Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maritime related TV programmes

• 06-03-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

hey folks,
    i thought it might be an idea to stick up details of maritime related tv shows in their own thread,

on tonight (6/3/12), and next week at 9pm on discovery channel (520 on sky)
    swords: life on the line
    this is a series following boats fishing for swordfish and tuna, in the north atlantic,

tomorrow (7/3/12), part 2 of 6, at 8pm on bbc2 (142 on sky)
    the fishermans apprentice with monty halls,
    a series with marine biologist monty halls fishing from cadgwith in cornwall, i missed the first episode:mad:, sounds good though,

both commercial fishing shows, not everyones cup of tea!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I was hoping for links to ''The Love Boat''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Mark you calendar folks.
    July 15th National Geographic Channel.

A dive (assisted by the Irish Government) was recently carried out for Nat Geo on Lusitania. I believe ILS Granuaile was involved in the dive using ROV.

Should make for interesting viewing. Seems they discovered no arms of any sort were being carried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Mark you calendar folks.
    July 15th National Geographic Channel.

A dive (assisted by the Irish Government) was recently carried out for Nat Geo on Lusitania. I believe ILS Granuaile was involved in the dive using ROV.

Should make for interesting viewing. Seems they discovered no arms of any sort were being carried.
    Who was the diver from Cobh who did find arms aboard it fifteen or twenty years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The PBS series carrier is available to watch on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/show?p=lwRWg1czcnk&s=1

(note to mods, no breach of copyright it is on the official pbs channel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Stumbled across a "must see" tv series for anybody interested in shipping.
    It's on Quest (Sky 154) and it's called Mighty Ships.
    I think I caught Season 2 last week, with one episode each day.I found it fascinating.
    Each episode is dedicated to a different vessel that has been constructed to carry out a specific task.E.g. one of the episodes last week was about the MV Resolution, captained by irishman Paul Larkin.
    She is the world's first purpose built vessel for installing off-shore wind turbines, and has a six-leg jacking system that allows her to jack herself out of the water and turn into a working platform.
    Anyway, the episode on Monday at 4pm is about the USS Kentucky; Tuesday at 4pm is about the Oasis Of The Seas etc etc...

Oh Christ, have I just become an ANORAK?!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

BBC2 last night Engineering Giants was about decommissioning of a Gas producing platform in Southern North Sea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Gunnar Blomdhall, CEO one of the UK's biggest ferry companies, Stena Line, goes undercover on some of his own fleet of ships to find out if the business is delivering its promise of convenient, efficient and relaxing travel.

Stena has recently invested over one billion pounds on increasing the look and size of its operation, but Gunnar is worried that standards have slipped. What he discovers undercover shocks him - paying customers onboard a building site at sea, sub-standard customer service, and flawed design on a brand new superferry.

When he meets foreign crew earning less than the UK minimum wage and staff dealing with the uncertainty of seasonal contracts he faces difficult moral questions, and is moved by a Filipino crew member coming to terms with the death of his daughter while working away from his family.

When Gunnar returns to head office he's determined to make changes.

Monday 06 August 9PM Channel 4

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/undercover-boss/episode-guide/series-4/episode-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

BBC2 last night Engineering Giants was about decommissioning of a Gas producing platform in Southern North Sea.
    The had another one on about refurb a P&O passenger and cargo ship interetsing stuff

The had another one on about refurb a P&O passenger and cargo ship interetsing stuff

Must look at that, saw the opening credits on Sunday night, but fell asleep in the armchair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

The Filipinos getting paid €2 per hour was shocking. And they lived in a cabin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

man98 wrote: »
    The Filipinos getting paid €2 per hour was shocking. And they lived in a cabin!

Thats quite good. Indian staff on P& O ships get €0.98 an hour, and make the rest on tips.

Quest Tonight

21:00
    MIGHTY SHIPS (SERIES 5)
    Episode 4Supertanker Mares Peregrino is being transformed into a floating oil production, storage and offloading vessel. But will her final journey to the oil fields go smoothly?

Should be a good 15 minutes in it, once you discount the close brush with disaster (ran out of tea) and any other dramatic BS included to spice it up.

Actually was quiet fascinating, and the very near disaster BS was a kept to a minimum

Is it true them FPSO never see drydock ?

Advertisement