Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last time you were in a physical fight?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

I always end up in fights but have no idea how they started or why I'm involved.

From the fights that I do know how they started it is nearly always caused by a woman egging a man on to fight someone else. These are the kind of women that need a bit of drama on a night out and will usually wind up a stranger then get a huge male friend to finish it off.

And no, I'm not the guy that the girl would be winding up, I usually just get dragged in somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

You are away with the fairies if you believe that.

I'm away with the fairies if I think someone who has never been in a fight wouldnt be likely to kill someone with one punch ? lol

Your a bouncer right ? Seen lots of fights and scraps ? How many people have you personally seen die as a result of one punch ?

Not me who's away with the fairies is it ?

Happens quite a lot actually.
    Usually down to falling and hitting your head on something like a kerb rather than the actually punch in the first place. My bosses son had to have major surgery only a few months ago for this very reason, didn't even get punched just pushed over, banged his head and developed a blood lot on his brain. He's lucky to be alive.

Well thats not killing someone with one punch its hitting your head. You dont need to be punched to fall over and hit your head and being drunk and unable to control your landing would have a awful lot to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Greentopia wrote: »
    OP I reject your question as being illogical and presumptuous as it's built on a false premise.
    By phrasing your question thus, you make the false presumption that all of us at some stage in our lives have been in some kind of physical altercation or combat.

You would be wrong. :p
    Never have and I hope never will be involved in a fight as I abhor violence.

Do you have siblings? If so you never had a fight with them as a child? No one has ever hit you even as a kid?

I have never had a fight would have been an adequate answer though no need to be so pretentious.

I actually don't regret having been in any fight i was in when I was young. I was never a bully but I didn't let myself be bullied either and stood up for myself and I guess I like that. I've been hurt but never badly in fights and I cant remember ever being the one that started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Last night.

He was all over the place. Constantly annoying me and getting too close for comfort. Eventually, he tried to steal some of my sandwich, and I lost it. Whack!

Me: 1
    Housefly : 0

MungBean wrote: »
    I'm away with the fairies if I think someone who has never been in a fight wouldnt be likely to kill someone with one punch ? lol

Your a bouncer right ? Seen lots of fights and scraps ? How many people have you personally seen die as a result of one punch ?

Not me who's away with the fairies is it ?

Who said I had never been in a fight? Even if I had never been in a fight and punched someone who fell and hit their head are you telling me there is no way they could die? There are lots of cases of one punch killing people which is why I said it in the OP. The fact that it doesn't happen all the time dose not mean that it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭batman_oh

A well placed punch in the temple is unlilely to kill anybody unless you are Mike Tyson. What kills from one punch is falling on your head somewhere when you are knocked out.

Doc wrote: »
    Who said I had never been in a fight? Even if I had never been in a fight and punched someone who fell and hit their head are you telling me there is no way they could die? There are lots of cases of one punch killing people which is why I said it in the OP. The fact that it doesn't happen all the time dose not mean that it doesn't happen.

You said in the OP the last time you were in a scrap was school. So you have never been in a proper adult fight.

And falling and hitting your head isnt getting killed by one punch, that can happen to many people without getting touched. Alcohol is the biggest factor when that happens as you cant control your fall and dont protect your head.

Of course it happens I never said it doesnt happen I only said its not something you really have to worry about seeing as its a freak occurrence and not something thats likely to happen. Using it as a reason not to throw a punch is like saying "I'd like to go to the shop but my car might explode". Cars do explode but the probability of it happening is so low it doesnt factor in to reasonable thought.

You said in the OP the last time you were in a scrap was school. So you have never been in a proper adult fight.

And falling and hitting your head isnt getting killed by one punch, that can happen to many people without getting touched. Alcohol is the biggest factor when that happens as you cant control your fall and dont protect your head.

Of course it happens I never said it doesnt happen I only said its not something you really have to worry about seeing as its a freak occurrence and not something thats likely to happen. Using it as a reason not to throw a punch is like saying "I'd like to go to the shop but my car might explode". Cars do explode but the probability of it happening is so low it doesnt factor in to reasonable thought.

