Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever hear of Joseph Kony??

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

I'm sure the intentions were good.
    They weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Plz remove this thread, or move it to the politics thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Rough breakdown of events that I know of. I've added bullet points and everything;
    • Video made for campaign by guy who partook in lectures to fundamental Christians on how to manipulate non believers to your cause.
    • Their (Invisible Children's) back catalogue of films was quite cult-like and for the most part completely unassociated with the cause, not to mention very expensive to produce. Charlie Brooker describes far better than I.
    • The Kony 2012 video becomes one of the most successful viral videos of all time.
    • Part of the purpose of the video is to sell action kits to further highlight the movement.
    • The reputability of the filmmakers is understandably called in to question by the internet. It's revealed that only around 30% of money raised is going to Uganda - a significant amount of which is going to Ugandan officials.
    • It's also shown as common knowledge that Kony has been on the run out of Uganda for years and is likely living in exile with a very small following and is of little threat.
    • Normal Ugandans themselves are offended by the campaign as they feel it belittles their potential to deal with their own problems. A commentary I thought was great.
    • Aljazeera run public showings of the video in Uganda that ends in riots because of the misperceptions and belittling of the Ugandan people.
    • Invisible Children come under a lot of scrutiny, against which they don't do great at upholding their image.
    • The main guy is arrested for public indecency in the middle of the day.
    • Following this embarrassment, the whole campaign becomes largely forgotten by the public.
    • Don't know much after that except for lawyer dog, ridiculously photogenic guy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Akarinn wrote: »
    Plz remove this thread, or move it to the politics thread.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

So, it had 12 billion* veiws on youtube, and we cant find ANYONE on AH that has seen it, and remembers it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I'd say there are still a few people who are going to do this "Cover The Night" thing...despite all the facts about this pretty much fake charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

I kept hearing about "Kony" so much. Especially on youtube so I decided to watch it with my brother one night. We stopped it just around 7 minutes into it.

Now I do not speak as someone who has researched the topic of Kony alot. But the reasons why I + my bro stopped watching was because the creator of the video, Jason Russell, was clearly trying to 'sell' himself. In my opinion to get exposure and not ot mention make money. The 'kits' arent about awareness. They are sadly 'merchandise'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

CATCH TONY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Dont'cha just love lawyer dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I know what i usually do on 4/20 but it has nothing to do with Kony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This will fail miserably, the guy didnt just blow his foot off with his stupidness, but all credibility for this went with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

No need Bob Geldof is going to kill him...all he needs is a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Vudgie wrote: »
    No need Bob Geldof is going to kill him...all he needs is a gun.

i'll supply one if he promised to shoot bono too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

''i supposed to go to a kony 2012 stuff today … so lazy …''

Pretty much sums it all up, really. The bleeding hearts who suddenly took on the interest of geo-politics and called those who criticised the campaign as ignorant have know all but forgotten about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Not surprised nobody gives a fcuk now ,tbh. It burnt out too fast, too soon. I knew loads a people who were bawling when they saw the video, said they would buy the action kits,:rolleyes: I bet I could ask them who Kony is today and they wouldn't have a clue... Your man jerkin' it in public probably didn't help things too much, in fairness.
    I called it as the hipster bullsh1t it was when I first seen it and was told I was heartless... by the same people who haven't mentioned Uganda/Kony since they saw the video a month ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Acacia wrote: »
    Not surprised nobody gives a fcuk now ,tbh. It burnt out too fast, too soon.
    You mean it was all gone in a flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PHIDIAS

I never watched this video either but it seems to not have gone down so well in Uganda.
    http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article30826.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Haha maybe this would have worked a few weeks ago but not now. Just a while ago everyone was talking about kony non stop, but Id almost forgoteen about til now and Im sure most others have to. Anyway this never would have helped those ugandan children in the first place, I heard this happened years ago and kony has infact left the country years ago, much too little much too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Started watching it after I came back from the pub just when it was released. Got sick of the sight of the lad presenting it. Seemed like a clown showing off his son the whole time. I'm sure the intentions were good but I was bored, tired and drunk. Never bothered watching it again.

I reckon 99% of the people who watched it couldn't care less about Kony any more. It's really just another of the internet sensations. Up there with Rebecca Black and any other 15 minute star of youtube.

Yep but if you have a video go viral on you tube the potential to make money is massive fps Russia gets close to 250,000.00 $ a year or there his videos don't even go viral... A viral video makes people money lots of money and how many idiots liked and shared ?

Majority of your face book twitter gooogle plus and myspace tumbler contacts why? Because they were guilted bye every one else.
    Let's not to forget the amount of people who donated money...

Kony 2012 represents the first ever case of. I thing more the Internet chugging !

And for that alone the maker is a genious who masturbates in his car :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

This is a pretty interesting analysis of the video by a renowned Dutch filmmaker, looking at how the Kony video was put together to achieve such a massive reach; http://vimeo.com/40439925

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

The event was a complete failure and we should all be thankful. It was a hugely corrupt organization with dodgy goals.

If you look at some of their other videos the whole thing seems a bit culty.

Advertisement