Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your mate becomes a guard...

• 07-03-2012 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

do you get on with them the same way?
    or are you a bit paro about them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Of course you never speak to them again and start posting packets of bacon to them on a weekly bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

I'd cut them out of my life and tell them they were scum every time I saw them. Possibly spit on them too.

Or I'd do what any rational adult would do... and maybe not care what their profession is. Sure he's the same bloke he was before the job -- nothing will have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Not likely.
    Templemore is closed at the moment AFAIK. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

They do change a bit I've found...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

You will now be hanging around with a cop - nice. Get rid or you will never go where you wanna go. Whos yo man - eh, hes a cop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

Senna wrote: »
    Of course you never speak to them again and start posting packets of bacon to them on a weekly bases.

****in lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Why would I be paranoid around a cop, I don't break any laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

jimpump wrote: »

I would be less paramilitary, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭GombeanMan

Why would I be paranoid around a cop, I don't break any laws.

Cops use tactics to make you slip up, which can be used against you in a court of law. Police have been known to intimidate people to get a quick or even false confession out of them. If you think police corruption does not exist, you are deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

First question......... Is my surname Bailey in this senario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I wouldn't give a damn...

....unless they start saying 'veh-hickle'. Then a sharp knee to the nuts would be in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

an old friend of mine girlfriend became a cop ,and she done him [her boyfriend]for illegal number plates on his car :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Well, surely you must have saw it coming when you caught yourself saying under your voice "what a sham person" or "this lad is quite the pr*ick". I've known of a few lads who became gaurds, they werent friends, but its kinda in their blood really. I always found them incredibly, almost excruciatingly...bland with a child-like adherence to authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Shur as long as he's on his oath he cant do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

a family friend-who has been the best friend of sisters since they started high school together has been in the police for years,and he is now in a high up grade.
    back in the olden days when used to download things of a copyrighted nature on limewire,he came over to sisters house for a visit.
    was sat in front of him with the laptop,limewire in full view,turned out he was well into this sort of thing himself.
    he is easy to be around,and doesnt have the official police mentality on him when he is off duty.
    for anyone to flat out suspect they are out to get everyone,shoud perhaps be more bothered about paranoia and persecutory beliefs than police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't get this mindset about the guards. They're human. Just like you and I. Charged with enforcing the law. That's their job, and what they're paid for. Frankly, if my friend became a guard, I'd congratulate him, and just make sure that in future, whenever possible, I didn't expose him to anything dodgy that might clash with those very laws he's charged with enforcing.

My landlord's actually a guard and he's actually the best landlord we've ever had. Human first, Garda second, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

I don't get this mindset about the guards. They're human. Just like you and I. Charged with enforcing the law. That's their job, and what they're paid for. Frankly, if my friend became a guard, I'd congratulate him, and just make sure that in future, whenever possible, I didn't expose him to anything dodgy that might clash with those very laws he's charged with enforcing.

My landlord's actually a guard and he's actually the best landlord we've ever had. Human first, Garda second, I say.

landlords are scum tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I knew 4 people who became a gaurd and friends with a few whose father is a gaurd. One was the biggest knacker going before becoming a gaurd maybe templemore straightend him out though. Another whose father was a gaurd as was his uncle which to me was nepotisim through and through and lost me a lot of respect for him and the recruitment processes involved. Another would of made a brilliant gaurd and it was only after trying again and again that he got in. Seeing that their all human and some are there because who their daddy is not a chance I would act different around them.

I was friends with cops in america and they were mostly cool but some of them should not have been given weapons they joined for the wrong reasons. One of the cops girlfriends was a serious coke user and he never seemed to clock it.

Scruffles wrote: »
    a family friend-who has been the best friend of sisters since they started high school together has been in the police for years,and he is now in a high up grade.
    back in the olden days when used to download things of a copyrighted nature on limewire,he came over to sisters house for a visit.
    was sat in front of him with the laptop,limewire in full view,turned out he was well into this sort of thing himself.
    he is easy to be around,and doesnt have the official police mentality on him when he is off duty.
    for anyone to flat out suspect they are out to get everyone,shoud perhaps be more bothered about paranoia and persecutory beliefs than police.

Thing is though, and I hate generalising, but Police in the UK are at least somewhat decent. When I lived in the UK, I found the Police there were far more polite and generally not under the illusion of a power trip. Police here seem to enjoy the power tripping that policing the populace carries. I've seen Gardai Harassing bystanders without sufficient cause before. The UK cops generally aren't like that. They are generally extremely efficient, unlike here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Two of my mates are Gardai,they don't go around arresting people for jaywalking or for putting the wrong stuff in the recycling bin etc when they're off duty or anything like that,they're just normal lads whose job is being a Garda.

Handy going on nights out with them all the same though,as we usually get to skip the line into places and/or get in free!

• Advertisement

GombeanMan wrote: »
    Thing is though, and I hate generalising, but Police in the UK are at least somewhat decent. When I lived in the UK, I found the Police there were far more polite and generally not under the illusion of a power trip. Police here seem to enjoy the power tripping that policing the populace carries. I've seen Gardai Harassing bystanders without sufficient cause before. The UK cops generally aren't like that. They are generally efficient, unlike here.

The same I found the metropolitan police to be exceptionally polite. I dont like the attitude on some cops here theres no need for it.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The same I found the metropolitan police to be exceptionally polite. I dont like the attitude on some cops here theres no need for it.

pitty bout the gardey shickillownys

pitty bout the gardey shickillownys

Not at all I just find some of the gaurds have the wrong attitude to the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

In fairness you would have to be a right d**k to tell someone off about that. Especially when they invited you into their house. Downloading music is the least of cops worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Handy going on nights out with them all the same though,as we usually get to skip the line into places and/or get in free!

This is the kind of craic that písses me off. You just argued that they're still normal people when off duty and followed it up with this. Reeks of superiority.

Have a friend who is a guard and if any of our friends get caught speeding or whatever he gets them off. I thought I got caught by a speed camera the other week and he offered to wipe it for me, I declined. Can't have one rule for some and another rule for others. It's all about who you know in this fúcking country. Tbf he is sound but he has more of a disregard for the law than anyone by doing this and I hate the hypocriticalness :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I remember one Garda speaking to my father like a child. We were only having pulled out of our house and the Gardai were up the road stopping people and checking for insurance and that. The Garda looked at my fathers insurance and saw it was nearly out of date. He mentioned that to my father and my father said he had noticed that yeah and he was dealing with it and the Garda turns around and say in his big thick Kerry accent, 'Ahhh now, get that done now', as if he was reprimanding a child. I can tell you Papa Sindri was not a happy bunny (mainly because he's not a zoomorphic bunny).

Having said that while I was young, with a few run in with the guards they were all right, particularly the Béan Garda that caught me speeding when I was a learner driver and let me off the most heinous of crimes of not having L plates up which supposedly results in a court appearance. :eek:

Still didn't put them up after that in case I looked like a square and so I wouldn't be stopped when driving by myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So what happened when you reported him for witnessing a crime and being a breaker of copyright laws himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Senna wrote: »

I might just join the Guards. Im not one to turn down free bacon.

I might just join the Guards. Im not one to turn down free bacon.

bacons some good shi t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's great when they confiscate cans off young fellas and then bring them home for their mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

One of my friends friends came back for a house party some time after his training. And we were hitting a bong. He made an entire scene about being morally torn between friends and obligations, and proceeded to make like he was about to be forced to cuff me since I had the bong in my hand when he came in the door. This went on for about 10 minutes of me palpitating before they finally lose their poker faces and I proceed to hate them all for the rest of the night. Didn't calm down till I saw him take a hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

First definition on google for "paro":

"Paro is a therapeutic robot baby harp seal, intended to be very cute and to have a calming effect on and elicit emotional responses in patients of hospitals and nursing homes, similar to Animal-Assisted Therapy."
    The more you know...

Advertisement