Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever hear of Joseph Kony??

• 07-03-2012 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard of this monster. Truly shocking what he has been doing to children for 20 years or more.

http://vimeo.com/37119711

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Lord's Resistance Army fella. Hopefully he'll be brought to justice sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Someone should test out if he is bullet proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vonniec

Anybody interested in organising a kony night on the 20th of April!?

We could get all the major cities in on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This shít is all over my newsfeed on Facebook all of a sudden.

I really hope this does not end up forgotten like all the Darfur campaigns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Watching the YouTube vid right now, was all over my FB, pretty shocking stuff. Had never heard of him before today but hopefully this awareness campaign will be as big as they are saying it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Edz87 wrote: »
    I really hope this does not end up forgotten like all the Darfur campaigns.

It was forgotten a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

****sake, thought boards was less full of people learning to use the internet than facebook. Apparently not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I don't want to take some form of moral high horse here, but to people complaining about it flooding their desperately important news feed or the extent of the exposure of it suddenly on the internet take just 30 minutes out of your day to watch the video. There's a reason it has achieved so much attention and how it's following has suddenly exploded this evening alone in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

RMD wrote: »
    I don't want to take some form of moral high horse here, but to people complaining about it flooding their desperately important news feed or the extent of the exposure of it suddenly on the internet take just 30 minutes out of your day to watch the video. There's a reason it has achieved so much attention and how it's following has suddenly exploded this evening alone in Ireland.

I wasn't complaining when I mentioned it was all over my FB, just commenting on how I came across it. Watched the whole thing and hope that people will take some time out and do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

This is an amazing campaign! I had never heard of Kony until tonight and then BAM! Everyone in Ireland will know about him and his regime by the weekend, good to see social networking being used so positively!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I'm usually one of those people grumbling about Facebook twats going on about this cause and that, the words "raising awareness" will send me looking for the block/hide button. But this isn't just a 'change your facebook picture to a childhood cartoon you loved to raise awareness for child abuse' (wtf?).

Just take some time to watch the vid, if you don't care, then you don't care...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hope he gets caught and let rot in hell :mad:

Don't understand why we should need to campaign at all. If the governments were anyway decent, they shouldn't have to be told that we are all humans and they have the power to stop evil, sick people in the world and not worry so much about oil, money and shít... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ive heard of him before....some crazy ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,854 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Came on here to start a thread, really glad someone else has though (which means the word is spreading)!

Very interested in starting a Kony night on 20th April like the previous poster has suggested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What's the reason for having Kony night on April 20th? He a stoner or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

How come this guy is the big fish when countries have been killing men/women and children in Iraq and Afghanistan ec.

The US will wreck the lives of more people in a few years than this guy ever will.

A nice video with a nice kid in it.
    He could have put a nice kitten in there for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Dodd wrote: »
    How come this guy is the big fish when countries have been killing men/women and children in Iraq and Afghanistan ec.

The US will wreck the lives of more people in a few years than this guy ever will.

A nice video with a nice kid in it.
    He could have put a nice kitten in there for good measure.

Two wrongs don't make a right. The 'ah shur isn't everyone killing everyone anyway' attitude is how he's managed to get away with this for 26 years.

Can't believe he's not more prolific, I'd never heard of this until this evening. Pretty sickening when you think of the amount of crap we read every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I see Rhianna has latched on to it. #Kony2012 is officially cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

So - April 20th - What are we doing? Who's got the posters - where are we meeting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

This is an amazing campaign! I had never heard of Kony until tonight and then BAM! Everyone in Ireland will know about him and his regime by the weekend, good to see social networking being used so positively!:D
    And will have forgotten about him by Monday, the world is full of these guys, so long as they stay where they are no one really cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

This must be the reason Facebook is down in Europe.:mad:..big brother is watching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

facebook goes down, like a $2 hooker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Watch the movie Machine Gun Preacher, based on a true story involving Sudan/LRA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Watched some of the video. Usual "we care" people in America, but nothing about carpet bombing the place where Kony is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

There's Kony 2012 spam everywhere.

It's really annoying and disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He's no General Butt Naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I can't watch the video, at work, but I'm guessing he's a general in some sort of child soldier army? Sure they've been doing that stuff for years haven't they? Is there a particular reason it's big news all of a sudden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

token101 wrote: »
    I can't watch the video, at work, but I'm guessing he's a general in some sort of child soldier army? Sure they've been doing that stuff for years haven't they? Is there a particular reason it's big news all of a sudden?

