Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny Taxi charges

Options
  • 07-03-2012 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

A friend was charged €15 from Silver Tassie back to Letterkenny bus station. Does anyone know if that is normal or was he overcharged? I think it seems excessive.
    Not starting anti taxi thread just need to know if fares have gone up that much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

€45 from Letterkenny to Ballybofey two years ago, I was on my own. €15 seems excessive. Too many cabs & not enough business could be the reason why OP, plus the increase on running costs, petrol etc. I can only imagine that taxi's are finding it very tough to stay in business

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

€10 is standard charge from Tassie to town, your friend was over charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I got one from the mountain top to the town one saturday night, the meter was at 9 euro by the time he got to outside Milan so we jumped out, rip-off. I phone for a set price one since. 5/6 euro anywhere in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Between €9 and €13 according to the fare calculator, assuming it was during the day and there were no extra passengers.

http://taxiregulation.nationaltransport.ie/for-users/tax-fare-calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

A Taxi driver tried to rip us off one night form the silver tassie into the town but seen as he couldn't provide us with a reciept because his printer was out of paper we didn't pay,and by law didn't have to pay either,handy tip to know ;)

• Advertisement

mk2 wrote: »
    A Taxi driver tried to rip us off one night form the silver tassie into the town but seen as he couldn't provide us with a reciept because his printer was out of paper we didn't pay,and by law didn't have to pay either,handy tip to know ;)
    Or you could have got a handwritten receipt with his name, reg, time, roofsign number etc. and report the matter to the taxi regulator if you felt you were being ripped off. If he refused, ask him to take you to the Garda station.

The bit in bold is false by the way. Taxi drivers are required to provide a printed receipt (hackneys and limos a handwritten one) but customers are also required to pay either the full metered fare or the agreed fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Where To wrote: »
    The bit in bold is false by the way. Taxi drivers are required to provide a printed receipt (hackneys and limos a handwritten one) but customers are also required to pay either the full metered fare or the agreed fare.
    More often than not there never is "an agreed fare" so in the instance mentioned above where the taxi driver couldn't give a receipt are you saying that the customer still has to pay?

muffler wrote: »
    More often than not there never is "an agreed fare" so in the instance mentioned above where the taxi driver couldn't give a receipt are you saying that the customer still has to pay?
    Yes, but ask the driver to give them a handwritten receipt with their details on it. If he refuses, call the Gardai. If you feel there is anything dodgy
    going on you can report the driver to the taxi regulator.

Pubs are required to give receipts also but I've yet to receive either a receipt or a free pint in my local.:p

Where To wrote: »
    Or you could have got a handwritten receipt with his name, reg, time, roofsign number etc. and report the matter to the taxi regulator if you felt you were being ripped off. If he refused, ask him to take you to the Garda station.

He didn't argue with us,i said if he didn't give me a reciept i wouldn't pay he said that was fair enough and that was that,free taxi!

He didn't argue with us,i said if he didn't give me a reciept i wouldn't pay he said that was fair enough and that was that,free taxi!
    Sounds like he was dodgy alright. Does no harm in cases like that to take a note of the reg and roofsign number and driver ID number, you can check them online here, see if he is legal;

https://onlineregister.nationaltransport.ie/HomeVehicle.aspx

It could also be the case that if he was legit and the guards were called, it is highly likely they would instruct you to pay the fare and issue the driver with a €250 fixed penalty. Everybody loses (except the government :pac:).

EDIT;

forgot to add this link as it relates to OP also

http://taxiregulation.nationaltransport.ie/for-users/taxi-compliments-and-complaints/what-to-do-if-you-think-you-are-being-overcharged/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

bad karma though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

I always ask how much before i ring or jump in

bad karma though :pac:
    Not my bad he tried to over charge the wrong person.

Advertisement