Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

screaming babies aaaggghhhhh

• 06-03-2012 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

just wondering how all the new parents are getting on with their little screamer/s. not day goes by for us without the little lad screaming the house down, we feed him ,change him ,burp him but as soon as he goes down he's off. when we're out and people see them they think they're little angels and are ohh so quiet. today we tried putting them up to bed early for a nap and within a few mins they were off. so purple takes our little girl out for a walk. josh falls asleep. i go down and lord and behold he's off again. he has this knack of spitting out his soother and if it's not back in his mouth within a few mins he knows we're not there and he does the roar. i know tonight is going to be another nightmare for us again.all they want is to be held but things have to be done around the house and we need a bit of R&R. time to run as the little girl is doing her roar now :eek:
    i almost forgot to mention all the sleepless hours as theres no such thing as night and day any more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mauzouni

How old are your little ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Have you got a sling? I found it invaluable for keeping baby happy and being able to (sort of) get a few things done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

NextSteps wrote: »
    Have you got a sling? I found it invaluable for keeping baby happy and being able to (sort of) get a few things done.

I am finding the sling great too! My 3 week old is tiny and curls up in it - I think she thinks she's back in the womb!

One thing tho - if one baby or both of them for that matter cries worse when lie down I wonder could ya check with your g.p if they have reflux? Are the possetting a whole lot after feeds ?

The crying is hard to listen to tho... I thought the sound of your own. Any crying wasn't meant to bother you so much..... Def not true!! I have to hand her over to himself after an hr and walk away... She hasn't had a complete fit while he hasn't been here yet - I'm not looking forward to when she does!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

mauzouni wrote: »
    How old are your little ones?
    you could say they're 4 months old. born very premature. the problem with them is they want to be held 24/7. only 1 sling. they're both over the 10lb mark. it's a bit of weight to be carrying around for a while. also i dont like going into the kitchen when using a sling. we live of coffee and tea. just a bit cautious when it comes to being around hot water. i suppose i'm looking for answers on how to deal with the constant crying. i want to get them into a routine of going up to their cots early. problem is i can switch off most of the time when it comes to their crying but sometimes it gets really bad that we have to lift them. twins 1 parents 0. as they always seem to get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsGoose

I hope I don't sound preachy but it sounds like you need to get a bit of a routine going so that they know what to expect and when and then you can get a bit of a break too, otherwise you're going to end up suffering from exhaustion.

I have two smallies and we have a fairly good routine it took a whle to get going smoothly about 3/4 weeks but now 2/3 years later I know once 8pm hits they're in bed sleeping and I have a few hours to myself.

Wishing you the very best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

MrsGoose wrote: »
    I hope I don't sound preachy but it sounds like you need to get a bit of a routine going so that they know what to expect and when and then you can get a bit of a break too, otherwise you're going to end up suffering from exhaustion.

Wishing you the very best
    far from it mrs. goose. we're looking other parents opinions. we've tried lots of things but they cry each time.it's got the stage where we're going on auto pilot alot of the time now very close to sleep walking as well. purples motherly instincts kick in so much so she cant stand to hear her kids scream and goes to them. as i said i can switch off most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsGoose

I did a combination of two routines. the Contented baby and baby whisperer. I took what worked for us from both and mashed them together.

I don't have twins but my two are a year apart. I also learned it's ok to let them have a little cry, sometimes they need to just to burn off energy especially when going to sleep. I'm not taking about leaving them crying for hours or letting them get hystrical but just flex their lungs a little. Those two books explain it better than I can, I'm afraid.

But it does get easier so hang in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I just thought this was worth a mention as im sure you would consider/try anything at this stage. For the first month or two my son would not settle at night, used to scream as if he was in pain etc. As you said he was fed, changed, winded etc but still no peace. He was difficult it to get get wind up on anyway and would scream and break wind down below. Anyway i ended up changing to dr.browns bottles and changed food from sma to cow and gate and he was like a different child. No more of the screaming etc. I had been using the avent 'anti collic' bottles, which are not supposed to let air in with their supposed anti collic system but i could see the air bubbles flying down the bottle as he was drinking it, therefore he would get awful wind. So it may be worth a shot changing bottles as with dr.browns no air gets in at all and i would get all gist wind up within minutes. Then he would hav a peaceful nights sleep/nap.
    The above may be useless info and not relate to your current issues but as i said anythings worth a try! Best of luck. Take care. Oh and if its an option un your household then perhaps your and the oh could take turns, a night on, and night off. It was am option for us so thats what we did the first month or so until he started sleeping longer at night (which is usually said to start happening around 6 weeks onwards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I'm trying to think of a solution to the most immediate problem: your lack of sleep and fatigue. While you feel so tired and emotionally strained it's going to be very difficult to get any kind of routine going or to make difficult decisions as to how long to let them cry before picking them up.

Would you be able to get a couple of friends or aunts or uncles to come and do a two day stint with the kids so that ye could have two nights sleep. I know it sounds like off loading the problem, but ye really need it. Drag purple away if you have to. While she's tired and emotional she won't want to leave them (I was the very same) but she needs the break. Ye have had it very hard with them being very premature and sick. And the constant thing in ye're heads is that ye have to almost wrap them in bubble wrap. Even if it's not a concious thought.

I don't know if ye have them on a regular feeding schedule but if not that should be the first thing to have in place.

If all they want is to be held then that's the next thing to work on. Buy a couple of bouncy chairs so that they can be out of your arms, but in something safe that you can move from room to room with you. They might only sit for a minute at the beginning but you can really work on upping it.

I hope some of that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I've been through exactly what you're describing, except that our twins were only a bit pre-mature not very ( 4 1/2 and 5 lbs ).

Until 6 months, 5 months corrected, they would scream the place down till around midnight, then collapse into sleep, then wake up on and off screaming through the night.

They'd also vomit in their sleep and wake up screaming in pain - you could smell the stomach acid.

Tried everything. They grew out of it.

Yours will grow out of it too, and soonish mostly likely.

My best wishes, it's a really unpleasant place to be in, and it is 24/7, 7 days a week.

The advice of getting anybody you can to mind them over-night is good - I had to do a MSc project just after getting them home from special care. So we hired a lady to mind them twice a week for 4 weeks, so that I could function enough to do it.

Interesting times. It'll pass, honestly. Mine are only 18 months now and I can barely remember that stage, just a weird sense of disquiet thinking about it :)

If you want to chat over tea with parents of multiples who've been through similar check out http://www.imba.ie . It's the Irish Multiple Birth's Association. They really cheered my wife up and there were always people willing to hold a baby at the City West meetings we go to as most of the twins are running around playing with the toys - it's in a community toddler play room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement