Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Never mind the dole scroungers and the bankers

• 06-03-2012 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Ive been wondering for quite sometime now why nobody is bashing this and its about time somebody did. There is an industry where you are allowed run your business into the ground and have the government pick up the tab because for some reason its important to keep this business going in a pile of mismanaged little businesses than one big juggernaut of a company .
    Im talking about farming subsidies and people refusing to sell their land because its their history and the government paying subsidies to these people to keep going even though they are sitting on millions of quid worth of land. Im sure a corporation would love to buy up all the farms in Ireland and run them like a well oiled machine. But the government is paying for any old farmer to run a couple of inefficient acres into the ground.
    These people are basically sitting on millions worth of land and are getting the very same as dole , just called a different name.
    Some of them get paid to not grow anything . Its madness.
    These people collecting this will sit there and call people on the dole scroungers , and yet they can waste away their time at their little hobby and have the government pick up the tab.
    If a taxi man tries to sign on the dole he can be told to sell his plate.
    These boyos are told no worries and even have the cheek to go to Dublin protesting about not getting enough .
    Id love to start a shop that sold coats for ferrets and squirrels but for some reason the government wont subsidise me running my business into the ground . I have lots of ideas like a unicorn hat shop , but for some reason my tin pot business doesnt get a grant and yet these lads trying to make a living of farming which they cant are told carry on the taxpayer will foot the bill .
    Sometimes I wish I was a farmer or a fisherman . Then again my legs dont look too good in wellies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

For some reason I can see this ending up as Dublin v Rest of Ireland and that can never end well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wish I had some wellies now. I appear to be knee deep in bullshit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Gets the pop corn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Is it very damp and cold under that bridge of yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

patwicklow wrote: »
    Gets the pop corn...
    Get me some too Pat, this should be good for a laugh!:D

• Advertisement

We do need care takers of our green land and its hardly worth millions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Won't get any farmers responding tonight OP. T'is lambing time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

strangers crazy people have a habit of falling into bog-holes around here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If subsidies were abolished and you were asked to pay the real price of food it'd you that would be complaining OP, not the farmers ;)
    Subsidies are keeping prices low for you

Well you have options OP, go buy your disease ridden Brazilian beef with zero traceability if you don't want anything to do with Irish produce

Go buy your litre of milk down your local shop OP
    Of that the farmer gets a fraction, the dairy gets another cut and the retailer who does not even stack the shelves or handle the milk gets the majority of it. Not bad, don't even touch the milk carton and you earn more then the farmer who produced it.
    Go look who realy is making money from you.

And what farmer owns land worth millions??
    Land is worth just a few thousand per acre, you'd have one of the largest farms in your province if your land was worth millions.
    The days of selling sites to developers are pretty much gone
    And nobody gets rich from CPO contracts from the government.
    Won't get any farmers responding tonight OP. T'is lambing time :)

Farmers never sleep and see everything :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

cloptrop wrote: »
    Ive been wondering for quite sometime now why nobody is bashing this and its about time somebody did. There is an industry where you are allowed run your business into the ground and have the government pick up the tab because for some reason its important to keep this business going in a pile of mismanaged little businesses than one big juggernaut of a company .
    Im talking about farming subsidies and people refusing to sell their land because its their history and the government paying subsidies to these people to keep going even though they are sitting on millions of quid worth of land. Im sure a corporation would love to buy up all the farms in Ireland and run them like a well oiled machine. But the government is paying for any old farmer to run a couple of inefficient acres into the ground.
    These people are basically sitting on millions worth of land and are getting the very same as dole , just called a different name.
    These people collecting this will sit there and call people on the dole scroungers , and yet they can waste away their time at their little hobby and have the government pick up the tab.
    These boyos are told no worries and even have the cheek to go to Dublin protesting about not getting enough .
    Id love to start a shop that sold coats for ferrets and squirrels but for some reason the government wont subsidise me running my business into the ground . I have lots of ideas like a unicorn hat shop , but for some reason my tin pot business doesnt get a grant and yet these lads trying to make a living of farming which they cant are told carry on the taxpayer will foot the bill .
    Sometimes I wish I was a farmer or a fisherman . Then again my legs dont look too good in wellies.

Yer talking shoite

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

All true though!
    And while the majority of us are struggling big time, the farmers are doing very well.
    Besides the pharma-chem industry farming is the big winner at the moment.

Normally you'll hear farmers moaning a lot.
    They are very quiet at the moment.
    A sure sign that they are milking it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

In terms of large corporate farms, the U.S. has shown often they end up being subsidised by the government anyway.

eth0 wrote: »
    Yer talking shoite

Slurry, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Go on Google Earth and look at some nations farmland, Notice how the fields are way bigger and appear well organised, Then look at the old maps of Ireland on OSI and compare them to today, Hardly any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Farmers! i knew it was them. Even when i knew it was the bankers, I knew it was them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

In terms of large corporate farms, the U.S. has shown often they end up being subsidised by the government anyway.

Supermassive farms like that are bad news. They come up with all sorts of new ways to destroy the environment for short term profit and cause unemployment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Subsidies will probably be reduced eventually as the demand and price of food rises. The only thing is there is little money these days in small farms which are abundant in Ireland so subsidies will probably remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Can you give some examples please, perhaps a rough figure on what farmers and fishermen are costing this country versus the income and employment generated from agriculture and fishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Cloptrop, your post reflects your username. I love these ill informed rants. Clearly you don't discern what food you consume or appreciate those that produce it.

The subsidies you speak of aren't there to line the pockets of the farmer, rather to protect and sustain the countryside and make the local production of high quality food sustainable.

To obtain these the farmer must apply and conform to a range of measures imposed by REPS. it is not an easy thing to get, you must jump through hoops and be open to inspections and constant hard grafting.
    Read up on it!!

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/ruralenvironmentprotectionschemereps/overviewofreps/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fisherman is hardly a safe job in fairness considering the amount of lives lost the last few years of our coasts farming is anything but a safe job either considering the amounts of accidents that happen on farms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

dirtyden wrote: »
    Can you give some examples please, perhaps a rough figure on what farmers and fishermen are costing this country versus the income and employment generated from agriculture and fishing.
    Youd have to ask a farmer for the figures as far as I know the scale at which a farmers subsidies goes on isnt published , I think the EU were trying to get it published or something , I just got netflix tonight so I wont be going researching all night to find these out.
    If the farmere says that the reason for the subsidies is to keep the prices down he is fooling only himself. If you cant make a chicken at the same price of a polish chicken why should my tax money fund you . Stop scrounging and get out and get a job thats what I say .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

OP hasn't a clue and is just Trolling..
    Farms are just starting to make a profit rather than minting it in..
    Farmers also fully realise that the current price bubble will not last, while they are "making hay while the sun shines" they know prices are unlikely to last..

Most ordinary farmers would like to see all subs gone from the market, however me thinks OP and others ignorant to the facts wouldn't like to pay the actual market price for produce..

OP would be happy to move to large factory farms where profit above quality, animal welfare and final product quality is the goal... Having been on such farms in the states I'd rather see the countryside planted and grown over than move to that process... your post was idiotic at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Youd have to ask a farmer for the figures as far as I know the scale at which a farmers subsidies goes on isnt published , I think the EU were trying to get it published or something , I just got netflix tonight so I wont be going researching all night to find these out.
    If the farmere says that the reason for the subsidies is to keep the prices down he is fooling only himself. If you cant make a chicken at the same price of a polish chicken why should my tax money fund you . Stop scrounging and get out and get a job thats what I say .

So you are actually admitting your post is just an uniformed and unresearched rant?

Put down that shovel and stop digging a hole for yourself.
    You don't know what your talking about.

Anything good on netflix?:)

bbam wrote: »
    OP hasn't a clue and is just Trolling..
    Farms are just starting to make a profit rather than minting it in..
    Farmers also fully realise that the current price bubble will not last, while they are "making hay while the sun shines" they know prices are unlikely to last..

Most ordinary farmers would like to see all subs gone from the market, however me thinks OP and others ignorant to the facts wouldn't like to pay the actual market price for produce..

OP would be happy to move to large factory farms where profit above quality, animal welfare and final product quality is the goal... Having been on such farms in the states I'd rather see the countryside planted and grown over than move to that process... your post was idiotic at best.

Animal welfare? you grow them and eat them ,dont start giving it all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Lets not forget they work/are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year..I'd like to see a dole scrounger or banker do that!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

HA HA HA Tough **** buddy. :D Farming is great.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Put down that shovel and stop digging a hole for yourself.
    You don't know what your talking about.

Anything good on netflix?:)

What subsidies are available for hole digging .
    Netflix is great

What subsidies are available for hole digging .
    Netflix is great

No subsidies for hole digging just a fine or jail..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055672868

• Advertisement

I reckon we have now covered every walk of life in the great bid to blame absolutely everyone in Ireland for the recession and the state of the country.

Might as well close down boards.ie now and we'll all go back to our boring old lives.

Unless we've forgotten somebody, have we????

I reckon we have now covered every walk of life in the great bid to blame absolutely everyone in Ireland for the recession and the state of the country.

Might as well close down boards.ie now and we'll all go back to our boring old lives.

What about those pesky kids?:D

They're the real cause of this mess:p

I blame Bertie yea Bertie and co. the bollix

micropig wrote: »
    What about those pesky kids?:D

They're the real cause of this mess:p

Scoobydooooooo,the little bastards!

Let me think...em we've blamed

Immigrants
    Refugees
    Single Mothers
    Single Fathers
    The Unemployed (AKA Dole Scroungers)
    Politicians (in fairness though, that's probably a bit accurate)
    Priests
    Vicars
    Bankers (see Politicians)
    Estate Agents
    Brokers
    Investors
    Bond Holders (again see Politicians)
    Students
    The Public Sector (including Nurses, Gardai, Social Workers, Teachers...)
    Journalists

Not an extensive list of who is getting the blame

We've yet to blame
    Dentists
    Pharmacists
    Traffic Wardens (although they do tend to get their own threads)
    Electricians
    Carpenters
    You can see where I'm going with this, so there is a few professions we're not blaming, but give it time Gerry, give it time!

Edit: Sh1t, forgot to add farmers to the top list, given the thread... oops my bad!

Yea you see I got a bit pissed off with the fact that most of the single mother , dole scrounger etc bashing is done by the farmers , so I said enough is enough . Its just as much the farmers fault as the dole cheats single mothers etc they are all costing the government around the same I reckon .

• Advertisement

Added to your list..

Farmers
    Immigrants
    Refugees
    Single Mothers
    Single Fathers
    Priests
    Vicars
    Estate Agents
    Brokers
    Investors
    Students
    Journalists
    People who bought houses

We've yet to blame
    Dentists
    Pharmacists
    Electricians
    Carpenters
    Plumbers

![/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

How could you forget the good old property developers?

Yea you see I got a bit pissed off with the fact that most of the single mother , dole scrounger etc bashing is done by the farmers , so I said enough is enough . Its just as much the farmers fault as the dole cheats single mothers etc they are all costing the government around the same I reckon .

Ever thought what the government has cost the people?

Added to your list..
    People who bought houses

Ah yeah, them fcukers... fecking ruination of the country, :mad::mad::mad:

TirEoghain wrote: »
    How could you forget the good old property developers?

Sh1t. Them feckers were just hiding in plain sight

DOH!!!!

• Advertisement

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Let me think...em we've blamed

Immigrants
    Refugees
    Single Mothers
    Single Fathers
    Priests
    Vicars
    Estate Agents
    Brokers
    Investors
    Students
    Journalists

Not an extensive list of who is getting the blame

We've yet to blame
    Dentists
    Pharmacists
    Electricians
    Carpenters
    You can see where I'm going with this, so there is a few professions we're not blaming, but give it time Gerry, give it time!

Edit: Sh1t, forgot to add farmers to the top list, given the thread... oops my bad!

And the Romans, yes the Romans, what have the Romans ever done for us????

Sh1t. Them feckers were just hiding in plain sight

DOH!!!!

I though I had seen them on the list:(, they always do the disappearing act when blame is being handed out

Ah yeah, them fcukers... fecking ruination of the country, :mad::mad::mad:
    They should be shot! Imagine the cheek of wanting to put a roof over your families heads!

I though I had seen them on the list:(, they always do the disappearing act when blame is being handed out

Yeah them too :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Lets start a witch hunt and kill all the Romans...

Oh, hang on wait... that's exactly what this is :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Bakers!
    The breakfast roll was to blame for our demise.

Bakers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Yeah, take the land off those feckin' farmers and give it to the banks. They'll know how to take proper care of it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just as long as they don't take my bit of land. Maybe they'll leave me alone, because I don't get the dole.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Not bad, don't even touch the milk carton and you earn more then the farmer who produced it.

And here I was thinking cows produce the milk!

Bakers!

Yeah, cos they made us broke and unhealthy putting a burden on the state...

I also forgot to mention RTE, the bastids, robbing us for the license fee

I'm getting mad, I need comfort food, and few sausages on a bap with loadsa butter will be grand :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Animal welfare? you grow them and eat them ,dont start giving it all that.

I see...
    Your one of those !!

It's all becoming very clear now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement