Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canin breed specific food

• 07-03-2012 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people make of the Royal Canin breed specific food? They seem to have a lot of the breeds( labrador, westie,cavalier etc) I have Chewie on Royal Canin Mini Junior which seems to suit him was thinking of putting him on the RC Miniature Schnauzer when he's 10 months. Is this all a gimmick? Also what about the foods for neutered dogs too?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

After spending forever reading all the bags in Maxi Zoo I determined that there wasn't anything designed for a mutt of questionable heritage :D So being a mix of (best guess to follow) Border Collie and Random Setter (Gordon perhaps because of her colouring) - nothing really seemed to be for her.

After talking to the staff I realized I knew a slight (ok, alot) more than they did. They kept trying to push their own brand on me, which I tried, and the dog hated and refused to eat (not their fault, I know, but I did explain the story and ended with been there bought that, now out of this range (waving my arms wildly at all the Royal Canin bags) whats my best option) they still could offer no help. So back to bag reading I went (googling here and there as I went (thankfully BK's wifi was reaching the pet store :D) and eventually I settled on Royal Canin Cocker as it advertised "skin protection and beautiful coat, healthy eyes, strong heart, ideal weight maintenance." - and I figured its not just Cockers that need that, it surely can't hurt her - and she was fed on R.C in the rescue before I got her.

She LOOOOOOOOOVES it - I've never seen her eat so much real dog food before! (I have her on a fairly natural diet and revert back to kibbles when there isn't anything left, or anything suitable for her, or for nights when I don't eat in the house, etc etc - she always has a bowl there for a snack if she wants, which prior to the R.C a full bowl would sit there for the whole week before it would either be A) Gone or B) thrown out in my usual weekend clean up)

So she's been on it for about a month now - and she's doing great with it - I can't say I notice any real difference in her coat but she eats so much good stuff anyways it would be hard to tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Yea they all have different ingredients depending on the breed. The schnauzer one has 'fat-burning L-carnitine' and '' L-tyrosine to enhance the color contrast of the hair' amongst other things :eek: Sounds a bit odd:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

Good Morning :)

I'm feeding my dog Harvey on royal canin Shih Tzu junior and he is thriving on it. At the start he didn't really like it but if I mix a little bit of chicken or left over potatoes he gobbles it all at once :)

Funny thing is that I also have two extremely fussy cat's, they don't really like dry food and get bored really easy but they love the royal canin Shih Tzu food :confused: The way I see it is, if my cat's love it, it must be good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I fed my fella on Royal Canin as that was what the breeder was feeding him as a pup and it was recommended. He did very well on the puppy food.

Problems started when I started on the Shih Tzu RC food. It doesn't agree with him. Vet suggested I change to the small dog food. Same result.

The only food I can give him that agrees with him is Burns, supplemented by cooked hearts, and fish with brown rice a couple of times a week. I also add psyllium husk and cod liver oil to the food, and he does so much better on it.

It really depends on the animal I guess. Buy Chewie a small bag to begin with, and see how he gets on.

And yes - My cat LOVED RC! Shih Tzu, Puppy, small dog - made no odds. He ate it anyway!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

That is mad my 2 cats will run in and eat Chewie's RC any chance they get! I had them on RC dried cat food which they loved but the dried gave them crystals in the urine so now they are on wet. Might try mixing some dry in with the wet for them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

There was a Royal Canin Rep in my local pet shop at the weekend and I asked the exact question!!! I have a German shepherd and feed her Royal Canin Maxi Adult, I asked the Rep what was the difference between the Maxi and the German Shepherd food and she said that essentially the only difference is the German Shepherd food has some kind of oil in it (the name escapes me! too technical ha) which helps the dogs joint stay firm and healthy for longer and that was it!! :D

Advertisement