Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

faded grey makeup by end of afternoon

• 06-03-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi ladies..

I've been wearing make up since i was 15. I'm now approaching 40 now (god, i still can't believe it!!)

Anyway, I am a make up junkie and also can be persuaded by any advert or sales assistant to buy almost anything! Hence i have a wardrobe full of stuff.

Now, my skin of late is looking dreadful. No breakouts, but starting to get a few noticeble eye lines, dark rings under eyes looking really purple, my skin is looking grey and dirty with make up by end of the day.

Skincare wise - i wash my face before i go to bed and usually use cleanser and toner and now sometimes a night cream or face oil.

Daytime i have a moisturiser and eye cream.

I've been using a sand beige make up for years so that has not changed. Concealer seems to have disappeared within an hour or two. My mascara / eye pencil (both waterproof) seem to be running and sticking to the under eye areas.

If i approach a make up counter in a store i will end up adding more products to my ever growing collection....

I was thinking maybe of a microderm abrasion thing.

Really feeling old and ugly. My self confidence is slowly going down the pan... I dread going out at weekends because I look so ugly.
    So any ideas? :)

thanks

me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Everyone's make up routine could use a shake up sometimes so don't worry! Also remember your skin's needs change over time so you need to adjust your routine to that as well! You also need to be consistent with your skincare routine and cleanse and moisturise properly every night.

Liz Earle and Sanctuary do similar great products so consider getting either of their hot cloth cleanser and hydrating masks to really see a difference in your skin.

A nice face serum can really help as well, I've been using ones by A'Kin and Antipodes and they're all natural and really help your skin out, from hydration, tone and fine lines.

In terms of make up you need a good primer and a new foundation/concealer.

Gosh and L'Oreal do great reasonably priced primers or if you're looking for a brightening primer Shu Uemura are great and have a new brightening primer coming out soon.

I just got Lancome Teint Miracle foundation and I think this or their newer foundation could be good for you. Go in, ask them to put it on you and they say you need to walk around with it and see how it wears and fairs in natural light before you purchase.

Collection 2000 do lovely concealers which don't dry out the under eye area.

With all these a primer is key though!:)

Don't be afraid to go in and try on products before you buy though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

Hi there,

While you may have a wardrobe full of products, your routine does need to be adapted to changes in your skin.

For your make up, the foundation you wore 10 years ago might not suit you now so go for a creamier more moisturising foundation. Bobbi Brown, Lancome, Estee Lauder and Chanel all have great foundations in my opinion. Don't be afraid to ask for samples and don't be pressurised by pushy sales assistants! Primer is also key here. I like Clarins one and L'oreal do a good dupe for cheaper. You can get primer for under your eyeshadow to stop your make up running- mac or urban decay primer potion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 beautybrains

Why not try calling into your local salon, ask them for a skin analysis and to perscribe some products for your skin type and condition. Explain to them the products your using at the moment and what is bothering you about your skin. Do not buy anything without trying it out. Get some samples, go home try them out. Decide which you like and what you feel is actually benifiting your skin. If you can't decide, go back and ask them for eithier more samples of the same, or else explain you didn't feel any of the benifited you and you would like to try something else. The most important products for you at this age are an exfoliater, this will help remove any dead skin cells and also aid in skin renewal by bringing more oxygen and nutrients to the area. A good mosturizer to keep the skin hydrated. A good cleanser, especially if your wearing make up daily you want to make sure its all cleansed of when your going to bed at night. And who could forget the trust worthy eye cream. I believe if you take good care of your skin thats 50% of your battle won. In regards to the make up problem I'm on board with the girls above reccomending a good primer, but dont be fooled just beacuse a product costs more dosn't mean its better. The Gosh primer is the best I've found for value its 18.99, and honestly by appling your primer you only have to use 1/3 of the normal amount of foundation you would normally used. So realisticly the primer is going to pay for its self in the end. Plus you'l be amaze by how silky smooth your skin will feel. I would try stay away from products such as Clinique, I know alot of people sware by it but I personally believe and I know im not alone on this one but it very very harsh on the skin. Like whys with Elizabeth Arden Flawless finish, yes it gives amazing results but after to hours its blotchy and all over the place.
    Honestly I cant reccomend a conclear as Im still on a search (4years now) for one that actually works!
    Boujour kohl eyeliner is an amazing product that dosn't run. If that dosn't work you can try applying eyeshadow under the eye for an eyeliner effect. If all comes to all.

Hope something here helps, feels like I've been typing forever :P
    Would love to know how you get on.
    I hope you feel better in yourself soon, just remember everyone has there bad days, you just need a pick me up :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I find a bit of fake tan on my face helps give it a glow when its looking dull. not a lot, just a little bit mixed with my face cream at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 its_me10

Thanks SmokeyEyes! Really appreciated yr response. I read it last night and took myself into boots today - alas no sanctuary - but girl there did suggest another hot muslin / cleanser combo. So being a junkie i bought that! Oh and a body scrub too.. (like I needed that! Lol!)

So giving that a try this eve to see what it's like....

Interesting u mentioned primer as I bought smash box primer a good few months ago. NO idea how to use it or how much to use or where...

I'm just finishing off a bottle of loreal foundation do when that's done. I think I'll take you on the idea of trying out different ones. Think your right... I need a shake up!

Thanks again... I'll keep u posted. ðŸ’

• Advertisement

Thanks missy moo!

Have u ever tried clarins makeup? Is it a creamier version of foundation? Ab love their stuff..

Also do u use primer in eye area??

Beautybrains - thanks for your reply... Means a lot that everyone took time out to reply to me.... A great pick me up!!

Interesting you say about a salon. Would they not just sell one brand (yonka or dermologica or whatever). Bit worried I'd get sucked in and buy the lot !!! Have u ever tried the salon route?

Any recommendations for a good exfoliator?? Any here ever used a clarins one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Try out the Smashbox primer and see how you fair, it's one that either people love or hate because there's a lot of silicone in it and it can break some people out!

Use it sparingly on the face, concentrating on places where your skin gets oilier, I tend to use mine all over and even on my eyelids to help keep shadow/liner in place although you can get very good eye primers separate (Urban Decay, Two Faced)

If you do find it's good stick to it, if not I'd invest an hour or two wandering around trying different ones out!

I'd also suggest trying a gel liner rather than a pencil as they last really well!

Advertisement