When you watch the video you'll know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Religion eh. What a hoot!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

30 something posts in on this thread and all I know about the guy is his name.

So yeah... I've heard of him... that's about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

When you watch the video you'll know.

I had a quick look on Wikipedia, guy is an animal and needs to be put down asap. What's almost as disturbing is this:

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/10/15/rush_limbaugh_on_lords_resistance_army_obama_invades_uganda_targets_christians

This scumbag has the highest rated talk show in the USA (wiki stats, but I've no reason to disbelieve them) :confused: Is he a Bond villain or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Anybody got a tl:dw version of the video? Not really arsed committing half an hour to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Saw a film recently with Gerard Butler, Machine Gun Preacher, a true story about an ex-biker who goes over to build orphanages and gets into a war of sorts with Kony and the LRA.

Fairly crap film though :(

the_syco wrote: »
    Watched some of the video. Usual "we care" people in America, but nothing about carpet bombing the place where Kony is.

Thus wiping out the children he has captured?

Yeah. Brilliant plan there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Anybody got a tl:dw version of the video? Not really arsed committing half an hour to watch it.

The full effect of the video wont sink in without watching it. The quality of the information and it's effect from a source such as Wikipedia isn't the patch on the video. I normally couldn't give 2 shíts about these type of viral campaign, but in this case I genuinely encourage you to watch it. It is nothing short of amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's a pretty amazing video. Well put together with accurate information and it produces a powerful result. There's no place in the world for people like Kony in this day and age. I'm surprised it took so long for his name to hit the headlines.

Fair play to the producer for devoting so much time to this cause, it's a worth one. The power of social media today is pretty amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the power of social media would bew amazing if anything were actually done about this

you'll all have forgotten about kony by this time next week and even if america did decide to invade and put him on trial/kill him you'd all be out protesting against us imperialism

le shrug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

the power of social media would bew amazing if anything were actually done about this

you'll all have forgotten about kony by this time next week and even if america did decide to invade and put him on trial/kill him you'd all be out protesting against us imperialism

le shrug

So lets not try! I wonder what's on TV!

Did you miss the point in the video where the huge numbers of support is actually what made Obama deploy troops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

My computer is so slow loading so I have only seen about 3 minutes...I can tell I'm going to be crying by the end of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

smash wrote: »
    Did you miss the point in the video where the huge numbers of support is actually what made Obama deploy troops?

You can deploy troops all you like finding them in Gureilla territory is a different story, as long as kony stays in uganda and doesn't get above his station nothing will be done, FACT!

Good movie, but sadly it will be forgotten in a week, the only thing that will come of this is celebs jumping on the band wagon to look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Some black guy called Joe Kony who is a Ugandan guerrilla group leader who recruits child soldiers and kills a lot of innocent people.

Dymo wrote: »
    Some black guy called Joe Kony who is a Ugandan guerrilla group leader who recruits child soldiers abducts children and turns them into prostitutes and soldiers and kills a lot of innocent people.
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

token101 wrote: »
    I had a quick look on Wikipedia, guy is an animal and needs to be put down asap. What's almost as disturbing is this:

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/10/15/rush_limbaugh_on_lords_resistance_army_obama_invades_uganda_targets_christians

This scumbag has the highest rated talk show in the USA (wiki stats, but I've no reason to disbelieve them) :confused: Is he a Bond villain or what?

http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow

If you watch the 'extremely loud and incredibly gross' link that will further emphasize how much of a di*khead Rush Limbaugh is.

About the campaign, it would be great if it worked but I can't help but hold the view that if Kony were taken out, somebody else would just assume his role.

Nonetheless, I see no harm in supporting this campaign, and a lot has already been achieved by it. Hopefully the ambition will be achieved and this will make a significant difference to the lives of those suffering children in Uganda.

le shrug

Well - considering that Facebook and other social media sites spurned and spread the word of protests across the Middle East last year, then why shouldn't this work?

We live in an extraordinarily interesting time, where things are changing constantly around us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

New york has to be destroyed too. They have an island named after him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Can't watch video in public library, what did he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

That's just awful... I couldn't read any further that this..
    There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa.

I could go on and on about the faults in that blog because most paragraphs are arguable but I won't, it will take too long

• Advertisement
Advertisement