I play rugby and do weights in the gym I have not had a fight off a pitch since I was 17 but that has no impact on the fact that if I did have a fight I could possibly hurt someone. The thing is the probability is not as low as you think and just because you don't kill someone dose not mean you cant do a hell of a lot of damage with just one punch. The fall is a result of the punch as without it the person would not have fell so it is relevant and people do get knocked out with one punch (I have seen that) and you cant protect yourself when you fall unconscious. You should Google "one punch can kill". I don't want to hurt anyone anyway.

• Advertisement

I play rugby and do weights in the gym I have not had a fight off a pitch since I was 17 but that has no impact on the fact that if I did have a fight I could possibly hurt someone. The thing is the probability is not as low as you think and just because you don't kill someone dose not mean you cant do a hell of a lot of damage with just one punch. The fall is a result of the punch as without it the person would not have fell so it is relevant and people do get knocked out with one punch (I have seen that) and you cant protect yourself when you fall unconscious. You should Google "one punch can kill". I don't want to hurt anyone anyway.

So you have thrown punches during games but think you'd kill someone outside a game ?

Theres a hell of a lot of punches thrown round here every weekend and has been for as long as I can remember and not one of them has killed anyone. Its a freak occurrence and isnt something that is likely to happen (unless you have statistics to prove otherwise).

I'm not trying to convince you to go beat the head of anyone by the way just commenting on the low possibility of killing someone with one punch seeing as theres so many fights and so many punches thrown every weekend and maybe you'll hear of one or two people that die as a result of falling and hitting their head. Its not likely to happen. You probably just as likely to kill someone with a tackle on the rugby pitch. Does happen, has happened but not enough to put you off tackling someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

About 20 years ago I was walking up the street on my way home from a nightclub and 3 guys started to hassle me. It started off with them pushing me about and then one lad thumped me in the side of the jaw. I tried walking away but then got another shot. I saw red and thumped him back.

I have a vague recollection of it going fairly well for about... oh... 5 seconds or so. Then I got a punch to the back of the head and it all went decidedly pear-shaped. They kicked the crap out of me.

To make things even better when they'd finished, and I was sitting in a heap wondering WTF had happened, they decided to come back for seconds. I got a stamp to the face that put me in hospital for 3 weeks and 20 years of sinus problems.

About two months after I got out of hospital a guy approached me in a pub and it was one of the lads. He wanted to apologise and told me they'd thought I was someone else they'd had a run in with earlier. The twats were so pissed they couldn't recognise anybody.

I declined his offer of a handshake, pointed out my group of mates sitting in the corner and told him he had a 10 second head-start before he discovered what it felt like to be in that position. I never did see him again!

So you have thrown punches during games but think you'd kill someone outside a game ?

Theres a hell of a lot of punches thrown round here every weekend and has been for as long as I can remember and not one of them has killed anyone. Its a freak occurrence and isnt something that is likely to happen (unless you have statistics to prove otherwise).

I'm not trying to convince you to go beat the head of anyone by the way just commenting on the low possibility of killing someone with one punch seeing as theres so many fights and so many punches thrown every weekend and maybe you'll hear of one or two people that die as a result of falling and hitting their head. Its not likely to happen. You probably just as likely to kill someone with a tackle on the rugby pitch. Does happen, has happened but not enough to put you off tackling someone.

Why are you arguing with my reasons not to want to fight people? I live in Australia and the one punch can kill thing has been in the news here quite a bit. A number of people have died over here because of one punch. It really doesn't take much to put me off wanting to fight anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Unless your the heavy weight champion of the world punching a midget in the back of the head I really doubt your gonna kill anyone.

Could happen but i agree it's unlikely-the temple is not some magic area in fairness!

This way of thinking comes from Martial arts that teach 1 punch death techniques etc that are ridonculis to be honest.
    Sindri wrote: »
    I got quite a strong box to the temple once. I guess I'm lucky I'm still here.

You would have been extremely unlucky to die, most people who die from been punched is the fall where they smack their heads on curbs etc

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Why are you arguing with my reasons not to want to fight people? I live in Australia and the one punch can kill thing has been in the news here quite a bit. A number of people have died over here because of one punch. It really doesn't take much to put me off wanting to fight anyone.

I'm not arguing with your reasons not to fight I'm only commenting on the likelihood of you killing someone with one punch, if the only thing stopping you is fear of killing someone with your monstrous first punch or your using unrealistic outcomes to try stop yourself from hitting people then you have some issues I think.

I dont fight because I'm not an aggressive person, I dont usually feel the urge to attack people and I dont need to try convince myself I'm a killing machine to stop myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

cowzerp wrote: »
    This way of thinking comes from Martial arts that teach 1 punch death techniques etc that are ridonculis to be honest.

My favourite are the ones that can knock you out without even touching you.

Dillman ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Haven't been in a fight since I was 13, now aged 19. I started training in BJJ and Judo this year and might be starting boxing soon enough. Hopefully will never need them in a street confrontation:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

In Blackpool a couple of years back. Went out with a mate (well I say mate erm let's say someone I know) who was on coke. We went out of some bar for a fag, got chatting to some randomers and then he decked one of them for no reason. Cue a lot of people having a go at us. In the midst of this there was some lippy Scouser who took a swing at me. I smacked him in the jaw and he luckily went down. The guy who I was with hit a few people, got hit a couple of times then we both went off somewhere else. He said he just hit someone because he was bored. It was a bit of an odd night and I haven't been out with him since :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

About 10 years ago. Typical after club, outside chipper fiasco, me and a friend getting hassled by a larger group for no other reason than someone wanted a fight. My mate is a bigger pacifist than Gandhi and would even debate the idea of defending yourself when physically assaulted! I used to think I was Mike Tyson when I had afew drinks so after taking a shot to the side of the head, I started swinging. In hindsight we got away with it. The owner of the place took no shít, he came outside and broke it up.

Looking back at it from the grand old age of 30, I think my mate was right. Innocent scuffles that end up with a black eye are long gone. Nowadays, you have as much chance of getting your kicked literally kicked in, or getting stabbed as anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Last fight I was in was about three summers ago. My little brother and my friend got started on at the end of the night by a bunch of 18 year olds in the town for the night looking to cause trouble. One of them took a swing at my brother (who's well able to look after himself), and he managed to avoid it. I intervened and hit the lad a few clouts before four of his friends jumped in. Brother and friend got involved before the bouncers broke it up. I was like the Hulk at this stage, and I could see four of the lads running up towards a taxi. I followed them, managed to pull one of them out of the taxi, but got overwhelmed by them in the end. One of them hit me a box in the jaw just as the taxi was pulling off, the sly hoor!

Long story short, it was the last time I was in a row. Actually it was the only time was in a row on a night out. I'd usually be a talkative, merry drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

You also hear stories about how one punch can kill and that’s not something I ever would want to deal with.

Unless your the heavy weight champion of the world punching a midget in the back of the head I really doubt your gonna kill anyone.

Not the case at all! So easy to hit some throw them off balance they fall and they bang there head, which in some cases lights out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

So it's physically impossible for someone to fall against something and hit their head and die after being punched now, is it?

Wow.....

:rolleyes:

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    So it's physically impossible for someone to fall against something and hit their head and die after being punched now, is it?

Wow.....

:rolleyes:

No but it seems its quite impossible for you to read and understand a simple sentence. Try again and perhaps it will sink it, or continue to ignore what I said, make up something entirely different and then respond to that. Up to yourself.

Alan 1990 wrote: »
    Not the case at all! So easy to hit some throw them off balance they fall and they bang there head, which in some cases lights out!!

Same can be said for pushing, tripping, bumping into someone. Would you be put off pushing a friend because theres a chance they might fall and hit their head and die ? Would you say bumping into someone can kill them ? No. So why is a punch any different ? Anything can kill ya or lead to a situation where you may die but not all are very likely to happen are they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

About two years ago but i work as a doorman so that's good going.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    Could happen but i agree it's unlikely-the temple is not some magic area in fairness!

You would have been extremely unlucky to die, most people who die from been punched is the fall where they smack their heads on curbs etc

But without the initial punch the person won't have fallen to the ground with enough force to kill them.

that's like saying pushing someone off a cliff won't kill them and blaming the death on the sudden stop at the end.

fact is striking someone on the head carries a lot of risk.. Mostly I'd rather choke someone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Never been in a fight in my life and been honest never want to be.

I know im pretty strong guy and I do bit boxing, but at end of day you never know what you are getting into when you do start an argument with somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Do you have siblings? If so you never had a fight with them as a child? No one has ever hit you even as a kid?

I have never had a fight would have been an adequate answer though no need to be so pretentious.

I actually don't regret having been in any fight i was in when I was young. I was never a bully but I didn't let myself be bullied either and stood up for myself and I guess I like that. I've been hurt but never badly in fights and I cant remember ever being the one that started it.

I'm an only child. No-one ever hit me, no, not even as a child. My parents never laid a finger on me either-they don't believe in it.

Pretentious? don't know how you got pretentious from what I wrote but whatever...

I shy away from physical confrontation. Better to talk things through to try and calm down a situation or else make a run for it if that's not possible I think.

I remember hearing this expression in Sweden: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Where common sense or ability to express oneself ends violence starts".[/FONT] That's a view I share with them.

I'm an only child. No-one ever hit me, no, not even as a child. My parents never laid a finger on me either-they don't believe in it.

Pretentious? don't know how you got pretentious from what I wrote but whatever...

I shy away from physical confrontation. Better to talk things through to try and calm down a situation or else make a run for it if that's not possible I think.

I remember hearing this expression in Sweden: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Where common sense or ability to express oneself ends violence starts".[/FONT] That's a view I share with them.

I found you origional answer to my question Pretentious as you said this:
    OP I reject your question as being illogical and presumptuous as it's built on a false premise.
    By phrasing your question thus, you make the false presumption that all of us at some stage in our lives have been in some kind of physical altercation or combat.

You would be wrong.
    Never have and I hope never will be involved in a fight as I abhor violence.

The last line of your post covers the question asked in the OP the rest makes you sound pretentious.

If you have never had a physical altercation with anyone in your life then it is fair to say you are in the lucky minority of people in this world and I hope it continues for you in this way. As a child I didn't always have the option to calm down a situation and avoid a fight as if a bully wants to hit you for no good reason he would and I was always told to stand up for myself. I grew up with 2 brothers who I loved but we fought , it is natural that we would just like most siblings do as children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭vixdname

Yep, I was walkin through my hood after a night out on the town with some of my homies. I was just after leaving my homies at the bottom of the block and walking for about 5 minutes when a I heard the heavy thud of the engine of a Mustang moving slowly up behind me.
    I knew this could be trouble so I picked up the pace a little but as I did I heard the Mustang engine rev up and with a short screech the black Mustang had past me, swerved in front of my path on the sidewalk.
    The four doors open quickly as 4 muthafukin niggas jumped out of the car and surrounded me.
    "Where you think you going muthafuka ?" said one of them, "You do realise you were in our part of town earlier tonight, and now, we're in your part of town, we saws you and jinxed up crew swannin around our bars like you was somtin, you aint all that nigga and now you've gotta pay us a toll for the time you spent in our hood, gimme ya wallet nigga" one of them said.
    I looked at him straight in the eye and slowly but surely looked at every ones of them with a steely eyed stare all the time my left hand moving slowly, very very slowly into the back pocket of my jeans.
    "OK" I said, "I'll pay you a fukin toll" and with that I swung my left hand back from behind my back, only this time it wasnt empty, I was after bustin out my 9 and was about to bust caps in asses.
    Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, the echo of my 9 bustin caps reverbed around my hood, lights came on in the windows and dogs started barkin and out of no where the homies I had left a few minutes earlier were by my side.
    The 4 niggas were left reelin on the ground with their blood turning the rain puddles around them red.
    In the distance the sound of cops cars could be heard, so that was my que to get the fuk outta there, me and my homies ran up the alley way and made our way home.

That was the last bit of dissin I was involved in, no punches thrown, now asses kicked, just me, my homies and my 9 - Diggit !!!

^^^^^^^^
    *Puts on best HBO announcer voice*: ‘Previously on "The Wire"’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Last one was a few years back.
    In a far away city that shall remain nameless:

I was being mugged, they pulled up in a car next to the ATM but only one of them got out.

I head butted him and legged it, I ran flat out for probably about 2 minutes with the three of them on my heels roaring at me (why didn't they drive?).
    When I finally got into a cab and we sped off (just like in a movie) I saw that they had baseball bats.

