Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into counselling

• 06-03-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi Y'all,

Looking for advice... I'm about to hand in my Thesis, its based in technology. I'm looking for a way to get some counselling skills under my belt... with the possibly of becoming a counsellor down the line.

I want to do it the PSI route as I believe you are best sticking with an official organisation. I'm currently registered with Engineers Ireland etc.

I'm asking the forum, has any one done this before, whats the preferred route, and just for kicks I'm currently unemployed so finances are a little on the low side...

Thanks in advance...
    N

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

The PSI are for psychologists. That means one has to have a degree in psychology before training in counselling. I suggest doing a search of the forum as we have talked about counselling options innumerable times.

Generally doing a foundation certificate in counselling is a good way to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Would you recommend any good foundation courses? or where is good at teaching, this type of course... am I best sticking with the university or going down the private college route...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

For foundation courses there aren't many options at university level. UCD has a 1 year higher diploma, but that's €4-5k. In Dublin DCU have, or had, some manner of access foundation course. I am not aware of TCD having any such course.

Really, such courses are just tasters. There is a lot of personal development, some theory, and skills training. To my mind there is little need to do it at university level.

Private colleges which do fine ones include Turning Point, IICP, PCI, Tivoli now offer a live one as opposed to their online one. I'm sure there are others which are fine.

Advertisement