Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

68 Pontiac Parisienne - Ranelagh?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

JZJ 555 is a four door hardtop RHD '64 Pontiac Parisienne, aqua blue in colour and is in hibernation with a collection of other cars in Dublin. It would have lived in the Ranelagh area.

Capri, is this the car you were thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

looked in good condition back then!!Canadian built version no doubt??

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭quattro777

Were there many 60's and 70's yank tanks available in RHD?

I'd like a muscle/pony car someday but LHD puts me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

quattro777 wrote: »

There was actually plenty of American cars sold here in the 50's / 60's but no RHD muscle cars I've seen and very few Ponys. Don't let the LHD put you off though - you get used to it very quickly. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

If it was really a big issue for you there are a few RHD Mustangs in Australia.. They imported them & did a factory conversion for a while in the 60's.... There are also a lot of LHD to RHD conversion kits for sale there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Capri, is this the car you were thinking of?

Strangely enough, NO,the pic is of a 64/65 Parisienne. As I said the one I 'remember' was like this 67/68 one but in dark green metallic -

http://www.nextcar.com.au/e.i.2006.mfs.pontiac.parisienne.1967.4022.r.00.60.JPG

it's becoming a bit of an obsession with me now :p ( 'Cars I've passed over buying ) , that and a Metallic grey Dodge V8 van Bolands up on Pinnock Hill had,

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dodge/ray-van.html

If I 'found' that Parisienne I might even swop my 99 S320 for it ! :p:p

i had a look round an original irish 1959 chevy Bel air today!!no picks im afraid:(

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭chevyv8

68deville wrote: »
    i had a look round an original irish 1959 chevy Bel air today!!no picks im afraid:(
    was that the one owned by a solicitor ,if so i remember that parked all the time outside the four courts back in the 60s.......:D:D

• Advertisement

chevyv8 wrote: »
    was that the one owned by a solicitor ,if so i remember that parked all the time outside the four courts back in the 60s.......:D:D

Tis the one by all accounts!!;)

68deville wrote: »
    Tis the one by all accounts!!;)

Black, parked at the corner on the Quays opp. the (Legal Eagle?) pub on Coleraine St :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Capri wrote: »
    Black, parked at the corner on the Quays opp. the (Legal Eagle?) pub on Coleraine St :)

Was that the one that was in a museum for a long time?

Capri wrote: »
    Strangely enough, NO,the pic is of a 64/65 Parisienne. As I said the one I 'remember' was like this 67/68 one but in dark green metallic -

http://www.nextcar.com.au/e.i.2006.mfs.pontiac.parisienne.1967.4022.r.00.60.JPG

it's becoming a bit of an obsession with me now :p ( 'Cars I've passed over buying ) , that and a Metallic grey Dodge V8 van Bolands up on Pinnock Hill had,

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dodge/ray-van.html

If I 'found' that Parisienne I might even swop my 99 S320 for it ! :p:p

That only dark green metallic '67 Pontiac that I remember was a Catalina. It was painted red in later years and owned by Gerry Doyle in Saggart.

The Dodge van was later painted satin black and faded to grey over the years- I have attached a pic of both cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 desmo58

New to boards, I have a few photos of that Bel Air taken in 1984, I think I've worked out how to link. If this works I'll add more.
    dsc00547 600.jpg

The owner was a gentleman altogether. My brother and I called to the house on spec one Sat afternoon to view a touring coach from the 50's that was kept in the back garden. There was a spares Bel Air in the back garden also.

dsc00548 b 600.jpg

OC 14.jpg

OC 15.jpg

OC 16.jpg

desmo58 wrote: »
    New to boards, I have a few photos of that Bel Air taken in 1984, I think I've worked out how to link. If this works I'll add more.
    dsc00547 600.jpg

CZA 174 was the reg of the one i was looking at!

Its a little known fact that the Judge owned three Chevrolets.
    Two '59s and one '60.

The first black Chevrolet was API795, he had owned this since the Sixties and eventually fell apart.
    He then bought CZA 174, a car that belonged originally to Seafield House in Donabate, and put the API plates onto it. His original car was broken up at his home in Glenageary.

The car in the photos is his second '59- its correct reg is CZA 174.

Obviously nobody noticed the switch!!

I didnt like ta say it but the towhitch bracket kinda gave it away!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭chevyv8

thanks for putting up those pics. that car brings back memories,,:D:D

• Advertisement

Two '59s and one '60.

