Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 fallen through, bf been let go :-(

Options
  • 07-03-2012 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Boyfriend's companies have started terminating sponsorships due to lack of work. Expecting to get the dreaded call today.

Absolutely devastated... Has anyone been in this position on here?

We would plead with anyone who has contacts, he is qualified carpenter/joiner with almost 3 years pqe. He has been working as a formwork carpenter for a year and half here in Brisbane. Willing to move anywhere, over night...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You have 28 days as far as I know to get another 457 visa. Or you could submit and application for another visa that will entitle you to a bridging visa until the application is accepted/rejected.

Maybe speak to a Registered migration agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Thanks jank - we have spoken with our migration agent and your right it is 28 days form the time he receives his notice.

Would be keen to speak to anyone else who has gone through this process!

Any advice appreciated - in a major tizzy at the moment :(

To give yourself time can your BF call in sick for the next week thus delaying the termination notice? Everybit helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

He was told there was no work yesterday or today so he is not at work anyway unfortunately :(

OK but offically he has not been terminated. Not sure of the process but generally it has to be done face to face. So just make himself unavailable for a while. 35 days would be better than 28 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jank wrote: »
    OK but offically he has not been terminated. Not sure of the process but generally it has to be done face to face. So just make himself unavailable for a while. 35 days would be better than 28 days.

I don't think it has to be face to face. It's good manners and common courtesy. But they can let him go via email, phonecall etc.

You are allowed to take a break from working for up to 4 weeks without breeching the 457 arrangements. Maybe they'll let you take an unpaid holiday before they terminate your contract. Then you'll get 56 days total to look for work before you have to leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I have heard that immigration can actually be quite good about this as long as you contact them before your time is up and explain that you will be placed under a great deal of hardship if you are forced to leave so soon. Braking leases, paying for flights ect. I have heard of people being given extra time. Please be aware however that they are under no obligation to help you in this way and that they may still say you must leave within the 28 days.

If I was you I would ask your boyfriend to ring and ask his boss if they would consider keeping him on the books but putting him on unpaid leave until he can find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Don't forget that under those circumstances the employer may be responsible for your flights home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Don't forget that under those circumstances the employer may be responsible for your flights home.

No "may be" about it, they are if it comes to you having to go (Maybe remind them of this?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Doc wrote: »
    No "may be" about it, they are if it comes to you having to go (Maybe remind them of this?).

pre- 14th September 2009 : No
    after 14th Sept 2009 : Yes

But in OP case employer definitely would be forking out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement