaving and if I'm honest was never the greatest at the subject. Perhaps this course is for those with a natural flair for maths/science?

Hey,

Have a read of my reply above to Martin too but basically, if you put the work in there's no reason you shouldn't pass and do well.

You necessarily have to have a natural ability or be very good with computers but it helps.

To be honest the only part I found difficult in the course (which I'm still in) is the programming. I personally think the programming is the topic that needs the most work for most people.

I didn't do higher maths and was terrible at it the subject. Maths is essentially not needed. There is one maths module in 1st year and even I found it easy. After that the only thing relating to maths is the programming (similar thinking involved).

Cheers for the reply mate.

I currently have my own web design business but I use Adobe Muse to create my sites which works on design rather than coding (i.e it codes it for you), the cheaters way if you like!

I've an interest in learning code and everything that goes with it, it's just extremely daunting, ya know yourself, but I do have the appetite to expand my portfolio as the course progresses so have a real interest in this course.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    Appreciated.

• Advertisement

Crash.
    Do you mind me asking how you found career prospects after completion of the cert.

My intention would be to complete the cert and then progress to year three of the degree course as you yourself have.

As I say I have my own web design business, but it's small and the reason I'm looking to study part time is I'd like to work during the course. It would be interesting to know if completion of the Cert itself presents job opportunities in the sector (even if low level)while going on to complete the degree part time.

Thanks again.

Cheers for the reply mate.

I currently have my own web design business but I use Adobe Muse to create my sites which works on design rather than coding (i.e it codes it for you), the cheaters way if you like!

I've an interest in learning code and everything that goes with it, it's just extremely daunting, ya know yourself, but I do have the appetite to expand my portfolio as the course progresses so have a real interest in this course.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    Appreciated.

Would Adobe Muse be similar to Dreamweaver in that regard? The college has that program (DW) on its systems.

First year has a webdesign module which is very basic, teaches you HTML and CSS and that.

There was an Advanced Webtechnologies in the Degree part of the course which I did last semster which covers back-end stuff like Server-side scripting and more technical things. Also there was use of Visual Studio program.

The main programming module teaches the Language of 'Java'. I would even suggest picking up a beginners book for Java and start learning a little bit now as I feel the more familiar you are with it before, the easier it will be to get a grasp on.

I will reply to your other question in another post.

Muse essentially takes out the requirement for Dreamweaver as the programme creates the code for you as you design the site. You literally just deal with the design element rather than the structure.

It does however have it's limitations and for that reason I'd much prefer to learn code from scratch.

Crash.
    Do you mind me asking how you found career prospects after completion of the cert.

My intention would be to complete the cert and then progress to year three of the degree course as you yourself have.

As I say I have my own web design business, but it's small and the reason I'm looking to study part time is I'd like to work during the course. It would be interesting to know if completion of the Cert itself presents job opportunities in the sector (even if low level)while going on to complete the degree part time.

Thanks again.

I managed to get a job during my second semester of First year so that wouldn't really be attributed towards what I had done in the college since I only started.

However in year 3 there is a work experience module (which I am currently doing) and this is very good for getting expereince in a proper company and really good to have on the CV.

So in terms of the Cert, I'm not realy sure, jobs are scarce as it is, so employers will be digging around for the best graduates, you'd have more luck with a Degree than a Cert but that's not to say you won't get anywhere with the cert.

Final question, I swear haha!!!

What what the rough age of people on the course. Just wondering...

• Advertisement

Just noticed they have practically the same course in DIT for 2,400 rather than 3,800 as it the case with NCI.

Any real reason NCI should be so much dearer? Better facilities?

Final question, I swear haha!!!

What what the rough age of people on the course. Just wondering...

If you're going for Part-Time, then it will be mixed as most people who are in partime are already working or looking to get more qualifications. To guess I would say, anything over 23 usually mature students. There's even been people in there 30's and over so its quite mixed.

Fulltime is going to be basically young people from the ages of 18-22. however I'm fulltime and there was a few 'mature students' on our group so it can still be a bit mixed.

From what I understand - Full time will be Monday - Friday no later that 5 and no earlier than 9 and usually each semester you get 1 of the days off so its realy only a 4 day week.

Part time is something like Tuesday and Thursday evenings from like 6:30-10 (latest) and Saturdays 9-5.

Full time will have more work load, par time will more likely have more people your age group.

Just noticed they have practically the same course in DIT for 2,400 rather than 3,800 as it the case with NCI.

Any real reason NCI should be so much dearer? Better facilities?

I'm not sure on DIT's course compared to the NCI course. The facilities here are good. I guess it's down to which one is closer and cheaper but also maybe take into account which one is harder. Go to the Open Days for both colleges, I think theer's one coming up in NCI soon, and see the place for yourself and ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 link1991

I just signed up for this course. Since I'm not from Ireland can somebody tell me what would my job prospects be with only the cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

link1991 wrote: »
    I just signed up for this course. Since I'm not from Ireland can somebody tell me what would my job prospects be with only the cert.

I'm currently in 3rd year of the degree, having finish the higher certificate last year.

I know one girl got a job with Citi bank with just the higher certificate. She's a technology analyst and does a lot of work with C# and Angular. She wasn't the best technic, but is a very social a day talkative person.

Advertisement