The first black Chevrolet was API795, he had owned this since the Sixties and eventually fell apart.
    He then bought CZA 174, a car that belonged originally to Seafield House in Donabate, and put the API plates onto it. His original car was broken up at his home in Glenageary.

Here is the 1960 car plus spares which obviously were the remains of the original API 795.

dsc00554 12.jpg

dsc00555 12.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

Two '59s and one '60.

Even a "littler" (!) known fact , he probably had 4 cars , 3 '59s + 1 '60;
    lots of bits from another '59 were stored in the '60:)

airnwater wrote: »

As far as I know the '59 bits that were in the '60 were API795!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

thanks for putting up those pics. that car brings back memories,,:D:D

That brings back memories for me as well from my Dart travelling days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Just a thought but do any of those cars still exist?

DaveCol wrote: »
    Just a thought but do any of those cars still exist?

one of the 59 belair chevys is alive and in good old order 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

If the Dodge van is still around I know of someone looking for an american cargo van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There must have been a lot of those chevrolets sold here as many of them were turned into hearses. I remember seeing a car similiar to this in the Killarney museum before it closed. I was wondering what happened to the car in the garden? I think I prefer the dramatic ''batmobile'' look of the 59 than the 60.

Two '59s and one '60.

Attached few pics taken of the same ' 59 & ' 60 in the same location ,taken in the mid ' 90s ,some 10+ years after those great 1984 shots.

No doubt Toyota anoraks can date the Corolla in the traffic !

Definitely there were 3 ' 59s & 1 ' 60 ;

- The filler laden ' 59 , API

- A very good ' 59 in the garage beside the house ( almost definitely the ex Killarney museum car & the car which another poster admired recently )

- A ' 59 which had been broken up , note the headlight chromes in the ' 60 rear window & also the front wings + doors + radiator mount panel + bumper ,etc left beside the ' 60 in that ' 84 shot.

It's somewhat sad to compare the ' 60 after 10+ years sitting in the same place , the greenery has grown substantially & the red bricks supporting
    the towbar have broken & the body mounts have rotted allowing the body to sink over the chassis . I suspect it was quite a good car when originally parked in the ' 70s ( ? ) but the owner obviously preferred ' 59 s !

MID '90s ;

chev59mid90s-1.jpg

chev60rearmid90s.jpg

below 1984

chev6084.jpg

' 59 parts beside ' 60

chev60842.jpg

• Advertisement

.....the greenery has grown substantially...

Those conifers sure do grow if you don't trim them in time :D

That only dark green metallic '67 Pontiac that I remember was a Catalina. It was painted red in later years and owned by Gerry Doyle in Saggart.

The Dodge van was later painted satin black and faded to grey over the years- I have attached a pic of both cars.

@ Capri , as this thread went OT ( in a good way !) & your original query was
    somewhat overlooked , presumably the pic Kevin Herron posted is the car ??

@ Capri , as this thread went OT ( in a good way !) & your original query was
    somewhat overlooked , presumably the pic Kevin Herron posted is the car ??

YEEEEEESSSSSS , the van is defo the one, the Catalina looks like a soft-top ? But the model is correct !!! I can now get my Portrane release papers signed now that I've proved I wasn't dreaming :D:D:D:D

Amazing what belief and insanity can achieve - now to sell my other yokes and focus on REAL cars ( V8's over 5L !!! )

The Judge had a few Chevrolets

The first black '59 Chevrolet was API795, he had owned this since the Sixties
    He then bought CZA 174, a car that belonged originally to Seafield House in Donabate,

- A very good ' 59 in the garage beside the house ( almost definitely the ex Killarney museum car & the car which another poster admired recently )

ie CZA 174

chev59eveningpressadvert1984approx1500.jpg

By chance found this cutting from c. 1984 Evening Press small ads

( before donedeal there was buy & sell & before that was the Evening Press )

Almost definitely CZA 174 ,price £1500 & sold quickly afaik ,to the judge presumably :)

The Judge had a few Chevrolets

The first black '59 Chevrolet was API795, he had owned this since the Sixties
    He then bought CZA 174, a car that belonged originally to Seafield House in Donabate,

ie CZA 174

chev59eveningpressadvert1984approx1500.jpg

By chance found this cutting from c. 1984 Evening Press small ads

( before donedeal there was buy & sell & before that was the Evening Press )

Almost definitely CZA 174 ,price £1500 & sold quickly afaik ,to the judge presumably :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement