Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever hear of Joseph Kony??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Cork24 wrote: »
    Kony is dead this is an old campaign

I just googled that and there is nothing on his death. I don't know what to believe about this, if he is still alive I think the campaign is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Video at the below link, lol, what a nutter.

They are rolling out the "exhaustion, dehydration and malnutrition" excuse, which seems to be the go to explanation when people do stupid ****.

Not sure i believe that someone can really suffer that level of malnutrition or dehydration over the course of a couple of days.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/16/jason-russell-detained-after-alleged-meltdown_n_1354740.html
    44leto wrote: »
    I just googled that and there is nothing on his death. I don't know what to believe about this, if he is still alive I think the campaign is a good idea.

The campaign is a **** idea, anything that calls for military intervention from the West is a **** idea. Anything the gives even the tiniest credibility to the Ugandan Armed Services, who are themselves guilty of war crimes against their own populace, is a terrible idea.

It's a **** idea all round tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

LOL. George Clooney made his move to grab the news cycle today but Kony 2012 has struck back and raised the bar even higher. Your move now George...

The campaign is a **** idea, anything that calls for military intervention from the West is a **** idea. Anything the gives even the tiniest credibility to the Ugandan Armed Services, who are themselves guilty of war crimes against their own populace, is a terrible idea.

It's a **** idea all round tbh.

How, western intervention has worked, Yugoslavia, Siera Leone, the First Gulf war. recently Libya. What these have in common is they are post cold war. There are no longer proxy superpower conflicts in the world anymore just the hang ups such as Uganda and The Congo. Africa is at its most peaceful for decades. its one of the factors that is making that continent boom. The African Lions as investors are calling them.

I would wellcome any means of getting rid of this son of a bitch by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

How, western intervention has worked, Yugoslavia, Siera Leone, the First Gulf war. recently Libya. What these have in common is they are post cold war. There are no longer proxy superpower conflicts in the world anymore just the hang ups such as Uganda and The Congo. Africa is at its most peaceful for decades. its one of the factors that is making that continent boom. The African Lions as investors are calling them.

Warlords and Uganda are both synonymous and cyclical. Uganda needs to fix it's own **** and from what I have read, Ugandans seem to feel this way, so i'm not going to question their judgement on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Well if you feel so strongly about it, how about you go down there and sort them out?! I'm sure they would be only to happy with your voluntary services. You should never advocate sending military into foreign lands because something has irked you the wrong way.

Warlords and Uganda are both synonymous and cyclical. Uganda needs to fix it's own **** and from what I have read, Ugandans seem to feel this way, so i'm not going to question their judgement on it.

Warlords usually fix their **** by genocides, the only thing that would stop that is perhaps a UN intervention. Or a campaign like this when we all know who these warlords are. I think this is a good idea for the start of something new and interesting.

But I don't know, but it is a different approach, nobody heard of Kony to spite him being the most wanted man at the IC since 2002, perhaps this is another effect of the global new media. Its worth a try.

Again I say, I haven't being following thsi thread so I haven't heard the critics case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Edz87 wrote: »

You should check out a video called Kony 2012.

LOL another viral video, this will be bigger, I suppose it will further publicise the cause, but not in a good way, LOL

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    You should check out a video called Kony 2012.

I like the naked haka one better :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Karn Evil 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Also an exhibitionist it would seem:

Jason Russell arrested for drunken public masturbation.

Oh dear. Hope he wasn't thinking of Invisible Children at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

haha

how long were youtube comments disabled, only today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Apparently there's a video of him going mental and pounding a footpath while naked (with his hands, not his mickey.)

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/16/jason-russell-video-naked-meltdown-kony/#.T2P7GBHUNMV

There's the link, probably bullshít. Funny though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This Kony sh*t is getting weird now.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

This KONY 2012 bull**** is worse than the #occupy bull****. KONY has 300 soldiers now, he's not important. Let's say he did have power still, killing him doesn't do ****, he'll be replaced by a younger, more ambitious warlord.

Uganda isn't the only country with child soldiers either, have any of you heard of Liberia? Do you know about the **** that goes on there? Why is there no General Rambo 2012 movement? Why is there no General Bin Laden 2012 movement?

Has it occurred to you that the US government is behind this "charity"? Before you dismiss it, remember that this is the country that lied about the Tokin Gulf to go to war in Vietnam, and lied about WMDs to invade Iraq, starting a movement to arrest a warlord wouldn't be beyond these people.

Haelium wrote: »

This KONY 2012 bull**** is worse than the #occupy bull****. KONY has 300 soldiers now, he's not important. Let's say he did have power still, killing him doesn't do ****, he'll be replaced by a younger, more ambitious warlord.

Uganda isn't the only country with child soldiers either, have any of you heard of Liberia? Do you know about the **** that goes on there? Why is there no General Rambo 2012 movement? Why is there no General Bin Laden 2012 movement?

Has it occurred to you that the US government is behind this "charity"? Before you dismiss it, remember that this is the country that lied about the Tokin Gulf to go to war in Vietnam, and lied about WMDs to invade Iraq, starting a movement to arrest a warlord wouldn't be beyond these people.

300 is a lot and if you could rid the world of the leader of this particular 300, good riddance.

The IRA never really had more then 20 to 30 active members in the field probably less and why on Earth would the US want to invade Uganda, if you are a conspiracy nut, that country has oil but not a lot, not even enough for its own domestic market.

It may not be the only country with child soldiers, but if this campaign is successful perhaps other budding warlords will be more reluctant to use them. I don't know, but this is at least a start of a different social network campaign using the new media, I think it is a good thing.

And from a successful western intervention (mainly British) Sierra Leone is at peace and it is a fledgling democracy. It's first PM, post civil war era, was a woman, Mary Musa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

It may not be the only country with child soldiers, but if this campaign is successful perhaps other budding warlords will be more reluctant to use them. I don't know, but this is at least a start of a different social network campaign using the new media, I think it is a good thing.

I don't think a highly manipulative video, which has plainly distorted truths is a good thing. It is not the start of any "new" social media campaign, it is the same old propaganda tricks updated for use on the web.

• Advertisement

V_Moth wrote: »
    I don't think a highly manipulative video, which has plainly distorted truths is a good thing. It is not the start of any "new" social media campaign, it is the same old propaganda tricks updated for use on the web.

I wouldn't call it propaganda, the video has served a great purpose, it has opened debate about child soldiers and it has put a criminal in the public eye.
    It may not be the start of social media campaigns, but it is the start of this type of one. At least I never seen it before. Be honest did you know Josef Kony before this vid, did you know he is number one most wanted war criminal with the international court since 2002.

I didn't, this campaign has been outstanding in it's success, even if it is bulll**** it served a higher purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

number one most wanted war criminal with the international court since 2002.

The US won't even sign up to the ICC statute, maybe they should start a campaign on that.

benway wrote: »
    The US won't even sign up to the ICC statute, maybe they should start a campaign on that.

They have their reasons, I wouldn't either if I was them, because their government may face some indictments, but perhaps another day.

They aren't the only ones there are bigger fish then the US, as in countries with records of more abuses to human rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ICC_member_states_world_map.png

They have their reasons, I wouldn't either if I was them, because their government may face some indictments, but perhaps another day.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, as my granddad used to say. If their record is so clean, why don't they sign up?

Kinda undermines their moral authority just a little ... it's almost as if they're looking for an opportunity to establish a larger military presence in the region. For some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Also an exhibitionist it would seem:

Jason Russell arrested for drunken public masturbation.

I knew something about this was rubbing me the wrong way

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, as my granddad used to say. If their record is so clean, why don't they sign up?

Kinda undermines their moral authority just a little ... it's almost as if they're looking for an opportunity to establish a larger military presence in the region. For some reason.
    Their record is not clean and there are things they have to do and have done to maintain their position of dominance.

Besides this is not an American government campaign this is a grass roots campaign. This is a group of people who have a vote campaigning their government to do something.

Think logically, do you think for 6 seconds the American administration wants to get involved in a country which it has little to no interests and the same applies for George Clooney's baby Darfur.

Do you want to live in a world were everyone ignores atrocities on the grounds that they are an independent states, so let them sort it. Think about that and then imagine (lets say) the fate of the Bosnians or the Kosovans during the break up of Yugoslavia

• Advertisement

Do you want to live in a world were everyone ignores atrocities on the grounds that they are an independent states, let them sort it. Think about that and then imagine (lets say) the fate of the Bosnians or the Kosovans during the break up of Yugoslavia

I want to live in a world where worthy causes aren't allowed to become co-opted for sinister goals.

Don't forget that the scramble for Africa in the late 19th century was supposedly driven by philanthropic and humanitarian motives, with King Leopold of Belgium at the helm. And didn't that go so well?