A few years previously I was beaten within an inch of my life by about 7 lads, despite the fact that not a single blow landed on my body during the mugging it was a million times more terrifying/exhilarating :)

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I found you origional answer to my question Pretentious as you said this:

Yes I know what you meant.
    The last line of your post covers the question asked in the OP the rest makes you sound pretentious.

...in your opinion. If you don't like the way I write skip over my posts or put me on ignore, I won't mind ;)
    If you have never had a physical altercation with anyone in your life then it is fair to say you are in the lucky minority of people in this world and I hope it continues for you in this way.

So do I :) of course you can't always avoid it as you could be walking down the street and some toe rag decides to assault you for no reason whatsoever but thats a small enough risk if you keep your wits about you, avoid trouble and stay away from no-go areas.

I don't go to bars much at night (I hate being around drunk people, I find them too unpredictable and they make me feel unsafe) and never clubs so that does lessen the likelyhood of being in any kind of physical altercation.
    As a child I didn't always have the option to calm down a situation and avoid a fight as if a bully wants to hit you for no good reason he would and I was always told to stand up for myself. I grew up with 2 brothers who I loved but we fought , it is natural that we would just like most siblings do as children.

Play fighting (I assume you mean?) with your siblings is not the same as physical violence though. And of course I don't include people who are bullied and wish to stand up for themselves in my disapproval of fighting, that's completely understandable, though I think fighting back physically only escalates a situation and makes it worse.

I don't think being told to 'stand up for yourself' by decking the other kid first or hitting back if he hits you is good advice by any parent. That only gives the child the message that violence is the way to solve a problem. Going to a parent or teacher to get it sorted out is the best thing to do if you're a child being bullied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

You also hear stories about how one punch can kill and that’s not something I ever would want to deal with.

And if the guy falls and cracks his head on the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Most fights are usually pageantry and posing and seldom lead to actual fighting and it is the same for nations also me.

I got into a tussle with a coke head in a nightclub about 5 years ago, and a scumbag who I caught in the act of trying to rob my bike, both of these ended well, a bouncer escorted me out of the nightclub and the scumbag scarpered, the scumbag did scare as he was with 2 others who were probably armed with the usual scumbag tools. But I am a big bloke, so I was lucky it could have ended very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

before christmas, had to drag some mental bird who attacked a girl in our group in a nightclub, mental carry on..she had her on the deck and was trying to punch her.

Before that... gave some skanger a wee belt of a stick about two years ago, he had a fire extinguisher in his hands at the time so i thought that was fair enough tbh

He may get brain damage and forget how to read a thread. You havent had a fall recently have ya ? That question/point has been answered about 10 times in this thread. Why do people keep fcukin repeating it ?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

November 2010, myself and a mate of mine were just in the door of a nightclub and were heading to the bar, I was slightly ahead of him and I turned to see what he wanted only to see him getting the head beaten off him by a couple of scummers.

He was down on the ground and his mouth was bleeding, they were still pounding away on him so I took a run for one of them and landed him on the floor with a punch, all of a sudden I had three of them after me. I had the missus' graduation a couple of days after so I didn't want any marks on my face so I took a couple of swings then covered my face (wouldn't look good going to it with black eyes).

They were hitting my arms moreso than anything, and I managed to kick the door of the DJ box to get his attention and all of a sudden the hitting stopped, I looked up and there was no one there. All of the bouncers had dragged them outside!

Came out of it with only a couple of bumps and bruises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He may get brain damage and forget how to read a thread. You havent had a fall recently have ya ? That question/point has been answered about 10 times in this thread. Why do people keep fcukin repeating it ?

If you spoke to people in real life the way youve been speaking them in the thread then I bet you'd have plenty of on topic stories to tell!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you spoke to people in real life the way youve been speaking them in the thread then I bet you'd have plenty of on topic stories to tell!

According to the people here I'd die from the first punch it seems. If people cant talk to me using an ounce of cop on I wont be going out of my way to entertain their poorly constructed arguments.

Amazing to hear all these stories of fights and scraps and not one person here has killed anyone. Why its almost as if its not that likely to happen. But I'm sure you as everyone else has will take what I have said as a categorical denial that it can happen in any manner and launch into another "What if they fall over and hit their head" argument.

