Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WC Build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

With them teperatures there is no need to increase the fans, just adding noise for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Try turn the fans off, then see what your temps are. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Well I've started down the road of overclocking. It's a lot easier than i thought, especially with the ASUS UEFI interface. So far this are the clocks/ voltages I'm looking at. I haven't tested any of them extensively but I'm going to give the 4.6ghz a full stress test as it looks to be the best option. Any thoughts? I've given each of them 10 passes on maximum IBT and about 20 mins of small FFT's on P95.

4.5GHZ/ 1.30v; max 58°c,
    4.6GHZ/ 1.35v; max 65°c,
    4.7GHZ/ 1.40v; max 70°c,

The temps are from the IBT tests, P95 temps are about 10 degrees lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Neilos wrote: »
    Well I've started down the road of overclocking. It's a lot easier than i thought, especially with the ASUS UEFI interface. So far this are the clocks/ voltages I'm looking at. I haven't tested any of them extensively but I'm going to give the 4.6ghz a full stress test as it looks to be the best option. Any thoughts? I've given each of them 10 passes on maximum IBT and about 20 mins of small FFT's on P95.

4.5GHZ/ 1.30v; max 58°c,
    4.6GHZ/ 1.35v; max 65°c,
    4.7GHZ/ 1.40v; max 70°c,

The temps are from the IBT tests, P95 temps are about 10 degrees lower.
    Your voltages are too high. 4.6Ghz should be achievable with under 1.3v
    Mines at 1.288v

it will drop your temps down pretty dramatically too.

I'd do 20 passes of extreme IBT, and play your most CPU intensive game for 2-3hours. if it passes all those, your good to go.

i also wouldnt suggest ever going over 1.35v/65°C for long periods of time. games run alot colder than IBT though.
    some of the better chips do better voltages too. NMTK has an 2500K clocked @ 4.8ghz @1.22v

Even at 1.33v I'm getting BSOD at 4.6ghz so there's no chance of me getting it down to 1.3v. Are you using EFI BIOS? Maybe there's something I'm missing settings wise.

• Advertisement

Neilos wrote: »
    Even at 1.33v I'm getting BSOD at 4.6ghz so there's no chance of me getting it down to 1.3v. Are you using EFI BIOS? Maybe there's something I'm missing settings wise.
    yea. im using an Asrock Z68 Extreme4.

what Mobo you using? is that fixed voltage or offset?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Could just be a really hungry chip too. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get a chip that bad, but it probably plays a part.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Could just be a really hungry chip too. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get a chip that bad, but it probably plays a part.
    i dont think its that uncommon. looking at the stock voltages for the 2500K, shows it varies between 1.00v - 1.322v from chip to chip. i just havent seen one myself with a voltage over 1.2v stock.

I'm using the ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3. Voltage is set to manual and I'm inputting 1.35 as the cpu manual voltage. Other than that I've only changed the multiplier to 46 on all cores. I've also tried it with CPU spread spectrum enabled and disabled because apparently this can have an effect on stability.

Advertisement