4.5 million people were killed by warfare in the Congo in the last decade, the bloodiest since the second world war, but we didn't see calls for "humanitarian intervention", because the western world was looking elsewhere, and because western governments had their own proxies doing their dirty work, securing access to Congo's mineral wealth, so they didn't feel the need to become directly involved.

Proxies like Museveni's Uganda.

I want to live in a world where worthy causes aren't allowed to become co-opted for sinister goals.

Don't forget that the scramble for Africa in the late 19th century was supposedly driven by philanthropic and humanitarian motives, with King Leopold of Belgium at the helm. And didn't that go so well?

4.5 million people were killed by warfare in the Congo in the last decade, the bloodiest since the second world war, but we didn't see calls for "humanitarian intervention", because the western world was looking elsewhere, and because western governments had their own proxies doing their dirty work, securing access to Congo's mineral wealth, so they didn't feel the need to become directly involved.

Proxies like Museveni's Uganda.

And that is how wars were fought then, proxy wars by the superpowers and the western world was looking at a very viable threat in the form of a superpower the soviet union. So they done that right, as the cold war never went hot and it ended peacefully.

But proxy wars were fought from Africa, Asia and South America. But there is no cold war now, Asia, South America and believe it or not Africa are enjoying an extended period of peace, there are only 4 war situations in Africa now, 1 in South America and non in Asia. All these places economically are booming, Ethiopia is now the bread basket of northern Africa and grew by 8%, bet you never thought you would see that. As is the rest of Africa, the biggest economic growth figure achieved by any nation last year was Ghana at 13%, Nigeria is growing as well and may soon be a BRIC+N country.

My point is as long as the cold war was happening this never would have happened. So now there is an opportunity and why not start with Kony. It seems an easy start.

But there is no cold war now, Asia, South America and believe it or not Africa are enjoying an extended period of peace,

Whatever about the rest of it, which is dubious to say the least, 4.5 million killed by warfare in the past decade and a bit, as well as those falling prey to disease and malnutrition on account of the devastation caused ... that doesn't seem much like an extended period of peace to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Tonight is the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

for???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Is anyone even doing this?

I think it won't live up to the way it's portrayed on the video, where every major city is littered with the Kony posters and stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

People finally realise its bullsh!t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

krudler wrote: »
    for?

Jackin' it in San Diago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

robman60 wrote: »
    Is anyone even doing this?

I think it won't live up to the way it's portrayed on the video, where every major city is littered with the Kony posters and stickers.
    Everyone's probably forgotten about him already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Anti Nowhere League

So F*cking What!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Never watched that Kony video wasnt wasting half an hour on it. waht was meant to happen on tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Never watched that Kony video wasnt wasting half an hour on it. waht was meant to happen on tonight?
    They were going to try to beam him back to his home planet of Klaxxor, if I remember the video correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

They probably regret setting the date for this so far in the future now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Video expired and I have no recollection of the information it contained. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

The whole thing blew over within a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Too little and Way to late.

Maybe if they did something in 2006 it might have been relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Started watching it after I came back from the pub just when it was released. Got sick of the sight of the lad presenting it. Seemed like a clown showing off his son the whole time. I'm sure the intentions were good but I was bored, tired and drunk. Never bothered watching it again.

I reckon 99% of the people who watched it couldn't care less about Kony any more. It's really just another of the internet sensations. Up there with Rebecca Black and any other 15 minute star of youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i remember everyone going on and on about that a while back. i couldn't really give a toss at the time. what was it about and what was suppose to happen today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Namlub wrote: »
    They probably regret setting the date for this so far in the future now...

Yep. They didn't expect ridiculously photogenic guy, bad luck brian, lawyer dog and tupac hologram to steal their limelight. And the cats. Mustn't forget the cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Wasn't the presenter arrested for being pissed and having a **** in public?

Or am I completely off topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Wasn't the presenter arrested for being pissed and having a **** in public?

Or am I completely off topic....

I heard that too, any truth to it?

Ah jaysis I couldn't care less.

*goes to change Facebook profile picture to cartoon character to WIPE OUT CHILD ABUSE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

ya he was.... kony left the country anyway Years ago haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Yeah man, let's raise awareness about a guy who hasn't been in Uganda for the past 6 years to support US military intervention in Africa. This has nothing to do with China's growing influence in Africa, we swear.

Advertisement