Round and round we go and when you run out of things to argue attack me personally. Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭undergroundvibe

i have to say im getting into alot of fights or near fights lately. out with my gf minding my own business groups of lads seem to come over trying to start trouble.

strange they way these scum bags always seem to want to fight the easy targets and not another group of rowdy lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Haven't been in a fight since I was around 17.

I think it's funny that I always find the idea of fellas fighting quite sexy, however the last couple of times I saw an actual fight I ended up crying and shaking to such an extent my fella went over and broke them up, lucky he's 6'4" and built really. So yeah only recently realised that while imaginary violence turns me on, actual violence not so much. Anyone else get that? Or am I just an oddball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

According to the people here I'd die from the first punch it seems. If people cant talk to me using an ounce of cop on I wont be going out of my way to entertain their poorly constructed arguments.

Amazing to hear all these stories of fights and scraps and not one person here has killed anyone. Why its almost as if its not that likely to happen. But I'm sure you as everyone else has will take what I have said as a categorical denial that it can happen in any manner and launch into another "What if they fall over and hit their head" argument.

Round and round we go and when you run out of things to argue attack me personally. Great stuff.

Nobody attacked you personally, at least I didn't.

I'm just of the opinion that you're overly sensitive in defence of your opinion and needlessly agressive in your responses to people that's all.

In the first place, there is a severe case of Strawman here imo. When people said "with one punch" I seriously doubt they mean that only the force of the punch is what would kill the person. I think they are taking into account all of the variables present in such a scenario.

Whole still possible, killing someone simply by striking them is very unlikely. However, add in the relevant variables and it becomes way more likely

Nobody attacked you personally, at least I didn't.

I'm just of the opinion that you're overly sensitive in defence of your opinion and needlessly agressive in your responses to people that's all.

I'm coming across as a bit aggressive because I'm getting very frustrated dealing with the same point over and over again mostly thrown at me in response to a point I never made. I never said its not possible nor did I say it couldn't lead to someone getting killed.

Your post was a bit personal disregarding all that I have said and implying if I spoke to people in real life the way I am speaking to people here I'd get attacked. Its a round about way of calling me an asshole or something.
    In the first place, there is a severe case of Strawman here imo. When people said "with one punch" I seriously doubt they mean that only the force of the punch is what would kill the person. I think they are taking into account all of the variables present in such a scenario.

Its not a straw man on my part. Whether your talking about the punch killing someone or the punch leading to a death it is still very unlikely to happen. How many fights take place in each town in each county in Ireland on a weekly basis ? I dont have any statistics but going by what I see here in the local pubs and in the larger towns its a very very big number. Its rare that someone dies from a straightforward fight. Even those who get the living lord beaten out of them more often than not survive.

The chances of dying due to one or a couple punches to the face are extremely low. As I said before it may happen but the odds are such that it cant realistically be factored in to decision making. Your far more likely to die in a road accident yet you dont think about than when going to the shop or refuse to get in a car because you may die.

I have not once said in this thread its not possible which is what everyone else seems to be responding to. Its everyone else who are arguing the straw man. So excuse me if I get a little frustrated dealing with it over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Whatever man you're talking ****.

... Play fighting (I assume you mean?) with your siblings is not the same as physical violence though. And of course I don't include people who are bullied and wish to stand up for themselves in my disapproval of fighting, that's completely understandable, though I think fighting back physically only escalates a situation and makes it worse.

I don't think being told to 'stand up for yourself' by decking the other kid first or hitting back if he hits you is good advice by any parent. That only gives the child the message that violence is the way to solve a problem. Going to a parent or teacher to get it sorted out is the best thing to do if you're a child being bullied.

Not play fighting physical violence between siblings. Sure a lot of the time it might start off with play fighting (with my brothers it was mostly pretending to be WWF wrestlers) but if one of you hit the other one too hard a full on fight could easily brake out. I once split my older brothers head open by throwing an old metal tester pot of paint at him that hit his head; he had to go get stitches. I’d say if you ask most people with siblings around the same age as them they will have similar stories from there youth.

I do think being told to stand up for yourself is good parnting advise. If you go running to your parents or teachers every time anything happens to you all you will learn is that other people should sort out all your problems for you. I dont mean that you have to get physical with anyone but being told to stand up for yourself is definatly a good thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement