Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

speaker to hdmi and back

• 06-03-2012 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

I suddenly have a need to convert my speaker wire to a pre chased hdmi cable, and back to speaker wire again. This would give me a neat solution for speaker placement using a redundant hdmi cable.

Does any such converter or other botch job exist?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭andy1249

No , nothing about a HDMI cable would make it anything like suitable for carrying the kind of signal that usually travels over a speaker cable.

Its not nearly thick enough , and would significantly affect the sound quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Does any such converter or other botch job exist?

I'm not sure of the guage of the copper wires inside the hdmi cable but if you wanted to cut off the plugs at either end, pare back the outer shielding, you would hopefully see something like:
    1285331693230_hz-myalibaba-web10_9283.jpg

You could then try using the 4 double pairs as your 4 speaker wires? Depending on the guage, you might be able to include some of the spare single wires into each "pair" ie 3+3+3+3.

I run solid core speaker wire, and it is in twisted pair configuration (as opposed to mains electrical cable) so I'd imagine that wouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Yep that was my fall back plan. I'll try it and let you know how/if it works!

Advertisement