Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect to Steam offline

Options
  • 07-03-2012 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Not sure if this is the right place to look for answers, but I'm having trouble with my Steam account. When I set up my account initially I was able to play games online and offline, but over the past few weeks I've noticed that I can't eneter offline mode. I just get an error message. It's pretty annoying because I don't have internet access in the place I rent for college. Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I notice offline mode sometimes doesn't work between client updates. Have you tried updating to the latest Steam beta client?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I notice offline mode sometimes doesn't work between client updates. Have you tried updating to the latest Steam beta client?

Hmmm, I'm not quite sure what that means to be honest! :o

How would I go about doing that kinda thing?

In the client menu bar, go to Steam - Settings , Account tab - beta participation - click Change. In the next dialog, choose Steam Beta Update, click OK.

Offline mode is just broken sometimes, and that's how I get it working again. Also, if you've installed Ccleaner lately and haven't configured it properly it might erase your Steam offline data.

Usual precautions about using software not quite ready for general release apply btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hey thanks for that. While I was poking about for those settings I saw that I wasn't saving account credentials on the computer, and that was the problem.

Einhard wrote: »
    Hey thanks for that. While I was poking about for those settings I saw that I wasn't saving account credentials on the computer, and that was the problem.

D'oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I'm having a Steam problem. When i try to Start Hitman blood money.I get the error message.

Failed to find Steam.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Are you starting the game from the steam client or from a desktop short cut?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

weiland79 wrote: »
    I'm having a Steam problem. When i try to Start Hitman blood money.I get the error message.

Failed to find Steam.

Any ideas?

Restarting the Steam client itself usually solves that issue.

How do i do that?

weiland79 wrote: »
    How do i do that?

Close Steam, in menu bar Steam --> Exit. Then open Steam again from the Start Menu and wait until it logs you in again.

• Advertisement

Jesus you wouldn't believe the BS i've been reading about online for the past day to try and sort that out.

Cheers guy's!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

To run anything in steam the client and the game needs to be fully updated.

Don't know how it knows if theres a new update if its not connected to the internet to check though.

Advertisement